The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Monahan, 1st to Montreal

AngryElf

44 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I love how canucks fans just automatically say things like "Monahan isn't a good player". In comparison to who? Wayne Gretzky? Miller? Ovechkin? sure yeah he's trash. But of course he's a good player. Yes calgary had to use a late first to move him, but they are moving his salary in order to sign a more desirable player. So really your statement is incorrect.

If you said Monahan is a good player, but in order to sign a better player they needed to move his salary, and in todays NHL that costs a first. Then we are in agreement. (Although I still stand by my statement that the Canucks could learn a thing or two here.)

By your logic, Pacioretty is no good because he was a dump, however he is good. Vegas just valued Eichel more. You see where I'm going with this?

the difference between monahan and pacioretty is that pacioretty hasn't sucked for the last 3 years. 

if you're considering monahan a good player at the time of this trade, the transitive property requires you to also consider loui eriksson a good player at the time the canucks traded him. therefore the canucks deliberately traded a "good" player to improve. 

Edited by tas

Here are the conditions on the 2025 first-round pick (it's going to confuse you):

1. In the event Calgary's own 2024 first (1st) round choice is selection 20-32 (inclusive) (following the determination of the 2024 NHL Draft lottery results), then Montreal shall have the option, exercisable until 48 hours prior to the start of the 2024 NHL draft, to exchange the conditional 2025 or 2026 first round choice to become Calgary's own 2024 first (1st) round choice); or,

If Florida's 2025 First (1st) Round Choice Transfers to Calgary (pursuant to the conditions on an earlier trade)

2. In the event the conditions to trigger Montreal's option as noted in #1 above does not occur, or Montreal declines to exercise this option, the following conditions shall prevail:

• A) If both Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice and Florida's 2025 first (1st) round choice (previously acquired by Calgary) are not in the top-10 selections of the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), then Montreal shall receive the earlier of the two (2) stated choices; or,
  • B) If Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is a top-10 selection and Florida's 2025 first round selection (previously acquired by Calgary) is outside of the top-10 selections (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Montreal shall receive Florida's 2025 first (1st) round choice).

If Florida's 2025 First Round Choice DOES NOT Transfer to Calgary (pursuant to the conditions on an earlier trade)

3. In the event the conditions to trigger Montreal's option as noted in #1 above does not occur, or Montreal declines to exercise this option, the following conditions shall prevail:

A. If Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is not in the top-10 selections of the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Montreal shall receive Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice, and additionally,

• 1) If Florida's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is not in the top-10 selections of the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results); and,
  • 2) Florida's 2025 first (1st) round choice has been transferred to another NHL Club; and,
  • 3) Florida's 2025 first round draft position is better than Calgary's 2025 first round draft position; then Calgary will transfer their own 2025 fourth round choice to Montreal.

B. If Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is a top-10 selection (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Montreal shall receive Calgary's 2025 first (1st) round choice, subject to the following condition below:

• 1) In the event Calgary's 2025 first (1st) round choice is the first (1st) selection overall in the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Calgary will retain its own 2025 first (1st) round choice and Montreal shall instead receive Calgary's own 2025 third (3rd) round choice and a conditional 2026 first (1st) round choice. Montreal shall receive the better of Calgary's 2026 first (1st) round choice or Florida's 2026 first (1st) round choice (following the determination of the 2026 NHL Draft lottery results) (previously conditionally acquired by Calgary).

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/canadiens-acquire-sean-monahan-from-flames/c-335312254

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The conditions on this pick made my head spin. Couldn't get through it all.

My LTDR; CGY trying not to give up a lotto pick.

I have a feeling some other team ultimately ends up with this pick. 

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Myers hammered Keith last season, and now he is getting to do the same to Kadri... I shall be looking forward to see that piece of shit being creamed...

Let’s just hope they do move out Lucic so that it’s safer to retaliate against Kadri for the inevitable dirty crap he’s gonna pull against one of our players. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Maybe he gets waived? 

Would be nice but I doubt it. He’s still valuable to that team. I just wish he was gone because he’s still such a beast, haha. I have a love/hate for him as a player. 

• Cheers 2