The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks and Cap Problems?

Rate this topic

PunjabiCanucks

2 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Pear is bad enough, but Dickie gotta go. He brings yawn producing results and that's when he's having a motivated game. It's only the fact he can sort of play center.

Not very well though. Probably an unmovable contract unless a team is really desperate. Two more years is cringe worthy.

Yeah Dickie is absolutely horrible at everyth ... well Center especially. :picard: If I'm being impartial I actually like how hard he fights, he's rarely out of position defensively and gets some great looks on net. Probably cause he's playing with good players here but he also can't finish worth crap. If he hit 3-5 of those easy sitters the fans would like him a bit more.

He's got to go but I agree he's completely unmovable. He's serviceable though I guess for injury and who knows maybe he is actually somewhat decent when filling a defensive 3rd/4th line role like he played in Dallas. Good old JB brought him in and he played 3rd line Center and Winger on the 1st and 2nd line at times. The old JB square hole round peg syndrome.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Pear is bad enough, but Dickie gotta go. He brings yawn producing results and that's when he's having a motivated game. It's only the fact he can sort of play center.

Not very well though. Probably an unmovable contract unless a team is really desperate. Two more years is cringe worthy.

it is. If we could ditch him for a 3rd to Ottawa I'd take that and run. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We have the room to sign both Miller and Horvat.  Worst case scenario is we can trade Garland to free up the money.  The cap will be at $90 million in 3-4 years, so the cap space will be there to fit all of our star players.  We will even have the cap space to sign Hughes to a mega deal as OEL will be off the books the same summer.

I have no problem with JR/PA if they re-sign Miller to an 8x8 contract, or 9x7.  Not sure why everyone else is freaking out.  In 3-4 years, you will see guys being re-signed to $13-$15 million deals.  What do you think McDavid and Draisaitl are going to get in 3-4 years?  What is MacKinnon going to get next summer?  $12 million?

$9 million won't even be a top 20 contract in 3 years.  

1318829619_could-should(1).jpeg.5dbeb707595c4aaea635fe704aafad48.jpeg

Will Miller even be good when this team is good enough to compete for a cup?  I think he's more likely to be a bad contract by then. 

I really feel BB will have these guys flying when the season starts, and we will be a top 10-12 team

However, our weakness on RHD will be a problem, when playing top notched teams.

I have always thought we can easily be cap compliant, but again, the problem is getting that RHD to play with Hughes, and staying compliant.

A winger has to go! Or Miller! And if it is Miller, than a the parts coming in, will change the Cap situation again.............

So, yes we will be compliant as we stand, but if a trade happens, then our cap will again look different...............

Good analysis on the now, but you need that crystal ball to see the future!

On 8/17/2022 at 4:15 PM, PunjabiCanucks said:

Going into the next season with LTIR we will be cap compliant

-

However the in 2023-2024:

the issue rises with primarily the resigning of Miller and Horvat

secondary pieces of Kuzmenko, Dermott, Schenn, Hoglander

tertiary pieces of :Burroughs and Keeper

Based on current cap space projections we would have 23 M approx to resign the above:

Miller and Horvat when resigned can take up 16M, leaving 7M for the rest

Kuzmenko being the wild card with unknown can take potentially 2 to 3M and heck if he plays really good 4 to 5M a year

Hoglander and Schenn if resigned can take 2M and 1M respectively

Lets say 3+2+1 = 6M of the 7 left over, meaning enough to sign 1 depth defenseman.

Now I'm not saying its impossible, but the $ value should work even in 2023- 2024.

---

In 2024 to 2025 we gain an additional 22 Million approximately with needing to resign Pettersson, Pearson, Dickinson, Podkolzin, Myers and Martin

Now Petty can easily have a beast of a season the next 2 years and take a cap of hypothetically 9M, Podkolzin continues to grow and takes a bridge deal like Petey and Boeser etc. for near 4M based on his current projection of getting better unless he has a beast of a season and takes 6M, lets call it 5M. Myers can be resigned for depth near 4M.

Meaning those 3= 9 + 5 + 4 = 18M

We still have 4M left for a back up goalie, and replacing Pearson, Dickinson, and potentially Martin. Now hopefully those players are traded in the season prior as rentals for other teams, asset management but regardless we have the potential of Karlsson, Klimovich, and Lekkerimaki stepping in at this point at ELC.

---

2025 to 2026 we gain an additional 10M with Boeser, Lazar to resign

Now based on current projections maybe both take up 8 to 9m when resigned

Furthermore at this point the cap should be going up more into possibly the low 90M giving us not and the rest of the teams an extra 5M in spending power.

---

My post is pretty much to say we may not be in such a huge cap fiasco as everyone thinks we may be down the road when we are contending for a cup.

I believe with smart resignings of core players and with potential in our young studs we have a chance to do it right. If we can find a #1RD soon while not losing key players we have a shot cap wise!

Just read that we picked up Rodriguez and De Haan and waiving dickenson for buy out... If it's true, that will help but still waiting to see if it's true or not...

Edited by iceman64