The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks and Cap Problems?

Rate this topic

PunjabiCanucks

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

Karlsson and Klimovich on ELCs can replace Pearson and Dickie in the F group to save cap. 

I'm a fan of neither of these vets but I'd wait for players to have at least 1 solid season in the AHL before penciling them into NHL lineups.

• Cheers 1

I’m looking forward to this season because we are  loaded up front.  We are going to score a ton of goals.  There’s no reason why the PK can’t be average.  An increased focus on defensive play by Bruce as encouraged by Rutherford at seasons end should help our weaker defence as quicker forwards are back checking.  And of course we have Demko.  Call me glass half full but the Canucks should make the playoffs no problem.  The only major hurdle is that JT Miller situation.  Count me as a supporter to trade him at the deadline if a contract can’t be signed.  The big question is… what will that do to a room that loves the big guy?  I think the communication around this possibility is already present around the team.  Nobody would be shocked if a trade occurred.  However if the team is crushing it and look like contenders for the cup… a trade of Miller could fracture team confidence.  Ohhhh the drama!  I can’t wait for October.  Should be an amazing season.

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I'm a fan of neither of these vets but I'd wait for players to have at least 1 solid season in the AHL before penciling them into NHL lineups.

For me, I need to see 1 solid season in the NHL before replacing them.  AHL doesn't mean anything in reality.  There are lots of players who have good AHL seasons that doesn't translate to the NHL.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Currently yes, but thats easily remedied for most teams. Im just saying being cap compliant doesn't make one a good enough team to win a cup

Exactly.

And I am saying there isn't a team that is not compliant. All 32 teams eventually become compliant.

31 teams lose. 31/32 cap compliant teams don't do it.

5 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Typically the reports out of Vancouver are Cap crunch chaos! This drives hits and views. But the reality is it is not that bad.

Also.  Are people paying attention to what inflation is doing?  The Cap is set based on league wide revenues.  Inflation is running between 7% and 13% across individual  provinces and states. Inflation applies to costs but will also significantly inflate revenues as time goes by.

The cap is going up my friends and possibly a lot in 2 to 3 years.

2024 sitting at 90 possibly, if not 2025.

Wish we can sign long term contracts. under 10M before other teams go crazy.

Only person who may get paid more then McDavid is Bedard in 4 years time when he may take 15M of a possible 95M cap

Great post but I haven’t been worried about it. Essentially Myers is over paid. Gone in 2 years. Dickinson can be buried if need be. OEL is a bit overpaid but a solid defencemen. Pearson is very tradable if need be. Everyone else is either on an average AAV or better for their play. Big mess Benning left us lol

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Devron said:

Great post but I haven’t been worried about it. Essentially Myers is over paid. Gone in 2 years. Dickinson can be buried if need be. OEL is a bit overpaid but a solid defencemen. Pearson is very tradable if need be. Everyone else is either on an average AAV or better for their play. Big mess Benning left us lol

I think Mikheyev at $4.75m x 4 is a pretty big question mark...his best season so far is only 32 pts...we need a lot more than that for a forward that's in our top 6 (i.e. a top 6 forward in terms of cap hit anyway).

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I think Mikheyev at $4.75m x 4 is a pretty big question mark...his best season so far is only 32 pts...we need a lot more than that for a forward that's in our top 6 (i.e. a top 6 forward in terms of cap hit anyway).

I agree he his. I really like the idea of him and what he brings but I left that out as it’s more of a wait and see with him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes I am okay with re-signing Miller to an 8x8 or 9x7 contract.  The cap will be over $100 million by the time Miller is 35-36 years old.  $9 million in 5 years won't even be a top 30 contract.

People that think that $9 million is alot of money for an elite athlete probably don't follow other sports.  Matthew Stafford signed a $65 million per year contract extension with the Rams this summer.  Lebron James just signed a 2 year $97 million extension with the Lakers.  These guys make $9 million every month.  Hockey players are vastly under paid compared to other athletes.  Golfers can make up to $5 million in a single tournament.  

Miller is nearly 30.

I am ok giving him his money.  But not ridiculous term. This is what American teams, for the most part, do so well. Probably has to do with (better taxes, understated ability to get dual Citizenship) less pressure in most of their markets.  But even NYR are not busting stupid out these days.  

5 x $8.25M.  That makes him filthy rich, lets him play with Petey & Quinn which got his career going. He knows it too, BTW! And help us finish what we started. 

