The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Acquiring Chychrun

Provost

On 9/4/2022 at 11:23 PM, ABNuck said:

In 2016 Jakob Chychrun was selected at 16th O/A.

At 5th O/A the Vancouver Canucks selected Olli Juolevi.

OOF.

I still hate that pic, and not in hindsight either. Sergachev, Chychrun, McAvoy, and Fabbro were available, and I was really rooting for Serg or Chych to be picked. I was shocked when I heard Juolevi's name read.

• Upvote 2

On 9/3/2022 at 6:00 PM, Provost said:

Now that we have signed Miller, fixing the D is the last big priority for the team.

Looking into Chychrun and he can apparently play both sides, so could play on the right where we need help.  He is code controlled for the next three years when we have the biggest cap crunch until the cap starts going up.

He would be expensive, but I think with all the smoke about him not being happy… maybe they need to make the move before he holds out from training camp (or maybe that would make Arizona happy).

Would you trade:

2023 1st round pick (top 5 protected)

2025 1st round pick 

Poolman

Hoglander 

Dickenson

for 

Chychrun 

Leaving us with

Kuzmenko-Miller-Podkolzin 

Garland-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Mikheyev

Lockwood (or re-sign Motte)-Lazar-Joshua

Dowling

Hughes-Chychrun

OEL-Myers

Dermott-Schenn

Burroughs-Keeper

Hefty price to pay in futures, but on the other side… you have to home those 1st round picks end up being really late ones.  With adding Chychrun we have a other young player taking up a roster spot so less desperate need to find help in the prospect pipeline.

Tough call…. But that is a pretty solid team and probably even better when Myers rolls off and you can find a better OEL fit for the same money in free agency.

I like it. As far as I’m concerned you are getting an accomplished high end defenceman for draft picks and forwards we don’t need. It normally takes years for a newly drafted defenceman to make the NHL (if he even makes it). This guy is ready to go with a good Cap hit. 

Question remains is this enough for the Coyotes?

• Cheers 2

On 9/3/2022 at 6:00 PM, Provost said:

Now that we have signed Miller, fixing the D is the last big priority for the team.

Looking into Chychrun and he can apparently play both sides, so could play on the right where we need help.  He is code controlled for the next three years when we have the biggest cap crunch until the cap starts going up.

He would be expensive, but I think with all the smoke about him not being happy… maybe they need to make the move before he holds out from training camp (or maybe that would make Arizona happy).

Would you trade:

2025 1st round pick 

Poolman

Hoglander 

Dickenson

for 

Chychrun 

Leaving us with

Garland-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Mikheyev

Dowling

Hughes-Chychrun

OEL-Myers

Dermott-Schenn

Burroughs-Keeper

Hefty price to pay in futures, but on the other side… you have to home those 1st round picks end up being really late ones.  With adding Chychrun we have a other young player taking up a roster spot so less desperate need to find help in the prospect pipeline.

Tough call…. But that is a pretty solid team and probably even better when Myers rolls off and you can find a better OEL fit for the same money in free agency.

That is a decent proposal, and I would do it in a heartbeat....not sure if that'd be enough, but I'd even be okay with a bigger offer from our side....at this point, I really couldn't care less about picks if it means we can (vastly) improve our team NOW. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 9/10/2022 at 12:36 PM, Sophomore Jinx said:

I like it too, and if it isn't enough for the 'Yotes, then we up the ante, I'd even sub Pearson in for Dickenson (and I like Pear)

I don’t have Rathbone on my roster… so there would be another piece if it was needed.

I think it is a totally fair offer for Chychrun… the cap

dump money going the other way to make the money work is what they might balk at.

