The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jonathan Dahlén signs with Timrå (SHL)

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Kids got skills.

There is something wrong I am not getting? 

There’s lots of players that have tons of skill that never stick in the NHL. It takes more than skill to be an NHLer.

He never seemed to have the drive or passion to make it here. That should have been obvious the first time he headed back to Sweden.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Funny how things work.

This was actually a good trade by Benning, one of his better ones; Sens fans were livid.

Still didn't go our way lol

its why I never get too excited about picks and prospects until they stick. You really never know which way its going to go, outside of a few exceptions each year. 

• Thanks 1

On his plus side-the guy is going to be a rock star on his team, his legacy will live on in legends told of the homecoming saviour.

He will be a one of a kind guy for that organization.

He keeps that team from relegation, and he will get a free pass to most events and meals in the city.

A "warrior" king so to speak.

That has a very strong allure to it.

• Cheers 1

I don't think Dahlen ever really wanted to be in the NHL. He'll spend the rest of his career playing for Timra. Wasted potential because he's clearly at the level where he can play in the NHL. Ultimately, Linus Karlsson has the potential to have a longer NHL career than Dahlen so we shouldn't be upset with that trade anymore.

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Or did it?

Karlsson is looking pretty promising!

Still very much a longshot.

15 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its why I never get too excited about picks and prospects until they stick. You really never know which way its going to go, outside of a few exceptions each year. 

True, but it's always a good idea to have a stockpile of these type of prospects because eventually some will turn out.

12 minutes ago, gurn said:

On his plus side-the guy is going to be a rock star on his team, his legacy will live on in legends told of the homecoming saviour.

He will be a one of a kind guy for that organization.

He keeps that team from relegation, and he will get a free pass to most events and meals in the city.

A "warrior" king so to speak.

That has a very strong allure to it.

Timrå has an insane forward group this year with Anton Lander (former Oiler and Sweden Olympic team captain) Robin Hanzl who was arguably the best Centre in the league last year, Emil Pettersson (Big brother of EP40), Anton Wedin (played a few games for Hawks a couple of years ago). Not as good on the Defensive side and goalies though, might be a "fun" team to watch with alot of goals scored and against 

• Upvote 1

• ForzaTikare changed the title to [Signing] Jonathan Dahlén signs with Timrå (SHL)
44 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Still very much a longshot.

True, but it's always a good idea to have a stockpile of these type of prospects because eventually some will turn out.

Less of a long shot than a player who doesn’t even wanna play in the NHL.

He’s also farther ahead in his development than Dahlen was. He was still playing in Allsvenskan at Karlsson’a age.

• Cheers 3

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Less of a long shot than a player who doesn’t even wanna play in the NHL.

He’s also farther ahead in his development than Dahlen was. He was still playing in Allsvenskan at Karlsson’a age.

I mean yeah I guess you can say he's a better prospect than Dahlen today but I was more talking about the Burrows trade and the value we got for it.

If Burrows had let's say 2nd round pick value, Karlsson is not worth that.

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I mean yeah I guess you can say he's a better prospect than Dahlen today but I was more talking about the Burrows trade and the value we got for it.

If Burrows had let's say 2nd round pick value, Karlsson is not worth that.

Well at the time I doubt anyone was giving up a 2nd for Dahlen (other than maybe Benning)

Karlsson was a 3rd round pick himself so it’s not like the value was that much different. Only difference was the timeline. Dahlen was much closer to the NHL at the time. 

Either way our Swedish scouts have a good track record so I don’t think this was just a get whatever we can scenario. They were well aware of Karlsson’s potential.

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Wake -up call for Hoagie maybe?  Our "on the bubble" Swede needs to buckle down and show BB that he can be trusted defensively. Heart and desire don't seem to be a problem for NH, just execution

Hoglander busts his ass; is happy to go in a corner after a puck. 

His problem, he can also stickhandle in a phone booth; he does most things with his head down. Misses too many plays cause he does not see them.

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well at the time I doubt anyone was giving up a 2nd for Dahlen (other than maybe Benning)

Karlsson was a 3rd round pick himself so it’s not like the value was that much different. Only difference was the timeline. Dahlen was much closer to the NHL at the time. 

Either way our Swedish scouts have a good track record so I don’t think this was just a get whatever we can scenario. They were well aware of Karlsson’s potential.

Of course Dahlen was worth a 2nd round pick at the time... he had just been drafted 42nd overall like 6 months prior to being traded and was having a PPG season in Sweden (albeit not the SHL).

And I'm not really comparing Dahlen vs Karlsson, I'm talking about the Burrows trade and the value we got. It was definitely a win at the time, but you can't say it's a win right now, because Karlsson has not really shown anything to suggest that he's projecting to be a good NHL player. He might, what he does in the AHL this upcoming season should tell us a lot, but until then he proves something he's just another dime a dozen guy. 

Edited by kanucks25

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Of course Dahlen was worth a 2nd round pick at the time... he had just been drafted 42nd overall like 6 months prior to being traded and was having a PPG season in Sweden.

And I'm not really comparing Dahlen vs Karlsson, I'm talking about the Burrows trade and the value we got. It was definitely a win at the time, but you can't say it's a win right now, because Karlsson has not really shown anything to suggest that he's projecting to be a good NHL player. He might, what he does in the AHL this upcoming season should tell us a lot, but until then he's just another dime a dozen guy. 

Teams don’t tend to give up draft picks that don’t have a value yet for prospects like that.

If San Jose wanted to trade Dahlen it would be for a later pick or another prospect.

That’s usually how it works. You’re not getting a pick that could end up being an early 2nd, that’s just not good value.