The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Monahan, 1st to Montreal

AngryElf

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Don't even. Wasn't last year either. They fluked their way. A Canadian team was gifted a final 4 spot and they got to play Toronto round one. Found a lowkey Habs supporter lol

Wasn’t this year. So it was last year. And sure. Fluked. If you say so. 

41 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Stranger things have happened 

It’s a pretty massive risk considering the prize this year.  Nobody thought much of Vegas missing last year and Calgary will need to find chemistry amongst all the changes.  Now I do think laden and huberdeau are better 2 way players than the two that left so they are probably second favourite in the division after Edmonton if not #1.

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Wasn’t this year. So it was last year. And sure. Fluked. If you say so. 

Lol, Cup final to last in the league, Prior to that was also trash. How do you figure they just became a top team for one shortened season? Where they only played Canadian teams? Idk man 

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Smart GMing by Montreal to add a 1st...they only had 250k of cap space so literally any NHL team could have gotten a 1st to take Monahan...Rangers 2.0 happening with Gorton at the helm stock piling picks and hopeully turning them into young ELC players for Montreal.

I forgot Gorton was there. I was wondering why they made this smart move.

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Having a reasonably healthy Price and Weber does that.

Yeah. Like I said. It hasn’t  been a never ending rebuild. Losing Price and Weber in one year (plus setting an nhl record for man games lost) really hurt them.  They aren’t going to be good for the next few years after legitimately stating the rebuild at the trade deadline. But they’re not perennial tankers. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Having a reasonably healthy Price and Weber does that.

and dumb luck. That was a bubble fluke, so many things broke their way out of their control. Once they hit a healthy team they got steamrolled. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Master Mind said:

I'd be surprised if Calgary gets back anything of value. I'd think they'll need to pay to offload him.

Absolutely right. After two serious hip surgeries it is unlikely that Monahan will ever be anything more than bottom-6 forward,  as he was when healthy last year. And he could easily be worse than that, if he is even ready to play when the season begins.

If Montreal does get a first round pick for just one  year of absorbing Monahan's cap hit, however, that is a pretty good deal for them given where they are in their cycle. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

you're reaching to make really false equivalencies. 

Not exactly. My statement that giving up good players to get better, and the implication that Vancouver hasnt figured this out yet, does track. given the context  that Calgary gave up a good player (Monahan, and a 1st) in order to get even better (Kadri).

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

Not exactly. My statement that giving up good players to get better, and the implication that Vancouver hasnt figured this out yet, does track. given the context  that Calgary gave up a good player (Monahan, and a 1st) in order to get even better (Kadri).

monahan isn't a good player. they had to give up a 1st round pick to offload him. calgary did not willingly move good players to get better. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Amazing how a several years ago Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk was their first line in CGY. Every single piece gone now.

Let's just hope we can't say the same ... as in "amazing to think, EP, Miller and Brock used to our Lotto line" and now they are all gone.     My bet - is that 2/3 of that crew will be gone within 2 years....all 3 well balls. 

Edited by IBatch

7 minutes ago, tas said:

monahan isn't a good player. they had to give up a 1st round pick to offload him. calgary did not willingly move good players to get better. 

I love how canucks fans just automatically say things like "Monahan isn't a good player". In comparison to who? Wayne Gretzky? Miller? Ovechkin? sure yeah he's trash. But of course he's a good player. Yes calgary had to use a late first to move him, but they are moving his salary in order to sign a more desirable player. So really your statement is incorrect.

If you said Monahan is a good player, but in order to sign a better player they needed to move his salary, and in todays NHL that costs a first. Then we are in agreement. (Although I still stand by my statement that the Canucks could learn a thing or two here.)

By your logic, Pacioretty is no good because he was a dump, however he is good. Vegas just valued Eichel more. You see where I'm going with this?

• Like 1