Add in Chychrun and I say we should be legitimately expected to be a top 3 team in the division this year.  Our roster now on paper seems like a bubble/wildcard team.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2

On 9/3/2022 at 9:00 PM, Provost said:

Would you trade:

2025 1st round pick 

Poolman

Hoglander 

Dickenson

for 

Chychrun 

Leaving us with

Garland-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Mikheyev

Dowling

Hughes-Chychrun

OEL-Myers

Dermott-Schenn

Burroughs-Keeper

Yes i would absolutely do this.   

• Cheers 1

On 9/10/2022 at 11:37 PM, Provost said:

I don’t have Rathbone on my roster… so there would be another piece if it was needed.

dump money going the other way to make the money work is what they might balk at.

Add in Chychrun and I say we shipment be legitimately expected to be a top 3 team in the division this year.  Our roster now on paper seems like a bubble/wildcard team.

It really depends on what team you believe we are.    If you lean towards the Bruce version of this team ... then a top 3 team is very realistic.   Last season we'd have ended up a top four team in the conference.   In the end Horvat went down and we missed by five points.    Was an admirable run of games and very fun to watch.   Down the stretch we were much better then the Bruce bump as well.   Watching COL throw everything they could at us, and us winning 3-1 (and deservedly so - we were the better team),  and their fans getting awfully nervous we'd claw back in, was my favourite part of the season.   Millers 27 points in 13ish games was also pretty cool.  No reason to think he won't end up at least a PPG guy again, he did it on ever line EXCEPT the lotto line (which stink, stank, stunk!).   

PP ended up 9th.  But was 26.7% under Bruce and over 30 down the stretch...good for second in the league.   Once EP was added to our PK...EP and Horvat became one of the best duos in the league for forwards.     12th overall, ahead of COL and FLD, over 80% and only a couple points behind CAL for 5-6th.    

Personally, and this is after watching a lot of hockey since the late 80's ... ive only seen a forward group as deep, one other time and that was the early 90's when we set club records.   Not expecting 344 goals to surpass the 93 record... If you believe the fantasy mags ... well THN has us with 8 20 goal scorers.   You can count the teams all-time on one hand that managed that.    It's extremely rare.   And more guys with 40 plus points then any other in our conference.  

We all know how our D lacks another top four D (preferably RHD).    We can't survive two of our top four going down..:OEL actually did a great job when QHs missed games.   But those two at the same time!   Ouch.    Or Demko ... Martin would have to be something special to survive that too. 

Upfront?   Could lose 2 key guys and not miss a beat.   That's our team strength.   Lots of guys who can play center, and actual centers.    

I agree, if we could add Chychrun, and dump some cap it's worth the cost you propose.    This team would be set.   And the window is now regardless so might as well go for it.    QHs and Demko's current deal.   EP i'm not actually too worried about his deal.   He's been paid to score 80 plus now as an RFA ... if that's all he can do, his next deal isn't going to be as monster as some might think.    Miller signing for what he did showed the players  how to do it.   Same with his last 5.25 deal.   What a value RFA/UFA deal should look like.   

ARI is going full tank.   And is also one of maybe two teams with available cap until the cap goes up again (pretty sure that this and maybe the following year and flat cap is done).   We won't be drafting guys that come in and help the same way Chychrun can.   And those draft picks won't be high ones anyways ... with or without him.   Not from where i'm sitting anyways.   

To me we are at worst a bubble team, and that's with some bad luck, at best we win the division and that's the range. 97-112 points.   Pretty sure we manage at least 10 more then last season. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

On 9/10/2022 at 11:37 PM, Provost said:

Add in Chychrun and I say we shipment be legitimately expected to be a top 3 team in the division this year.  Our roster now on paper seems like a bubble/wildcard team.

Wouldn't completely count Rathbone out.  If OEL moves to the right side ... He could get a shot.    Maybe even playing with him.   Or if QHs/OEL become our top pairing, they'd be on the ice 27-30 minutes a game.    That mitigates what the other two pairings have to do.    Rathbone will for sure get his goals and his points at the NHL level ... i just don't think he's well suited for a bottom pairing role.    Time to figure this out would be the pre-season.    Rathbone Schenn... Rathbone Poolman ... it's tough to say.   Rathbone Myers lol ... well you never know but that looks like an adventure waiting to happen in our end. 

