The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks and Cap Problems?

Rate this topic

PunjabiCanucks

37 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

---

My post is pretty much to say we may not be in such a huge cap fiasco as everyone thinks we may be down the road when we are contending for a cup.

I believe with smart resignings of core players and with potential in our young studs we have a chance to do it right. If we can find a #1RD soon while not losing key players we have a shot cap wise!

good look at it. I think it will be hard to keep both Boeser and Garland over the next 2-3 seasons, I could see one of them having to go in order to get another RHD UFA in e.g. 

But its not quite as bad as it could be, given how much of the dead cap and other depth guys are moving off the roster and (hopefully) guys on ELCs like Klimovich and Karlsson coming in. 

23 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

There's going to be a lot of competition at training camp.

I will not be surprised if players get moved.

Saving $2.4 million of dead cap space helps.

By the start of training camp 2023 I think the team is going to look a lot different.

Agreed; teams with stacked bluelines e.g. Jersey, Carolina will also need to send some folks to minors and maybe we could pluck someone off waivers (and with injuries to other teams, I'm sure we could find a taker for one of the pricier forwards in exchange for defensive help).  Pretty sure things will balance out and the cap will work out, esp. with the LTIR available.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Typically the reports out of Vancouver are Cap crunch chaos! This drives hits and views. But the reality is it is not that bad.

Also.  Are people paying attention to what inflation is doing?  The Cap is set based on league wide revenues.  Inflation is running between 7% and 13% across individual  provinces and states. Inflation applies to costs but will also significantly inflate revenues as time goes by.

The cap is going up my friends and possibly a lot in 2 to 3 years.

If wages have not kept up to inflation, there could end up being a lot of empty seats throughout the league. So revenues may not just keep going up from here.

Also,   doesn't a whole lot of escrow have to be dealt with before any major cap increase?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Going into the next season with LTIR we will be cap compliant

-

However the in 2023-2024:

the issue rises with primarily the resigning of Miller and Horvat

secondary pieces of Kuzmenko, Dermott, Schenn, Hoglander

tertiary pieces of :Burroughs and Keeper

Based on current cap space projections we would have 23 M approx to resign the above:

Miller and Horvat when resigned can take up 16M, leaving 7M for the rest

Kuzmenko being the wild card with unknown can take potentially 2 to 3M and heck if he plays really good 4 to 5M a year

Hoglander and Schenn if resigned can take 2M and 1M respectively

Lets say 3+2+1 = 6M of the 7 left over, meaning enough to sign 1 depth defenseman.

Now I'm not saying its impossible, but the $ value should work even in 2023- 2024.

---

In 2024 to 2025 we gain an additional 22 Million approximately with needing to resign Pettersson, Pearson, Dickinson, Podkolzin, Myers and Martin

Now Petty can easily have a beast of a season the next 2 years and take a cap of hypothetically 9M, Podkolzin continues to grow and takes a bridge deal like Petey and Boeser etc. for near 4M based on his current projection of getting better unless he has a beast of a season and takes 6M, lets call it 5M. Myers can be resigned for depth near 4M.

Meaning those 3= 9 + 5 + 4 = 18M

We still have 4M left for a back up goalie, and replacing Pearson, Dickinson, and potentially Martin. Now hopefully those players are traded in the season prior as rentals for other teams, asset management but regardless we have the potential of Karlsson, Klimovich, and Lekkerimaki stepping in at this point at ELC.

---

2025 to 2026 we gain an additional 10M with Boeser, Lazar to resign

Now based on current projections maybe both take up 8 to 9m when resigned

Furthermore at this point the cap should be going up more into possibly the low 90M giving us not and the rest of the teams an extra 5M in spending power.

---

My post is pretty much to say we may not be in such a huge cap fiasco as everyone thinks we may be down the road when we are contending for a cup.

I believe with smart resignings of core players and with potential in our young studs we have a chance to do it right. If we can find a #1RD soon while not losing key players we have a shot cap wise!

I really like your post. I think after training camp there will be some surprises. I think Rathbone, Lockwood, Joshua,  Kuzmenko will have fans excited.. I really think Podkolzin is going to start where he left off at end of season.

I can see teams making moves and we have lots of wingers.

Boeser, Garland, Mikheyev, Podkolzin, Kuzmenko, Hoglander,  Pearson, Joshua, Lockwood...

I still feel there will be a Miller trade-- I feel we won't save much cap space with players back in trade? Maybe 1.5- 2 million

Also feel a winger could be moved if right deal for RD man is available?

Very exciting season coming...

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

If wages have not kept up to inflation, there could end up being a lot of empty seats throughout the league. So revenues may not just keep going up from here.

Also,   doesn't a whole lot of escrow have to be dealt with before any major cap increase?

Escrow is being dealt with this year and next.  Parking concession merchandise and uniform sales will be inflated.  TV revenues will be going way up next contract.

No chance the cap doesn't go up a lot in 2 to 3 years partner.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

hey wait a minute..... are you saying what I think you're saying :ph34r:

Yes I am okay with re-signing Miller to an 8x8 or 9x7 contract.  The cap will be over $100 million by the time Miller is 35-36 years old.  $9 million in 5 years won't even be a top 30 contract.

People that think that $9 million is alot of money for an elite athlete probably don't follow other sports.  Matthew Stafford signed a $65 million per year contract extension with the Rams this summer.  Lebron James just signed a 2 year $97 million extension with the Lakers.  These guys make $9 million every month.  Hockey players are vastly under paid compared to other athletes.  Golfers can make up to $5 million in a single tournament.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

@PunjabiCanucks If we make no player changes as you suggest and merely remain Cap compliant will we win a cup? 

I understand and appreciate what your saying, but keeping status quo in my opinion wont lead to a cup. Your better off selling high on assets and continuously improving your young core pieces while stockpiling your draft/prospect system. Prime example is Tampa.

We may be cap complaint going forward, but that doesn't make us better.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

@PunjabiCanucks If we make no player changes as you suggest and merely remain Cap compliant will we win a cup? 

I understand and appreciate what your saying, but keeping status quo in my opinion wont lead to a cup. Your better off selling high on assets and continuously improving your young core pieces while stockpiling your draft/prospect system. Prime example is Tampa.

We may be cap complaint going forward, but that doesn't make us better.

Is there a NHL team that isn't cap compliant come puck drop?

Edited by Chris12345

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

I really like your post. I think after training camp there will be some surprises. I think Rathbone, Lockwood, Joshua,  Kuzmenko will have fans excited.. I really think Podkolzin is going to start where he left off at end of season.

I can see teams making moves and we have lots of wingers.

Boeser, Garland, Mikheyev, Podkolzin, Kuzmenko, Hoglander,  Pearson, Joshua, Lockwood...

I still feel there will be a Miller trade-- I feel we won't save much cap space with players back in trade? Maybe 1.5- 2 million

Also feel a winger could be moved if right deal for RD man is available?

Very exciting season coming...

Dont think anyone is excited about depth guys at best in lockwood, joshua, Rathbone.  Kuz hasnt shown he can play in the nhl. I have high hopes but you never know.. the khl is a crap league