The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How low would you go?

LTC123

I would go as far as waiting till around the deadline to trade him. 

Looked at the last 15 years of TDL.. 

Third liner brings back a 2nd and 3rd

Second liner bring back a 1st, Roster player, Prospect and another pick

First liner is multiple 1sts / 1st, Good player, Real good prospect AND throw in picks/prospects.

I do hope everyone on the fear mongering side of the fence stay on that side all year. If we are doing well or get a haul for him these people better stand their ground and not act like they knew it would work out all along lol

Just guessing but my hunch is that Canucks want an NHL ready young player of positional need (C/RD) and that’s why they are waiting for the right offer to come along.

I do think it would be OK tho if the acquired longer term futures if they cant pry loose what they want.  1st and a young (C/D) prospect would be fine with me.

To answer your question, I'd go up until the deadline and at that point you have to make a trade for him to get anything back. 

Hopefully worst case scenario is we get a 1st and an ok prospect back for him as a rental to a contender. Better case scenarios/best case is we get multiple 1st and/or players that fit into the makeup of our team going forward. 

I imagine they are still shopping him around now as teams finalize their rosters. If nothing happens he'll play for Vancouver to start and if a higher tier team gets a bad injury in their top 6 or have a really bad start then they will likely target those teams to make a trade. If nothing comes from that then yeah the trade deadline situation happens. 

This is giving me Dan Hamhuis Deja vu.

GMJB refused to go low for the fear that would make him look like a push over in future trades and subsequently Hammer was lost for nothing.

Thereby leaves the question, is it better to lose a player for nothing  as opposed to accepting a low ball offer for the sake of just getting something in return? I just hope it doesn't come to this and Miller can either be extended or dealt sooner than later.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, FaninMex said:

You forgot to add;

A. Just miss the playoffs and he walks for free

B. Get into the playoffs and whatever happens and he walks for free.

Or they could pull a Sedin. Free agency day. CDC freaks out. Then they sign new contracts that day with the Canucks.

3 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Just guessing but my hunch is that Canucks want an NHL ready young player of positional need (C/RD) and that’s why they are waiting for the right offer to come along.

I do think it would be OK tho if the acquired longer term futures if they cant pry loose what they want.  1st and a young (C/D) prospect would be fine with me.

Only one problem. There's a limited number of teams that can afford him.

2 hours ago, GB5 said:

This is giving me Dan Hamhuis Deja vu.

GMJB refused to go low for the fear that would make him look like a push over in future trades and subsequently Hammer was lost for nothing.

Thereby leaves the question, is it better to lose a player for nothing  as opposed to accepting a low ball offer for the sake of just getting something in return? I just hope it doesn't come to this and Miller can either be extended or dealt sooner than later.

Thing is though, if it gets back to Hamhuis territory I think it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Trade Miller for a low return and people will still freak out.

8 hours ago, LTC123 said:

Considering a tight trade market for JT:  how low would you be comfortable with as a fan?

JT for a 1st?

JT for 2 prospects?

JT for a prospect and a 2nd?

JT for a one/one trade for a D?

others?

I think it really depends on which prospect or which D (whether they're signed or not moving forward), and where our trade partner ranks in the standings.
If it's two project prospects that haven't been able to hold down a spot (e.g. if one was Bode Wilde from NYI, who was problematic for not getting the jab [PS let's not get into specifics for things like this in the discussion]) I'd only consider that if Miller doesn't want to be here anymore/ they're far apart in contract talks and it should be a last resort.  If it's an established RHD e.g. Severson and he wanted to re-sign I'd find it hard to say no if there's no other suitors.  For two prospects, either strong C and strong RD prospects, or BPA (e.g. if it's Cutter Gauthier and Emil Andrae from the Flyers who want to quickly retool to remain competitive, then I'll drive JT to the airport myself).  

Optimally I'd want a C prospect and an RHD (something like Raty and re-signed Mayfield from NYI).

9 hours ago, LTC123 said:

Considering a tight trade market for JT:  how low would you be comfortable with as a fan?

JT for a 1st?

JT for 2 prospects?

JT for a prospect and a 2nd?

JT for a one/one trade for a D?

others?

This needed a new thread? :lol:

• -AJ- locked this topic