The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Nazem Kadri

1 minute ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Maybe, but I'm not so sure. Kadri was just as good of a player in the league last year as Miller was. You could argue that Miller was a little bit better, but not by much. Kadri is also a pure centre, whereas teams around the league might view Miller as more of a winger (despite his faceoff prowess). 

You think kadri is in the same tier as Miller?  I think he's a notch below Miller and, if anything, this strengthens Millers demands for a huge contract

3 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Maybe, but I'm not so sure. Kadri was just as good of a player in the league last year as Miller was. You could argue that Miller was a little bit better, but not by much. Kadri is also a pure centre, whereas teams around the league might view Miller as more of a winger (despite his faceoff prowess). 

We can put it this way... Miller is not $15 to $20 million better than Kadri. 

6 minutes ago, GB5 said:

I think turning Chucky, Monahan and Johnny into Huberdeau, Weegar and Kadri is pretty solid.

Very different players but I think the incoming guys have a better team focus as opposed to some of the me focused ongoing guys.

I agree; I think they are actually a better team in 2022 & 2023 now (than with Jon=hnny and Tkachuk). The problem is that Kadri and Hub are old and on big contracts. They have a 2-3 year window with Kadri, Hub, Marky, and tanev.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I'd almost argue it's a decent comp for both JTM and Horvat.

JTM would get a tad more, and Horvat would get about the same (due to age).

You consider Miller a franchise player.......do you consider Kadri one too?

Just when everyone thought the Flames were done - Treliving does stuff and the Flames future over the next few years is bright and shiny (like the Cup)

What the heck are JR/PA doing? I'm thinking they have to keep Miller now, just to try and compete. 

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yeah, I see it more as leverage for Miller, who is a much better player than Kadri.

Yeah it means Miller is worth at the very least 8 over the same term, probably more like 8.5/9 in comparison. Kadri is a full 2+ years older.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I agree; I think they are actually a better team in 2022 & 2023 now (than with Jon=hnny and Tkachuk). The problem is that Kadri and Hub are old and on big contracts. They have a 2-3 year window with Kadri, Hub, Marky, and tanev.

How are Kadri and Huberdeau old?  They can skate as well as any two players in the league and have conditioning for days.  Both are elite players, esp Huberdeau who is the best winger in the game.  

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

You consider Miller a franchise player.......do you consider Kadri one too?

Put some numbers to it.  Kadri just came off a year where he was on pace for 100 points. If he was the main guy on a team and not behind Nathan Mackinnon, then why not?  Assuming he is still a PPG+ player elsewhere.  If he was with NYI, Nashville, etc... would he be the #1 guy? 

So you honestly think JT Miller will get $15 to $20M more than Nazem Kadri?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yeah, I see it more as leverage for Miller, who is a much better player than Kadri.

I disagree. They've been pretty comparable over most of their careers with the slight edge to Miller the past couple years (but Kadri being great in the playoffs those years). But last year they were at practically the same point per game pace. If they were the same age Miller might be worth 0.5M more per season. Where it becomes tricky is that Miller is 2.5 years younger than Kadri.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Honestly don't think Flames are that much better. Their defense is better with Weegar but their forward group is lacking IMO. I think Huberdeau will not be as effective without Barkov. Kadri is not an elite centerman and frankly, better suited as a 2nd line center. We'll see what happens but I think they may struggle under Sutter's coaching.

Lindholm is C1.  Kadri being C2 pushes Backlund to C3.

Huberdeau didn't play with Barkov but he will now be on the clear top line.

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

How are Kadri and Huberdeau old?  They can skate as well as any two players in the league and have conditioning for days.  Both are elite players, esp Huberdeau who is the best winger in the game.  

30 & 32 signed for 8 and 7 respectively. We are scared of OEL @ 35 and JT at 37; imagine Hub at 38 or Kadri at 39!

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Honestly don't think Flames are that much better. Their defense is better with Weegar but their forward group is lacking IMO. I think Huberdeau will not be as effective without Barkov. Kadri is not an elite centerman and frankly, better suited as a 2nd line center. We'll see what happens but I think they may struggle under Sutter's coaching.

Removing two locker room cancers in the turtle and the midget should help.  I'm still shocked Kadri didn't choose to sign with a men's team though.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Haha 1