The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Red Wings re-sign Filip Zadina

6 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

That's a great aav!  Obviously, he hasn't lived up to the expectation on being drafted 8th oa?  But started putting it together this year and his game is headed in the right direction.  

He was drafted 6th overall before quinn hughes.  But yes good aav either way if hes good or bad

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

That's a great aav!  Obviously, he hasn't lived up to the expectation on being drafted 8th oa?  But started putting it together this year and his game is headed in the right direction.  

Plus well someone else already said it.  We can start sending Bergevin thank you cards, if he didn't go off board, zero chance Detroit wouldn't have let QHs go...Zadina was a top 2-4 pick on virtually all the pundits...It was him vs Svecknikov.   He wasn't supposed to be around at 6.    

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Plus well someone else already said it.  We can start sending Bergevin thank you cards, if he didn't go off board, zero chance Detroit wouldn't have let QHs go...Zadina was a top 2-4 pick on virtually all the pundits...It was him vs Svecknikov.   He wasn't supposed to be around at 6.    

Arizona deserves credit as well for going VERY off the board with Hayton.

• Cheers 3

10 hours ago, Lionized27 said:

Yzerman v. Sakic as GM's will be fun to watch. 

Stevie has a way to go yet to be in that comp. This is a decent contract but the pick at 6th is a bit of a miss. Not Virtanen miss but still. 

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Stevie has a way to go yet to be in that comp. This is a decent contract but the pick at 6th is a bit of a miss. Not Virtanen miss but still. 

Was a pick made under Holland.  Yzerman's 1st draft was Moritz Seider - he doesn't draft though and leaves his scouts that responsibility.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Really? Tampa Bay says different. He built that for the most part. 

This is kind of an incredible deal for Detroit. 1.8m is good value for what he currently brings, but is a bargain if he develops. It also ends when he is 25 going on 26 and still an RFA. So if he does develop, they can long term him until 33-34 instead of 36-37 like most deals, which seems minor but feels pretty significant since 34 seems to be the drop off age for average players. If he doesn't develop they can still short term him or whatever. Either way, it's the perfect deal to not buy any UFA years. It's the perfect dollar for a developing guy. Detroit making good moves, as per usual.

On 8/26/2022 at 1:55 PM, Mustard Tiger said:

Thank you once again Detroit :)

Canucks had pretty terrible draft luck during the Benning years but this one worked out pretty well anyway. 

I guess the Pettersson one too, although I wonder where the Canucks had Makar on their list.

33 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Canucks had pretty terrible draft luck during the Benning years but this one worked out pretty well anyway. 

I guess the Pettersson one too, although I wonder where the Canucks had Makar on their list.

Demko, Podkolzin... A number of picks worked out....

The boom or bust first round inconsistencies were a problem for sure.  Gunslinger mentality  management.

The jury is out on the Allvin era.  Might turn out to be a little to safe, but all solid pick... Not necessarily the bpa.  It's been interesting so far, I have been impressed with Rutherford.  I trust his his vision, and appreciate the clear communication... Hopefully success will follow shortly.  

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

I remember hearing that Makar was their first choice but don't have a link for that.