The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Red Wings re-sign Filip Zadina

14 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Canucks had pretty terrible draft luck during the Benning years but this one worked out pretty well anyway. 

I guess the Pettersson one too, although I wonder where the Canucks had Makar on their list.

I could be wrong but didn’t they have Petey and Makar as their 1 and 2?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

I could be wrong but didn’t they have Petey and Makar as their 1 and 2?

Benning confirmed that he tried to move up and the rumour was that he was targeting Makar.  Pettersson was expected to be there at 5 but not Makar.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 2

18 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Demko, Podkolzin... A number of picks worked out....

I think you misunderstood my point.

Demko wasn't in the lottery discussion and it's a little early on Podkolzin, plus there are a handful of players drafted ahead of him that are very good and chances are will end up being better overall.

On 8/28/2022 at 3:54 PM, kanucks25 said:

Demko wasn't in the lottery discussion and it's a little early on Podkolzin, plus there are a handful of players drafted ahead of him that are very good and chances are will end up being better overall.

Well the only thing that matters are the players we missed out on (drafted AFTER him) in the first round. Right now there's only a few that could be better than him but of course its way too early to tell.

2 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Well the only thing that matters are the players we missed out on (drafted AFTER him) in the first round. Right now there's only a few that could be better than him but of course its way too early to tell.

In the Pettersson draft, it's arguable that we got the 2nd best player and we may have chosen him anyway even if we had won the lottery.

With Hughes, I imagine we would have taken Dahlin but Hughes still may end up being the best player in the entire draft (although it is too early because there are other candidates like Dahlin, Dobson, Tkachuk, Svechnikov).

In these two cases, we probably didn't miss out on anything by not winning a top-3 pick unless we actually had Makar @ 1.

Whereas with Podkolzin, chances are guys like Hughes, Zegras, Seider and perhaps a few other players will end up being better, and we probably would have chosen one of them had we landed a lottery pick.

Edited by kanucks25