The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bill Daly believes NHL salary cap could rise significantly after 2023-24 season

Rate this topic

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/bill-daly-believes-nhl-salary-cap-could-rise-significantly-after-2023-24-season/

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly is optimistic the salary cap can get a significant boost after the 2023-24 season -- a year ahead of earlier forecasts from the league.

"I’ve seen some preliminary estimates recently which would make me more optimistic on the cap gong up sooner whether that’s in two seasons or three seasons, I think it’s more likely than not two seasons rather than three," Daly said in an interview with Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek from European Media Day on Wednesday.

Daly said revenue projections for the 2022-23 season are "very solid" -- meaning the cap bump could come ahead of schedule.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Between pandemics, climate crises, wars, inflation and political unrest, I'm not too confident in predicting the long-term health of the NHL or any other part of the economy at this point. Feels like humanity is at a tipping point. I hope he's right though!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

This isn't too surprising. Given the flat cap for years in addition to huge inflation, I would be surprised if the cap doesn't rise significantly, unless the economy suffers to an ever greater degree than inflation rises (and how much the cap has been held down with the flat cap).

if I'm not mistaken, the NHL made record revenues (or close to it) this past year.

1 hour ago, Strawbone said:

Between pandemics, climate crises, wars, inflation and political unrest, I'm not too confident in predicting the long-term health of the NHL or any other part of the economy at this point. Feels like humanity is at a tipping point. I hope he's right though!

I can't believe league and  players association allows Coyotes to play in 5,000 seat arena ?

Not much revenue there? I always thought NHL team had to play in building with over 15,500 seats?

Coyotes should of been moved years ago..

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I can't believe league and  players association allows Coyotes to play in 5,000 seat arena ?

Not much revenue there? I always thought NHL team had to play in building with over 15,500 seats?

Coyotes should of been moved years ago..

More fans came to see the Vancouver Grizzlies in the NBA than normally go watch the Coyotes.

Even the low point Vancouver averaged 13,737 fans per game in 2000-01.

That's what's sad. Hell I bet more fans watched the Seattle Supersonics before they moved.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

This isn't too surprising. Given the flat cap for years in addition to huge inflation, I would be surprised if the cap doesn't rise significantly, unless the economy suffers to an ever greater degree than inflation rises (and how much the cap has been held down with the flat cap).

if I'm not mistaken, the NHL made record revenues (or close to it) this past year.

Don't look now but they're saying the inflation rate peaked in June.  Normally it takes about 3 months for trends like this to show themselves.

This doesn't mean that interest rates won't continue to rise because they want inflation to continue to drop but I would say this is great news providing we don't see any reckless stimulus coming out of Santa Justin's stocking.

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Rising cap just when Matthews becomes a UFA, so he can get 15 x 7 from the Coyotes.  LOSER LEAFS going to LOSE 

Based on today's numbers Matthews can get up to $16.5 million per year.  If the cap hits $90 million then that number shoots up to $18 million.

Not sure about Matthews but you can almost guarantee that McDavid's next contract is 18x8.

And some posters are worried about paying Miller 8x8...   :lol:

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

I don’t get why Daly would say that now. Players/Agents could negotiate accordingly to it eventually going up and ask for more mondo before it actually goes up. 

“Cap’s going to go up so you gotta adjust your offer on a long-term deal”

Can someone tell me what difference this will make for the average fan?

No matter what the cap number,  there will be certain unalienable truths:

-ticket prices will steadily go up

-concession prices will steadily go up

-desperate NHL GM's will spend every penny of extra cap room as fast as they can access it

-fan experiences at games won't be enhanced by increasing the cap

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

And bang goes the Miller for 8M+x7 or 8x8 out of the window

The news Canucks brasses didn't need to come out prior to Miller and Horvat negotiations... 

Agents and players be like....

Happy Mr Johnson GIF by ABC Network

not sure its going to effect current negotiations all that much, 2 seasons vs 3 is what Daly said, so it still not certain what "significant" even means. 5 mil 2 or 3 years from now?

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

And bang goes the Miller for 8M+x7 or 8x8 out of the window

The news Canucks brasses didn't need to come out prior to Miller and Horvat negotiations... 

Agents and players be like....

Happy Mr Johnson GIF by ABC Network

Well done bringing Miller into this conversation :P

53 minutes ago, JM_ said:

not sure its going to effect current negotiations all that much, 2 seasons vs 3 is what Daly said, so it still not certain what "significant" even means. 5 mil 2 or 3 years from now?

I think the closer to we get to the cap rise, the more likely it is the top players will request more... 

15 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Wasn't Bill Daly the guy that approved the Loungo contract originally?

Isn't he also the same guy that was talking about how San Jose was in the right to turf the Evander Kane contract?

How's that working out?

26 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I think the closer to we get to the cap rise, the more likely it is the top players will request more... 

oh no doubt. Just not sure it effects our current negotiations with Bo or.... who's that other guy? 

I can see it really making the Petey extension harder than it should be. 

• Cheers 1