Edit:  Hoping he can be our Girard.   That's a lot to ask though.    At the very least, he's a good add to or as part of a trade chip.  Do think he's NHL ready, maybe not on this team though. 

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Wouldn't completely count Rathbone out.  If OEL moves to the right side ... He could get a shot.    Maybe even playing with him.   Or if QHs/OEL become our top pairing, they'd be on the ice 27-30 minutes a game.    That mitigates what the other two pairings have to do.    Rathbone will for sure get his goals and his points at the NHL level ... i just don't think he's well suited for a bottom pairing role.    Time to figure this out would be the pre-season.    Rathbone Schenn... Rathbone Poolman ... it's tough to say.   Rathbone Myers lol ... well you never know but that looks like an adventure waiting to happen in our end. 

Edit:  Hoping he can be our Girard.   That's a lot to ask though.    At the very least, he's a good add to or as part of a trade chip.  Do think he's NHL ready, maybe not on this team though. 

If Chychrun was here I didn't have Rathbone on my roster... I am assuming he has to actively work himself off the roster to not be in the opening 23 as it stands.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...

Per Elliotte Friedman

OTT has discussed a package for Chychrun but ARZ has requested Shane Pinto be part of the return, which OTT has refused to agree to.

with that as a rumoured target, despite his injury issues, he’s still a potential Calder candidate this season. 
we’d really have to have a dynamite package to offer ARZ but just not sure we have the goods

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, RWJC said:

Per Elliotte Friedman

OTT has discussed a package for Chychrun but ARZ has requested Shane Pinto be part of the return, which OTT has refused to agree to.

with that as a rumoured target, despite his injury issues, he’s still a potential Calder candidate this season. 
we’d really have to have a dynamite package to offer ARZ but just not sure we have the goods

Yes more then a couple firsts.   Think the cap dump alone would cost us at least one.  Chychrun is getting a lot more then a first.  Probably 2 firsts plus Rathbone or Karlsson, and Hogs or something.  Then we'd have to trade a good forward to make the cap work.  Which could defeat the purpose.    

Wonder instead, if they'd be willing to trade for Brock or Garland plus whatever else to make it work?  We could very well end up trading one anyways (and ARI fans were livid when Garland was included in the OEL trade). 

It's a tough call.   Chychrun would be a great add.   We could play OEL and Chychrun together.   Either of those guys could try the other side.   

Edited by IBatch

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes more then a couple firsts.   Think the cap dump alone would cost us at least one.  Chychrun is getting a lot more then a first.  Probably 2 firsts plus Rathbone or Karlsson, and Hogs or something.  Then we'd have to trade a good forward to make the cap work.  Which could defeat the purpose.    

Wonder instead, if they'd be willing to trade for Brock or Garland plus whatever else to make it work?  We could very well end up trading one anyways (and ARI fans were livid when Garland was included in the OEL trade). 

It's a tough call.   Chychrun would be a great add.   We could play OEL and Chychrun together.   Either of those guys could try the other side.   

I'd rather move Boeser+ or Garland+, not interested in moving multiple 1st round picks. It cost less than trying to include a cap dump, we're better off just riding our bad contracts out imo. Only two more seasons of Dickinson, that's short term pain and I believe Poolman can be play well enough that he'll be serviceable even at his cap hit. Hell, I'm not interested in moving 1st round picks at all, I'm bullish on our using our picks to replenish our prospect pool going forward. Moving a forward from our top six seems like something that's inevitable at some point if we're going to reallocate cap to our D. Which I think we should. 

I do question whether Chychrun is the right target or whether he's the flavour of the year because he's reportedly been available though. And the tricky thing is I question whether Arizona would want Boeser, I imagine they'd probably just flip him too. You'd think they'd want quality roster players at some point but I dunno. 

