The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Rangers shopping Nils Lundkvist

9 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I don't know how NYR could afford that since they have a 22-man roster right now (excluding Lundkvist) with only $1m in cap space. They take on $3.4m in Poolman + Hogs?

Zero chance smart hockey people, like we have now, would have any interest in a craperolla bustaroo like Lundquist.  So there is no way our smart management (this is not Benning) would give up a great young player in Hoglander, even to dumperoo a clear mistake like Poolman, for a bum like that Smurfette Lundquist. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kubrick said:

Well, to be fair. He’s the fourth string goalie in the Canucks Organization. Which has become one of the better goaltending mines in the NHL. He’s fourth in Clarke’s Hierarchy of things. Probably much higher on some other teams though.

we have had some pretty good success at developing goalies, but that doesn't change the fact that Dipietro will not make any waves in the NHL. he was ranked 30th in the AHL for save% and 31st for GAA. that does not make him the 30th best goalie outside the NHL there is goalies in the KHL and SHL which are stronger leagues likely meaning he is ranked around anywhere from 70-100th outside the NHL. Can he get better? maybe, but probably will never make the NHL because he is undersized.

Rags apparently looking for a young 3rd line C in return. Maybe the Rags arent as high on Chytil as they were before?

Wasn’t he the other piece (along with a 1st) in all the media-driven hype frenzy of the TDL JTM deal that ppl still think mgmt failed to capitalize on? 
Interesting, haha.

Regardless of Rags need, some fan proposals:

To DET for Joe Veleno

Lundkvist + 3rd round pick To DET for Zadina

To MTL for Jake Evans

Part of a package to CHI for Kane

Edited by RWJC
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

Nils played 80% of his NHL minutes with Nemeth, who was the Rangers worst defensemen last year. He didn't look so hot with Schneider either. Lundkvist still has a ton of upside and I could still him pulling in a decent offer. 

Not sure why there is so much negativity about Lundqvist. Last year he was a 21-year-old playing in the NHL, and playing decently. If he were a 21-year old Canuck prospect there would be a lot more positivity. He did not score a lot last year in the NHL but how many 21-year D-men do? He was a (low) first round pick, he has played well in the World Juniors, and in the SHL, and was able to put up points in the AHL in part of a season there. He had a positive plus/minus with the Rangers last year and, more importantly, his underlying analytics are quite good. Guys with his track record usually (but not always) go on to have pretty good NHL careers. 

There is no guarantee, but the odds are at least decent that he becomes a legitimate top 4 good NHL D. He is already a legitimate 3rd pairing NHL D.  The problem for the Rangers is that he is going to have a hard time getting much ice-time given the quality of the Ranger D with Fox, Trouba, and Schneider ahead of him on the right side. And he is too good to be relegated to the AHL. So it stands to reason that the Rangers would trade him if they can get a decent return, just as the Canucks were reportedly looking to move Hoglander for the right return. 

I assume that the idea of getting Lundkvist for  DePietro was posted as a joke, but some people are taking it seriously. 

At straight up trade of Hoglander for Lundqvist would not be crazy although I would not do it without a sweetener.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Not sure why there is so much negativity about Lundqvist. Last year he was a 21-year-old playing in the NHL, and playing decently. If he were a 21-year old Canuck prospect there would be a lot more positivity.

That's how it works here ::D

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, RWJC said:

Rags apparently looking for a young 3rd line C in return. Maybe the Rags arent as high on Chytil as they were before?

Wasn’t he the other piece (along with a 1st) in all the media-driven hype frenzy of the TDL JTM deal that ppl still think mgmt failed to capitalize on? 
Interesting, haha.

Regardless of Rags need, some fan proposals:

To DET for Joe Veleno

Lundkvist + 3rd round pick To DET for Zadina

To MTL for Jake Evans

Part of a package to CHI for Kane

They can Package Chytil Lundkvist and a 1st for Pavel Zacha :lol:

8 hours ago, Kuzy said:

All I'm saying is it would be foolish not to consider clearing cap with Poolman's contract (or someone else like Dickinson), packaging a floundering forward who looked terrible last year (also our biggest surplus) for a young, projectable RHD with a good track record and is under contract for 2 more seasons at league minimum.

I honestly think NYR would reject that deal, rather than the other way around.

Sure. Creating cap room/contract efficiency would be good.

But I think Hoagie warrants a long look. Im not saying hes going to turn into the next Marchand but boy does he remind me of him.  Good hands and slippery. Id give him at least 2-3 years and see how he develops.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

Not sure why there is so much negativity about Lundqvist. Last year he was a 21-year-old playing in the NHL, and playing decently. If he were a 21-year old Canuck prospect there would be a lot more positivity. He did not score a lot last year in the NHL but how many 21-year D-men do? He was a (low) first round pick, he has played well in the World Juniors, and in the SHL, and was able to put up points in the AHL in part of a season there. He had a positive plus/minus with the Rangers last year and, more importantly, his underlying analytics are quite good. Guys with his track record usually (but not always) go on to have pretty good NHL careers. 

There is no guarantee, but the odds are at least decent that he becomes a legitimate top 4 good NHL D. He is already a legitimate 3rd pairing NHL D.  The problem for the Rangers is that he is going to have a hard time getting much ice-time given the quality of the Ranger D with Fox, Trouba, and Schneider ahead of him on the right side. And he is too good to be relegated to the AHL. So it stands to reason that the Rangers would trade him if they can get a decent return, just as the Canucks were reportedly looking to move Hoglander for the right return. 

I assume that the idea of getting Lundkvist for  DePietro was posted as a joke, but some people are taking it seriously. 

At straight up trade of Hoglander for Lundqvist would not be crazy although I would not do it without a sweetener.  

I disagree, also not trying to be negative towards Lundqvist, just stating as is. 

He got surpassed by 2 younger players, Schneider and recently Zac Jones, who is pretty much a similar player as Lundqvist but on the left hand side and better.

Idk where you get the notion that he has a high chance of being a top 4 dman in the NHL and a sure 3rd pairing dman in the NHL after being outplayed by both Schneider and Jones as 3rd pairing. He is also not too good for the ahl. I think you literally described Rathbone though. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Maverick84 said:

I saw a Rangers fan suggest Nils Lundkvist and a 3rd for Höglander and a prospect. 

That's not the worst deal. We have an excess of wingers and we would pick up a 3rd for the draft plus a RD prospect for our system. However, He's not a good fit for this season if he's hoping to get an NHL gig. Well not with Rathbone anyway.