The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Filip Johansson | D

Googlie

12 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

hope springs eternal. For sure he's suffered injuries, as you stated, but he will be a year older. I just look and judge. If he become revigorated that's great but few beat old man time

He’s 31 not nearing 40, he’ll be fine coming into camp healthy. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

hope springs eternal. For sure he's suffered injuries, as you stated, but he will be a year older. I just look and judge. If he become revigorated that's great but few beat old man time

I mean if he does suffer another significant injury he could be placed on LTIRetirement. 

Not that I wish him serious harm or anything. 

8 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

He was good and arguably our best dman last year then hurt this year, it really isn't doom and gloom with OEL.

That's not saying much really.

If he plays at a reasonable level then kind of okay, but if not he's the biggest obstacle towards improving the team and making the playoffs. Even then he still represents a huge obstacle of 7.25 mil in cap that could be better spent on very necessary improvements. Not necessarily doom and gloom but a major worry if one wants to compete. Not to mention this isn't a short term situation either.

12 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

That's not saying much really.

If he plays at a reasonable level then kind of okay, but if not he's the biggest obstacle towards improving the team and making the playoffs. Even then he still represents a huge obstacle of 7.25 mil in cap that could be better spent on very necessary improvements. Not necessarily doom and gloom but a major worry if one wants to compete. Not to mention this isn't a short term situation either.

Benning said he would be our #1 dman. That isn’t happening. But he needs to be our #3 or #4. He did that his first season here.

I think OEL should be given one more chance. It looks like Tocchet / Foote / Gonchar have put some good structure in place. Paired with a great defender like Hronek he can keep things simple and hopefully give us 20 minutes of solid defensive hockey along with 30 points.

Worth $7.25M? No. But he has to play like a $3-$4M player to justify not buying him out. I would also prefer waiting in case we are in severe cap trouble with EP and Hronek getting big raises and buying him out then Vs replacing him with another 5-6M dollar player 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Benning said he would be our #1 dman. That isn’t happening. But he needs to be our #3 or #4. He did that his first season here.

I think OEL should be given one more chance. It looks like Tocchet / Foote / Gonchar have put some good structure in place. Paired with a great defender like Hronek he can keep things simple and hopefully give us 20 minutes of solid defensive hockey along with 30 points.

Worth $7.25M? No. But he has to play like a $3-$4M player to justify not buying him out. I would also prefer waiting in case we are in severe cap trouble with EP and Hronek getting big raises and buying him out then Vs replacing him with another 5-6M dollar player 

Yup agreed. Gotta give him a chance. Can't get buried with that dead cap. Crappy contract, crappier trade. It is what it is.

16 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Whatever happened to Filip Johansson?

SHL playoffs

Frolunda is moving on to round 2, and he was playing top pairing minutes the last time I checked. 

22 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I get tired of this  reclaim OEL focus by so many. Like other before him his health and there for agility  is shot !!, likely due to the onset of age. Before he even arrived there were some on the site who predicted he's some how return to his earlier career fame. He didn't, and now can't Don't listen to the media just watch  and judge yourself. He gets beat to the outside continuously and that's not good for an NHL D'man. The question must be asked why in the heck did JB favour OEL over Edler. The Cap hit was 50% and Edler is still doing sterling work on Stanley Cup bound Kings

Dude he is only injured.  And was playing hurt beforehand.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I have the feeling ( just predicated on words from PA/JR ) that Johanssen might turn out to be a surprise next summer camp and eventually find a spot with Vcr

Found Friedman's burner account (always writes VCR instead of VAN)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Kuzy said:

Found Friedman's burner account (always writes VCR instead of VAN)

Sorrry to disapoint, I worked in international based business and Vancouver was always Vcr, New Orleaan was NOLA and Singapore was Spore etc etc

• Cheers 1

On 4/3/2023 at 2:19 PM, Fred65 said:

I have the feeling ( just predicated on words from PA/JR ) that Johanssen might turn out to be a surprise next summer camp and eventually find a spot with Vcr

I remember at some point Allvin saying he expects Johannson to make the team next year

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2