The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Acquiring Chychrun

Provost

5 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Agreed, but a potentially elite Dman on a JTM type bargain deal is exactly what affords both stability and ability to create cap flexibility elsewhere 

Also…

“Hey Bo… can you knock $500k off your ask?  Look what we just did to push the envelope and make sure you are signing on to a team doing whatever it can to win now.”

The Chychrun contract and years of club control is a big part of his value.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Also…

“Hey Bo… can you knock $500k off your ask?  Look what we just did to push the envelope and make sure you are signing on to a team doing whatever it can to win now.”

The Chychrun contract and years of club control is a big part of his value.

Perhaps we can also include in the deal a contract for the Yotes to play for free out of the Pacific Colosseum next year.

They might be pretty attractive to them at this moment :bigblush:

3 minutes ago, Devron said:

Chicken runs price is going down. Teams must be telling Armstrong to get stuffed. The rumoured asking price is pretty ridiculous. 

It’s not for a team who wants an elite caliber Dman who showed what he can accomplish while it being squandered on a crap hole franchise. He’s not overrated or over paid by any means, it’s simply a case of Arizona trying to cash on what could be a top 10 Dman in the league for years to come in the right environment 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

JR also said you have to know that the first three years of a long term contract for an older veteran have to be worth the downside on the last half of the contract.  That just makes a Miller signing not make sense if you think that the “upside” years are going to be spent on a team still needing a lot of work to be competitive.

I agree that this signing signals were a few pieces away from becoming a perennial playoff team. If we can sign Horvat long term, and Petey shows he can drive a line at the C position, our C depth is absolute filth! 

Glaring need is an upgrade at D. Younger, faster-just look at how dominant Colorado was during their playoffs. By far and away the best d corp in the league. If Rathbone shows well this year, that could bode well for us. And whether it is by trade or free agency next season or 2, we should be able to acquire that top pairing RD we covet.

I like the idea of adding JC for the reasons you mention, young, can play r side and is cost controlled for the next handful of seasons. If we could make it happen, and not gut our already weak prospect depth, I think PA and his crew would certainly chew on the idea.

Having Demko entering into his prime, cost controlled also helps. His contract is such a bargain considering he is one of the few young workhorses in the NHL.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Keep our 1st's

If we want a top RHD in the near future we should be prepared to lose a 1st in that trade. 
Alternatively we wait on a guy like Severson or Zub (as other posters have mentioned) in UFA.
To me they aren’t exactly the top pairing stud we want, but would default into that position because of a lack of other quality natural RHD.

Can only hope we pick up a Severson at TDL and extend him, but also find a way to trade for that stud RHD as well. Our lineup going into the post and next few seasons would be a dream come true

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Now that we have signed Miller, fixing the D is the last big priority for the team.

Looking into Chychrun and he can apparently play both sides, so could play on the right where we need help.  He is code controlled for the next three years when we have the biggest cap crunch until the cap starts going up.

He would be expensive, but I think with all the smoke about him not being happy… maybe they need to make the move before he holds out from training camp (or maybe that would make Arizona happy).

Would you trade:

2023 1st round pick (top 5 protected)

2025 1st round pick 

Poolman

Hoglander 

Dickenson

for 

Chychrun 

Leaving us with

Kuzmenko-Miller-Podkolzin 

Garland-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Mikheyev

Lockwood (or re-sign Motte)-Lazar-Joshua

Dowling

Hughes-Chychrun

OEL-Myers

Dermott-Schenn

Burroughs-Keeper

Hefty price to pay in futures, but on the other side… you have to home those 1st round picks end up being really late ones.  With adding Chychrun we have a other young player taking up a roster spot so less desperate need to find help in the prospect pipeline.

Tough call…. But that is a pretty solid team and probably even better when Myers rolls off and you can find a better OEL fit for the same money in free agency.

You do realize that Chychscrub (without being sheltered by OEL) is a Green Jacket guy, right?  Chychscrub is worth NOTHING! The guy is craperolla 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You do realize that Chychscrub (without being sheltered by OEL) is a Green Jacket guy, right?  Chychscrub is worth NOTHING! The guy is craperolla 

Go make another craperolla prediction about someone else you illegal alien.

Chychscrub/Chickenrun is our saviour and you know it. Put down the bottle of cat urine, sober up, and say your prayers that the Yotes send him our way.

I’ll include this again for your reference. From an article analyzing the OEL trade to Van:

Arizona appeared to recognize this and, with Jakob Chychrun breaking out, the club decided to demote Ekman-Larsson to the second pair this year. He went from logging 23-25 minutes per game in the prime of his career to averaging 20:58 in 2020-21. Ekman-Larsson was also no longer asked to take on the tough matchups assignment against the other team’s best players. Instead, he faced closer to league average competition.

Chychrun is proof that defencemen can succeed in Arizona. Chychrun was a two-way force at five-on-five last season with a 51.5 percent expected goal share, his actual goal differential was plus-four at five-on-five, he scored 18 goals and 41 points in 56 games and managed all that while logging more minutes and tougher matchups than Ekman-Larsson.

He stepped into the same role Ekman-Larsson had occupied previously and was wildly successful as a bona fide top pair defenceman. That undermines the argument that the environment is solely to blame for Ekman-Larsson’s underwhelming results.

Edited by RWJC
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Now that we have signed Miller, fixing the D is the last big priority for the team.

Looking into Chychrun and he can apparently play both sides, so could play on the right where we need help.  He is code controlled for the next three years when we have the biggest cap crunch until the cap starts going up.

