The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Connor Murphy and 2023-2nd for Connor Garland and 2025-1st (Proposal)

Ok, hear me out.

We desperately need a Defensive Dman to go along with Quinn Hughes, and Murphy fits the bill perfectly, how ever, there is no actual incentive for Chicago to give him up, so with Chicago hitting rock bottom soon, I am thinking they are in for a rebuild and are collecting 1st round picks.

We however are trying to rebuild our farm team, as well as get competitive, so the move allows us to acquire the defenseman we need, and still get a very good 2nd round pick. Does it cost, is it worth it? Well, let's hear your thoughts!

Cap hits..................Connor Murphy = $4.400.000 X 4 years....................Connor Garland = $4,950,000 X 4 years

Don’t know if Chicago is willing to give up any 1st round picks for next 2-3 years as they’re going to be in for a long rebuild.

But absolutely love the idea of the trade. I just don’t think they’re going to want to pull the trigger unless there’s a prospect/pick coming that fits with their timeline.

I like the idea of acquiring Connor Murphy though. He should be decent through his entire contract.

We should not be moving a 1st round pick unless it is for a package to land a bonafide top pairing RHD. I think the best trade partner for a RHD is NJ. They have a plethora of defensive talent and depth, especially on the right side. I would rather package something like the following to go after Severson.

Pearson + Poolman + 1st 2025 for Severson + 4th 2025

Pearson can help their F group. sc champ.

Poolman can be their 3rd pairing guy. 

They get our 1st, we get mid round pick coming back our way. Both teams get pieces they need to take their next steps and fill out their rosters.

52 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Ok, hear me out.

We desperately need a Defensive Dman to go along with Quinn Hughes, and Murphy fits the bill perfectly, how ever, there is no actual incentive for Chicago to give him up, so with Chicago hitting rock bottom soon, I am thinking they are in for a rebuild and are collecting 1st round picks.

We however are trying to rebuild our farm team, as well as get competitive, so the move allows us to acquire the defenseman we need, and still get a very good 2nd round pick. Does it cost, is it worth it? Well, let's hear your thoughts!

Cap hits..................Connor Murphy = $4.400.000 X 4 years....................Connor Garland = $4,950,000 X 4 years

if Murphy passes the medical with flying colours, yep. 

I'd offer Hoglander and not the 1st. 

CHI would do this I think if Murphy wanted to go to a better team. 

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, JM_ said:

if Murphy passes the medical with flying colours, yep. 

I'd offer Hoglander and not the 1st. 

CHI would do this I think if Murphy wanted to go to a better team. 

I'd want Hoglander to get a shot to fill Garland's spot in the lineup and see what he can do in his first training camp under NHL coaches.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I got raked over the coals recently for suggesting Hoglander, a third, and a cap dump for Murphy.  The main concern was Murphy’s continued health issues.  I like my proposal more than yours.  If not Murphy, how about Pesce for Garland since they seem to have a surplus of RHD?

3 hours ago, KirkSave said:

We should not be moving a 1st round pick unless it is for a package to land a bonafide top pairing RHD. I think the best trade partner for a RHD is NJ. They have a plethora of defensive talent and depth, especially on the right side. I would rather package something like the following to go after Severson.

Pearson + Poolman + 1st 2025 for Severson + 4th 2025

Pearson can help their F group. sc champ.

Poolman can be their 3rd pairing guy. 

They get our 1st, we get mid round pick coming back our way. Both teams get pieces they need to take their next steps and fill out their rosters.

Or wait a season, pick up Severson as UFA (he’ll be pricey but that’s going to be the case regardless anyway) and use said assets to trade for other/depth/prospect RHD or even a solid backup for Demko in case Martin isn’t up to snuff 

• Like 1

Regarding Severson, I don’t think the asking price would be as high as many people think.  After trading for Marino, who I would assume is projected to be the Devil’s second pairing RHD, Jersey should be motivated to trade Severson rather than pay over four million for a third pairing defenseman.

2 hours ago, nameci said:

I got raked over the coals recently for suggesting Hoglander, a third, and a cap dump for Murphy.  The main concern was Murphy’s continued health issues.  I like my proposal more than yours.  If not Murphy, how about Pesce for Garland since they seem to have a surplus of RHD?

Hoglander, Dickinson (thought he underperformed but still serviceable defensive forward that they could maybe recoup and flip) and a 3rd is what I'd offer. 

12 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'd want Hoglander to get a shot to fill Garland's spot in the lineup and see what he can do in his first training camp under NHL coaches.

I was thinking a 1st for 2nd swap was too high a price, but maybe Hogie would move the needle. 

Its going to be expensive to get a right d in trade but at least with Fs we're trading from a position of depth.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I was thinking a 1st for 2nd swap was too high a price, but maybe Hogie would move the needle. 

Its going to be expensive to get a right d in trade but at least with Fs we're trading from a position of depth.

The reason I thought of the pick swap was because, if we develop into a top 10 team, and Chicago goes into full rebuild, the picks will not be that far a part.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

The reason I thought of the pick swap was because, if we develop into a top 10 team, and Chicago goes into full rebuild, the picks will not be that far a part.

yep I can see that. When you look at the stats a late 1st or a high 2nd is nearly identical in terms of developing a player. 

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, King Heffy said:

You and JM got me wondering who I would rather lose: Hogz or Gnarly?

Hogz is a slightly-tarnished shiney new guy with loads of talent and moxy.

And Gnarly is an experienced guy with talent and loads of moxy. 

Who also commands much more salary.

There are a number of other guys too that need to prove themselves this camp; e.g. Pearson, Dickenson, Poolman, etc.

This has always been one of my favorite things about watching management: seeing who they think we can do without.

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

You and JM got me wondering who I would rather lose: Hogz or Gnarly?

Hogz is a slightly-tarnished shiney new guy with loads of talent and moxy.

And Gnarly is an experienced guy with talent and loads of moxy. 

Who also commands much more salary.

There are a number of other guys too that need to prove themselves this camp; e.g. Pearson, Dickenson, Poolman, etc.

This has always been one of my favorite things about watching management: seeing who they think we can do without.

I think I'd rather trade Garland strictly due to the cap situation.  You can bring in a pretty decent D for that salary, and he's a good enough player that it won't need a major sweetener.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

Garland is a much better player than Murphy. Losing on-ice value in order to fit positional needs is a great way to build a mediocre team

That is not actually correct............

It totally depends on who replaces who......................

An Example...........

If you depth at wing, allows you to trade a winger, and the replacement winger is only .25 of a goal/point difference, and the defenseman you add gives you a .50 goal/point difference, whether that be offense or defensively, then the net gain, may slant toward acquiring the defenseman.............

It always about what is better for the team, not the player

On 9/3/2022 at 4:21 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

Ok, hear me out.

Problem is: losing 1st round pick, a non-starter for me; but was fun thanks.

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

That is not actually correct............

It totally depends on who replaces who......................

An Example...........

If you depth at wing, allows you to trade a winger, and the replacement winger is only .25 of a goal/point difference, and the defenseman you add gives you a .50 goal/point difference, whether that be offense or defensively, then the net gain, may slant toward acquiring the defenseman.............

It always about what is better for the team, not the player

It’s about more than goal/point totals. Garland was the best forward on the team last year in 5v5 shot differential, 5v5 goal differential, and 5v5 xGoal differential. 

Murphy would be the 3rd best Dman on the team an only a marginal step up from Myers. 

doesn’t matter who is replacing garland, this makes the team worse because Canucks are giving up a very very good player and only getting back a decent player