Well you have to give to get, a developed 1st round pick costs at minimum a 1st round pick or 1st round prospect plus a sweetener for time served... and that only gets you to the point of why does Arizona pick you to get his rights... cost of doing business is going to be high. Especially if your trying  to work Dickenson going back the other way....

On 9/26/2022 at 10:42 AM, Coconuts said:

I'd rather move Boeser+ or Garland+, not interested in moving multiple 1st round picks. It cost less than trying to include a cap dump, we're better off just riding our bad contracts out imo. Only two more seasons of Dickinson, that's short term pain and I believe Poolman can be play well enough that he'll be serviceable even at his cap hit. Hell, I'm not interested in moving 1st round picks at all, I'm bullish on our using our picks to replenish our prospect pool going forward. Moving a forward from our top six seems like something that's inevitable at some point if we're going to reallocate cap to our D. Which I think we should. 

I do question whether Chychrun is the right target or whether he's the flavour of the year because he's reportedly been available though. And the tricky thing is I question whether Arizona would want Boeser, I imagine they'd probably just flip him too. You'd think they'd want quality roster players at some point but I dunno. 

I rather us target Provorov. He exactly the type of two way Dman we need. That's only if Hughes can make the transition over to RD. 

2 hours ago, KKnight said:

I rather us target Provorov. He exactly the type of two way Dman we need. That's only if Hughes can make the transition over to RD. 

I mean, if Philly implodes again you never know who'll be available. Two seasons away from UFA after this one. Ellis potentially being done makes that a bit murkier though despite his being an RD. Without him suddenly Philly's D looks a lot shallower. Particularly with Sanheim being a UFA at the end of the season. 

not even sure how you managed to come up with this lob sided offer.. Arizona would laugh at the offer.. all the 1st rounders are going to be in the mid/late teens + 2 cap dump and hoglander?? so essentially mid/late 1st rounder (assuming you get chychrun theyll probably for sure finish in the 1op 10ish) and hoglander for chychrun? and a 1st for 2 cap dump.. i'm sure any other teams can come up with a better package than a 1st mid/late + hoglander... that's even worse than any the worse than any of the worst rumored offered tossed around all summer for miller.

Wonder if Boeser would interest Arizona. He and Schmaltz had great chemistry playing together in the NCAA. Arizona could use some more scoring and if Boeser can stay healthy and shows well, perhaps a package involving him would work? Something like:

Boeser + Van's 1st 2024 + Dipietro  

for 

Chicky Chikcy Boom Boom

I wouldn't do the trade personally. We've had too long of a period of time without having 1st round picks that I feel it could come back to bite us if we're not too careful. I don't doubt Chychrun's a good player, but this just feels too "forced".

Not only that but how much would we be spending on defence at that point with Chychrun, OEL, Myers, and Hughes? Like... ouch?....

That being said, I'm also of the mindset of "wait and see". I'm not a "WE HAVE TO WIN NOOOOOOOW!" sort of person.

Edited by The Lock

All about value, realistically he's worth a 1st, top player who is young (top 6 forward or top 4 defenceman) and prospect. Arizona have said they want to add a 1st to that asking price as well which put a lot of teams off, but it seems like talks have picked up again (so that second 1st is surely off the table).

We could give them a 1st, Garland and they'll probably take Rathbone rather than Hoglander. That's a lot of value lost...

To be honest though I'd do it, this team would finally be taken seriously with an extra top defenceman. Could split Hughes and Chychrun to really flesh out our team.

Zona gonna be looking for pure futures, and we don't have any. Which also means we can't afford to give any up really. No first for years and Lekkermaki isn't exactly lighting the world on fire since we drafted him + nothing else to really speak of, as this preseason is showing. 

Sadly Chyckers is a none option for us, as much as i'd like him.