He would be expensive, but I think with all the smoke about him not being happy… maybe they need to make the move before he holds out from training camp (or maybe that would make Arizona happy).

Would you trade:

2025 1st round pick 

Poolman

Hoglander 

Dickenson

for 

Chychrun 

Leaving us with

Garland-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Mikheyev

Dowling

Hughes-Chychrun

OEL-Myers

Dermott-Schenn

Burroughs-Keeper

Hefty price to pay in futures, but on the other side… you have to home those 1st round picks end up being really late ones.  With adding Chychrun we have a other young player taking up a roster spot so less desperate need to find help in the prospect pipeline.

Tough call…. But that is a pretty solid team and probably even better when Myers rolls off and you can find a better OEL fit for the same money in free agency.

Don't think so. Can ice a decent top-4 if we manage to bring in De Haan or someone similar.
Improve things more for 2024 season when Myers, Pearson, Dickinson are gone. 

12 minutes ago, RWJC said:

If we want a top RHD in the near future we should be prepared to lose a 1st in that trade. 
Alternatively we wait on a guy like Severson or Zub (as other posters have mentioned) in UFA.
To me they aren’t exactly the top pairing stud we want, but would default into that position because of a lack of other quality natural RHD.

Can only hope we pick up a Severson at TDL and extend him, but also find a way to trade for that stud RHD as well. Our lineup going into the post and next few seasons would be a dream come true

Now that fire sale pressure is off maybe we can make a reasonable trade for a rhd. Even a temp fix of a Mayfield gor Hogs might do it. Sev might want to be here next year if he likes our year chemistry. Watching us with a full season under Boudreau.  A better bottom 6. And 2 good goalies.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Go make another craperolla prediction about someone else you illegal alien.

Chychscrub/Chickenrun is our saviour and you know it. Put down the bottle of cat urine, sober up, and say your prayers that the Yotes send him our way.

I’ll include this again for your reference. From an article analyzing the OEL trade to Van:

Arizona appeared to recognize this and, with Jakob Chychrun breaking out, the club decided to demote Ekman-Larsson to the second pair this year. He went from logging 23-25 minutes per game in the prime of his career to averaging 20:58 in 2020-21. Ekman-Larsson was also no longer asked to take on the tough matchups assignment against the other team’s best players. Instead, he faced closer to league average competition.

Chychrun is proof that defencemen can succeed in Arizona. Chychrun was a two-way force at five-on-five last season with a 51.5 percent expected goal share, his actual goal differential was plus-four at five-on-five, he scored 18 goals and 41 points in 56 games and managed all that while logging more minutes and tougher matchups than Ekman-Larsson.

He stepped into the same role Ekman-Larsson had occupied previously and was wildly successful as a bona fide top pair defenceman. That undermines the argument that the environment is solely to blame for Ekman-Larsson’s underwhelming results.

The “Scrubby One” is a suckeroo.  He sucks old used pucks.  Already had Loui E.  don’t need Scrubby Doo. 

56 minutes ago, Provost said:

JR also said you have to know that the first three years of a long term contract for an older veteran have to be worth the downside on the last half of the contract.  That just makes a Miller signing not make sense if you think that the “upside” years are going to be spent on a team still needing a lot of work to be competitive.

Well I agree,  they must be looking at more moves (defense) but can't get traction with essentially half the league in LTIR just to be cap compliant. 

I completely understand why people are thrilled to have JT signed,  but the unanswered question is this:  we're going into the year with essentially the exact same team (2 Russians notwithstanding) that wasn't good enough last year,  and before all the "but a whole season of Bruce" folks chime in, JR said explicitly that the team record under Bruce wouldn't have been sustainable over a full season for various reasons - so what is a realistic expectation of this squad?  I don't see other conference WC rivals trending down to where we leapfrog several teams.

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Well I agree,  they must be looking at more moves (defense) but can't get traction with essentially half the league in LTIR just to be cap compliant. 

I completely understand why people are thrilled to have JT signed,  but the unanswered question is this:  we're going into the year with essentially the exact same team (2 Russians notwithstanding) that wasn't good enough last year,  and before all the "but a whole season of Bruce" folks chime in, JR said explicitly that the team record under Bruce wouldn't have been sustainable over a full season for various reasons - so what is a realistic expectation of this squad?  I don't see other conference WC rivals trending down to where we leapfrog several teams.

Exactly this. Once we lock down Bo, all attention will be refocused onto D and a waiting game for opportunities throughout the season. That’s exciting to me, because we appear to be set in other categories so a legit D revamp (even gradual) is finally in the works. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I agree.  I was long on record saying the smart move would be to trade Miller and build towards a horizon of a couple years from now.

Our roster seems like it is good enough to compete for a wildcard spot, but isn’t a contender and would need a 1982 style miracle run.

The Miller trade didn’t happen, so the next best thing is to try to turn over the roster faster to get better and make the best use of his prime years.

Hence the Chychrun move.  Probably the biggest bang for the Buck move we could make in the next couple weeks.  Motivated seller, great player on a cheap cost controlled contract who fits our team’s weakest area.

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Would you trade:

2025 1st round pick 

Poolman

Hoglander 

Dickenson

for 

Chychrun 

Leaving us with

Garland-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Mikheyev

Dowling

Hughes-Chychrun

OEL-Myers

Dermott-Schenn

Burroughs-Keeper

A. I would like to see that Kuzmenko can make it in the NHL before I gift him a spot.

B. Poolman got injured last year and has been having a hard time coming back from it. Last I heard he is  heading to LTIR this year. We might need LTIR space this year.