The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Acquiring Chychrun

Provost

8 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

A. I would like to see that Kuzmenko can make it in the NHL before I gift him a spot.

B. Poolman got injured last year and has been having a hard time coming back from it. Last I heard he is  heading to LTIR this year. We might need LTIR space this year.

I am not counting Kuzmenko as one of our top 6 forwards (Miller, Petterson, Horvat, Boeser, Garland, Mikheyev).

If Kuzmenko can’t make it as third line production, you just move on and find another 3rd liner, they aren’t hard to come by.

We don’t need Poolman’s LTIR if we don’t have Poolman on the books.

If we're paying two 1sts we have to look at what else might be in the market for natural right side players. Also would be concerned about injury issues with him. Its not like he's been playing hard minutes and he's missed a lot of time. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I just see these guys we always want to trade for are typically drafted in the spots we would be picking if we just held onto that 1st

giving up two 1sts puts us into potential offer sheet territory as well. Maybe we steal Bouchard from Edmonton next year :P

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, shiznak said:

There’s no way Arizona would make a deal with us, unless if we include two first round picks and Podkolzin, at the very minimum.

That ain't happening.

Edit: I wouldn't trade Podkolzin straight up. 

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

That ain't happening.

Edit: I wouldn't trade Podkolzin straight up. 

He had a better xGA/60 rate (2.57) than all our top 3 defensemen, despite playing on one of the worst defensive teams in the league last year. I highly doubt Arizona is going to give him up for scraps just because he had a down year. He’s a legitimate top 2/3 defensemen on a very team friendly deal. Those are hard to come by.

8 minutes ago, shiznak said:

He had a better xGA/60 rate (2.57) than all our top 3 defensemen, despite playing on one of the worst defensive teams in the league last year. I highly doubt Arizona is going to give him up for scraps just because he had a down year. He’s a legitimate top 2/3 defensemen on a very team friendly deal. Those are hard to come by.

I agree Arizona won't trade him for scraps, but I wouldn't trade Podkolzin one for one. 

9 minutes ago, shiznak said:

the problem is AZ was just such an easy team to play against I don't know that you can really just look at the raw numbers. No one was giving their best effort in games vs AZ. 

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

giving up two 1sts puts us into potential offer sheet territory as well. Maybe we steal Bouchard from Edmonton next year :P

UGH I'd rather watch seniors lawn bowling than have Bouchard on my team. I'm actually he gets like 60 points so they have to give him a 8x8+ haha! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

the problem is AZ was just such an easy team to play against I don't know that you can really just look at the raw numbers. No one was giving their best effort in games vs AZ. 

You could easily say the same for us, when teams were playing their backup goalies against us.

14 hours ago, Provost said:

Now that we have signed Miller, fixing the D is the last big priority for the team.

Looking into Chychrun and he can apparently play both sides, so could play on the right where we need help.  He is code controlled for the next three years when we have the biggest cap crunch until the cap starts going up.

He would be expensive, but I think with all the smoke about him not being happy… maybe they need to make the move before he holds out from training camp (or maybe that would make Arizona happy).

Would you trade:

2023 1st round pick (top 5 protected)

2025 1st round pick 

Poolman

Hoglander 

Dickenson

for 

Chychrun 

Leaving us with

Kuzmenko-Miller-Podkolzin 

Garland-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Mikheyev

Lockwood (or re-sign Motte)-Lazar-Joshua

Dowling

Hughes-Chychrun

OEL-Myers

Dermott-Schenn

Burroughs-Keeper

Hefty price to pay in futures, but on the other side… you have to home those 1st round picks end up being really late ones.  With adding Chychrun we have a other young player taking up a roster spot so less desperate need to find help in the prospect pipeline.

Tough call…. But that is a pretty solid team and probably even better when Myers rolls off and you can find a better OEL fit for the same money in free agency.

Arizona would want in trade..

1. Podkolzin  21, 6'2 - 208 lbs -- Rathbone LD 23 - 5'11 -- 1st rounder 2024 -- 2nd rounder - 2023

I like Chychrun 24, 6'2 - 210 lbs--LD--Would look amazing in Vancouver but big price to pay.. We can't be giving up fist rounder which has happened 2 of the last 3 years..

I honestly believe cap will be going up 4--5 million in next 2 years and next summer we have 14.6 million in cap space after signing Miller..

