The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van + WPG [proposal]

To the Jets. Pearson + Dickinson + Hoglander + Rathbone + 3rd

To Van  Lowry + Brendan Dillon + 5th

WPG gets 2 young cost controlled players which is pretty hard for them to come by. Dillon is a bit over paid but is still one heck of a shut down D to get OEL and Hughes off the PK. 

Pete Miller Boeser

Kuzmenko Bo Garland

Mikheyev Lowry Podkolzin

Dakota Lazar Karlsson

Hughes Schenn (Ain't broke)

OEL  Myers (Better deployment than last year)

Dillon Dermott (Shut down)

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, hammertime said:

To the Jets. Pearson + Dickinson + Hoglander + Rathbone + 3rd

To Van  Lowry + Brendan Dillon + 5th

WPG gets 2 young cost controlled players which is pretty hard for them to come by. Dillon is a bit over paid but is still one heck of a shut down D to get OEL and Hughes off the PK

Pete Miller Boeser

Kuzmenko Bo Garland

Mikheyev Lowry Podkolzin

Dakota Lazar Karlsson

Hughes Schenn (Ain't broke)

OEL  Myers (Better deployment than last year)

Dillon Dermott (Shut down)

It's tough to comment since I don't follow the Jets enough to know how they value their two vets.
However, for the bold alone I don't really see us doing the deal (Boudreau likes to utilize his skilled guys on the PK, and that's been the case since Washington, with great success; guys like Pete and Hughes have the smarts to thrive on the PK).  

• Upvote 4

Two guys that are big and slow, which is the opposite of how JR wants to build this team, which is with speed and skill.  5 years ago I'd be all over these guys.  But the game has changed.  Colorado has big players but they all can skate and have lots of skill.  Edmonton got rid of Kassian and Calgary lost Gudbranson and Tkachuk.  Vegas is also a smaller team now.  I don't mind some bigger players but they have to have speed and skill to match.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Two guys that are big and slow, which is the opposite of how JR wants to build this team, which is with speed and skill.  5 years ago I'd be all over these guys.  But the game has changed.  Colorado has big players but they all can skate and have lots of skill.  Edmonton got rid of Kassian and Calgary lost Gudbranson and Tkachuk.  Vegas is also a smaller team now.  I don't mind some bigger players but they have to have speed and skill to match.

While I agree. I'd probably hope to lean on those teams. We have added some speed on the wings with Mikheyev and Kuzmenko. Pearson and Dickinson are obsolete. Lowry would be a pure shutdown 3c we need along with Dillon our PK would finally be decent enough to allow our guys to play a lil more free wheelin. 

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

While I agree. I'd probably hope to lean on those teams. We have added some speed on the wings with Mikheyev and Kuzmenko. Pearson and Dickinson are obsolete. Lowry would be a pure shutdown 3c we need along with Dillon our PK would finally be decent enough to allow our guys to play a lil more free wheelin. 

Like I said, if Reaves, Gudbranson and a few other guys were still in the conference I'd be all over those two guys.  But Boudreau likes to play the skill guys on the PK so Dillon would be obsolete on the PK.  Lowry I wouldn't mind but his contract sucks ($3.25 million for 4 more years and he's almost 30) and I wouldn't want us to trade for another player with a long term deal pushing 30. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Like I said, if Reaves, Gudbranson and a few other guys were still in the conference I'd be all over those two guys.  But Boudreau likes to play the skill guys on the PK so Dillon would be obsolete on the PK.  Lowry I wouldn't mind but his contract sucks ($3.25 million for 4 more years and he's almost 30) and I wouldn't want us to trade for another player with a long term deal pushing 30. 

I get the premise of your arguments, but from a playoff push perspective I see the value of the type of guys that OP is suggesting (Lightning bottom 6 is full of bigger/ rugged/ fast and contributing guys e.g. Hagel, Paul, Colton, Perry, Maroon; Avalanche had mostly speed in Helm, Compher, Cogliano, Sturm, O'Connor, Aube-Kubel, but their top-6 also has size e.g. Gabe, Nate, Mikko, Val) so it helps to add a gritty 3rd C with faceoff ability to stabilize the line (our bottom-6 wingers are pretty fast with some mix of Mikheyev, Kuzmenko, Hoglander, Podkolzin), and I don't think the contract is too far from other comparables around the league (Laughton $3*4 years at 28, Faksa $3.25 * 3 years at 28).  If some mix of the offered players in the OP can obtain one of these types of C I'd be down for it (maybe Pearson + lower pick?).  Agreed though, (unless it's for a RD) adding Dillon doesn't really make sense, esp. when it reduces Quinn and OEL's defensive role (which I echoed they likely will keep in my earlier post).

Edited by Phil_314
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, singing chef said:

I fail to understand why many posters undervalue what Pearson brings to this team, and dismiss him as being "obsolete" or expendable.  There are Stanley Cup aspiring teams that need a couple of Pearsons to put them over the top.

Yep.   I wanted him traded so bad when JB was still around before he signed him... then he did and was like "wow" what a great signing for JB.   And we've done the year he couldn't be traded.    Now he's one of the assets we can use to create cap space for our centers.   Or sign a guy like Severson in the off season... But this year at least, i'm pretty sure we keep him for our own playoffs which im betting we make.   

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Funny thing... how many trade proposals were on this site for Lowry?  Quite a few.   Guess times have changed lol. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, singing chef said:

I fail to understand why many posters undervalue what Pearson brings to this team, and dismiss him as being "obsolete" or expendable.  There are Stanley Cup aspiring teams that need a couple of Pearsons to put them over the top.

Uhhh.. I really cant see a team like Avalanche or Tampa Bay putting Pearson in their lineup. Hes not fast, not gritty, not a relentless forechecker and definitely not top 6. 

8 hours ago, singing chef said:

With Mikheyev and Kuzmenko Pearson doesnt really have a spot on the team thats all I was getting at. 

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

With Mikheyev and Kuzmenko Pearson doesnt really have a spot on the team thats all I was getting at. 

Just because he doesn’t have a top six spot anymore doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be extremely valuable on the 3rd line, which he’d be better suited for at this point in his carer. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, hammertime said:

different type of players. Kuzmenko has never played an NHL game, he hasn't proven he can play in the NHL yes.

Pearson is on a VERY team friendly contract, I wouldn't trade him unless its for a good return.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

different type of players. Kuzmenko has never played an NHL game, he hasn't proven he can play in the NHL yes.

Pearson is on a VERY team friendly contract, I wouldn't trade him unless its for a good return.

Pearson is NOT on a team friendly deal.  Until the 2024 TDL (his UFA year) he actually has NEGATIVE trade value.  

Benning hamstrung us with several of these”TOXIC” contracts.  

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pearson is NOT on a team friendly deal.  Until the 2024 TDL (his UFA year) he actually has NEGATIVE trade value.  

Benning hamstrung us with several of these”TOXIC” contracts.  

Look around the NHL, he gets paid 3.25 million to produce roughly .5 points per game, he kills penalties, he's relied on to help close out games, he rarely takes games off.

There are a LOT of players out there making more and not giving even close to the same level.

On the open market, Pearson is easily the same contract.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Look around the NHL, he gets paid 3.25 million to produce roughly .5 points per game, he kills penalties, he's relied on to help close out games, he rarely takes games off.

There are a LOT of players out there making more and not giving even close to the same level.

On the open market, Pearson is easily the same contract.

Pearson is not tradable without sugar.