Lets by honest, would he get 7 x $8M or $9M on the open market? He would need a friendly circumstance and team.

After all this player movement the thing I look forward to is what Coach B does with these hooligans. As much as I didn't really care for Hunt, I  would acknowledge that Coach B has a good sense of loyalty to his players. With Coach B I see our special teams not starting in the mud this year. I can't wait to see our forecheck this year too. If Hog's shoots more this year he could turn it around. I can't wait see our d corps fully healthy this year. And whichever one can help us out by playing the RHD side should. Spencer. As much as I like cap space I'm glad we have OEL backing up Huggy on the PP. It'll be great to see which players come back ready to play, and get our season started off the right way this year.

• Cheers 2

This is the exact type of thinking that got us in this mess. If you're not a top 4 team you shouldn't be happy scraping in $3 under cap. That's why we can never adjust from year to year and are always one step/player behind. So yeah it's really pointless and not a good idea just because you can.

Not to mention you have zero contingency plan. This JB method at its finest. 

9 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

@PunjabiCanucks If we make no player changes as you suggest and merely remain Cap compliant will we win a cup? 

I understand and appreciate what your saying, but keeping status quo in my opinion wont lead to a cup. Your better off selling high on assets and continuously improving your young core pieces while stockpiling your draft/prospect system. Prime example is Tampa.

We may be cap complaint going forward, but that doesn't make us better.

9 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Is there a NHL team that isn't cap compliant come puck drop?

Exactly. Spending to the cap doesn't make you win a Cup.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

I was thinking two. We have Peardickie for two more seasons. 

40 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

This is the exact type of thinking that got us in this mess. If you're not a top 4 team you shouldn't be happy scraping in $3 under cap. That's why we can never adjust from year to year and are always one step/player behind. So yeah it's really pointless and not a good idea just because you can.

Not to mention you have zero contingency plan. This JB method at its finest. 

is it, or is it that Benning just made bad pro scouting choices? of course some cap flexibility is good, and JR has said he wants that here, but I'd say the player choices had a bigger effect than cap alone. 

• Cheers 1

Only reason the cap is talked about so much is because we are currently over cap with a team that doesn't make the playoffs. The cap isn't as bad as the media would make it seem, but it is, because we are not a playoff team!

If we were TB or any other team over the cap consistently competing for a cup the talk would be more about how we play than our cap issues... 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, JM_ said:

is it, or is it that Benning just made bad pro scouting choices? of course some cap flexibility is good, and JR has said he wants that here, but I'd say the player choices had a bigger effect than cap alone. 

Probably a combination of both. You're right though JB has a lot of us gun shy with his poor choices and allocation. For good reason lol. It's all wrapped up together. It's still not good to be spending to the cap with a non playoff team, nor is it wise to leave yourself with no contingency either and no plan for unforeseen circumstances. First you build up the team, and then spend to the cap. Not the other way around.

The OP sounds like a 21 year old college kid making a budget for the school year. :lol: Just joking but you know it seems like lavish spending without worrying about the need for things like food, medicine, cleaning supplies, etc. Ah they'll just take care of themselves.

Edited by Gawdzukes

11 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Probably a combination of both. You're right though JB has a lot of us gun shy with his poor choices and allocation. For good reason lol. It's all wrapped up together. It's still not good to be spending to the cap with a non playoff team,

depends, maybe you're "weaponizing" cap space and gaining picks, its not absolute. Not that we know how that feels here, but still. 

nor is it wise to leave yourself with no contingency either and not plan for unforeseen circumstances. First you build up the team, and then spend to the cap. Not the other way around.

JR seems to agree with you. Right now though with covid cap nearly 1/2 the league is in LTIR so the cap will have to go up before we see that happen here. 

The OP sounds like 21 year old college kid making a budget for the school year. :lol: Just joking but you know it seems like lavish spending without worrying about the need for things like food, medicine, cleaning supplies, etc. Ah they'll just take care of themselves.

maybe he is, I liked his attempt to cool some of the cap freak outs. The cap situation this team is in can be solved sooner than later, particularly if a couple of ELCs can crack the lineup in 1-2 seasons. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

maybe he is, I liked his attempt to cool some of the cap freak outs. The cap situation this team is in can be solved sooner than later, particularly if a couple of ELCs can crack the lineup in 1-2 seasons. 

Yeah I'll give them kudos for a well thought out response to the cap crunch freak out. Very irresponsible and hugely problematic as an actual plan though imo.