Next summer -- Horvat -6.6 million ? Kuzmenko  1.8 -2.5 million ? say he has 18 G -42 point season  - Hoglander -

Canucks have a fantastic top 11 players exciting season-- Top 5  goalie Demko - 2.45 - --920 % season

Defence-- Dermott 25 - Rathbone 23 -- will be ready for improvements..Both guys are very skilled pushing for #4 D MEN

Juulson 6'2 RD - ready for next step

Keeper 6'2 RD --will have fans excited

Hughes -- another great season

OEL -- Play in different role gets to use his offensive skill more

Myers 6' 7 "- will continue to play tough minutes against other teams best players--19--21 mins

Excited this is a playoff team -- 1. Calgary - 2 Edmonton  3. Vancouver - 4th LA Kings - 5th Vegas

Go Canucks Go!

31 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Arizona would want in trade..

1. Podkolzin  21, 6'2 - 208 lbs -- Rathbone LD 23 - 5'11 -- 1st rounder 2024 -- 2nd rounder - 2023

I like Chychrun 24, 6'2 - 210 lbs--LD--Would look amazing in Vancouver but big price to pay.. We can't be giving up fist rounder which has happened 2 of the last 3 years..

I honestly believe cap will be going up 4--5 million in next 2 years and next summer we have 14.6 million in cap space after signing Miller..

Next summer -- Horvat -6.6 million ? Kuzmenko  1.8 -2.5 million ? say he has 18 G -42 point season  - Hoglander -

Canucks have a fantastic top 11 players exciting season-- Top 5  goalie Demko - 2.45 - --920 % season

Defence-- Dermott 25 - Rathbone 23 -- will be ready for improvements..Both guys are very skilled pushing for #4 D MEN

Juulson 6'2 RD - ready for next step

Keeper 6'2 RD --will have fans excited

Hughes -- another great season

OEL -- Play in different role gets to use his offensive skill more

Myers 6' 7 "- will continue to play tough minutes against other teams best players--19--21 mins

Excited this is a playoff team -- 1. Calgary - 2 Edmonton  3. Vancouver - 4th LA Kings - 5th Vegas

Go Canucks Go!

When was your last conversation with the Arizona GM, you seem really sure exactly what players they want... vs. just a general sense of value they are looking for.

$14.6 million in cap space next year without Horvat signed and with only a 14 player roster.  Assume almost half for Horvat and you have $7.6 million for 7-8 players.

The cap going up doesn't help us as much as folks seem to think.  The cap goes up for everyone, so that means contracts are more expensive across the board... not only for us trying to sign UFAs to fill holes, but also extensions to guys like Petterson and Podkolzin.

Barring moving equivalent players out in the trade... this is mostly the roster we will have for the next several years.  The cap savings in expiring contracts will be eaten up by raises to current efficient contracts.  There isn't some magic cap space being invented that allows us to find a top 4 D for free on the open market.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

When was your last conversation with the Arizona GM, you seem really sure exactly what players they want... vs. just a general sense of value they are looking for.

$14.6 million in cap space next year without Horvat signed and with only a 14 player roster.  Assume almost half for Horvat and you have $7.6 million for 7-8 players.

The cap going up doesn't help us as much as folks seem to think.  The cap goes up for everyone, so that means contracts are more expensive across the board... not only for us trying to sign UFAs to fill holes, but also extensions to guys like Petterson and Podkolzin.

Barring moving equivalent players out in the trade... this is mostly the roster we will have for the next several years.  The cap savings in expiring contracts will be eaten up by raises to current efficient contracts.  There isn't some magic cap space being invented that allows us to find a top 4 D for free on the open market.

I am not GM either are you.. Every post on here is a persons idea and only a idea?

My opinion is no different then what you posted a idea? Your post is basically dumping Canucks bad salary..

Arizona could make better deals then what you give them credit for.. 

16 hours ago, Provost said:

The Miller trade didn’t happen, so the next best thing is to try to turn over the roster faster to get better and make the best use of his prime years.

I don't think any 'realistic' observer truly believes this defense is championship caliber. So yes, it's logical that's where the next significant move(s) needs to happen. 

The concern with addressing the defense is twofold imo:

1.  JR admitted it has been far more challenging to make meaningful moves in a cap-strapped league,  so it'll likely take much longer to do than anticipated - meaning there goes some of those 'prime' JT/core years. 

2.  If you use future assets (high picks) to acquire said defense personnel now,  you are doing exactly what JB said he wasn't going to do (and JR said he didn't want to do also) and then did anyway with zero results to show for it and an organizational prospect pool that'll lead to nowhere down the line either. 

I would like them to start the season as is, gage personnel and identify which of our forwards have value around the league that we could afford to deal and subsequently identify a RHD they might target.  Meanwhile they may need to wait out some of these immovable contracts to become less unwieldy and see if a cap increase and a year less term makes them movable?