The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

10 People Stabbed to Death in Saskatchewan

DonLever

16 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

The point is, this particular case, and many others, they are cut and dry. 

Are you saying these scum sucking pigs should be given a fair trial? 

Yes they should get a fair trial, are you suggesting that they shouldn't? We should just kill them without due process? What's to stop the government from extra judicial killings by claiming someone is a murderer and killing them just to get rid of them? Try and think beyond your revenge blood lust.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Just saw a report that said one of the suspects has been found dead....the other is still at large:

https://www.cnn.com/americas/live-news/canada-stabbing-saskatchewan-manhunt-updates-09-05-22#h_309ee564ce9fb3ca6db261b3e47febd2

Hopefully these two are both dead, so they can’t hurt any other people.  But reading the one guy has a lengthy criminal record sure is upsetting.

“He had been serving a nearly five-year federal sentence for assault, robbery, mischief and uttering threats. He got a statutory release, and then disappeared.”   If long time criminals were just kept in jail then they couldn’t do such horrible things.  God, this is so bad.  So many families hurt here.  This is so bad.  Can’t really express properly.  Very very sad for the families.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Hopefully these two are both dead, so they can’t hurt any other people.  But reading the one guy has a lengthy criminal record sure is upsetting.  If long time criminals were just kept in jail then they couldn’t do such horrible things.  God, this is so bad.  So many families hurt here.  This is so bad.  Can’t really express properly.  Very very sad for the families.  

The article I read said that the remaining suspect "may seek medical treatment"....

It's just a guess, but my theory is that the two brothers got into a fight and it went worse for Damien than it did Myles....From what I gathered, Myles is/was much bigger....

14 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Get over yourself 

Sorry...trying to put the connection together between my comment and yours. Can you please enlighten me? In society it's usually quite acceptable to call out someone who makes a serious social faux pas...it helps the person grow and maybe take a look in a mirror. I wasn't sure how humour was socially acceptable in such a serious situation, it reminded me of that smarta$$ guy in college who took nothing serious. If you can't read the room (ie/ the social situation) then it's best to just stay silent, not try to score humour points at the expense of a serious situation. The last thing I did was make it about me...I offered no opinion on the situation nor any opinion of whatever future justice should be doled out. So there was no "me" in my comment...I was merely pointing out to an adolescent behaving individual that this was simply not the time, place or situation for such a smart-a$$ comment.

31 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

what do you think it was for their victims?

I agree but if we resort to torture then we are no better than them. I am not in favor of hanging either as it can take 10 to 15 minutes for some to die that way from what I have read. A bullet to the brain via the back of the head is instantaneous.

11 hours ago, Playoff Beered said:

So you're willing to put people "to sleep" and if you make a mistake then that's just the cost of doing business?

https://stories.avvo.com/crime/murder/8-people-who-were-executed-and-later-found-innocent.html

You are comparing apples to oranges here. We are not the USA. Show me any wrongfully convicted and sentenced to death in Canada, Yes; I do realize that the death penalty has been off the books since about 1976 and the last executions were in 1962 both by hanging. Not in favor of hanging. Bullet to the back of the head is much more humane IMO.

18 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

You are comparing apples to oranges here. We are not the USA. Show me any wrongfully convicted and sentenced to death in Canada, Yes; I do realize that the death penalty has been off the books since about 1976 and the last executions were in 1962 both by hanging. Not in favor of hanging. Bullet to the back of the head is much more humane IMO.

Do a google search...you would have murdered some of these people? As you just told another poster, "then we are no better than them".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overturned_convictions_in_Canada

http://www.innocencecanada.com/exonerations

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/browse/people/politics-law/wrongly-convicted

Edited by Playoff Beered

24 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

And if you have the time you can dig through this...

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/cj-jp/ccr-rc/mjc-cej/index.html

13 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

Do a google search...you would have murdered some of these people? As you just told another poster, "then we are no better than them".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overturned_convictions_in_Canada

http://www.innocencecanada.com/exonerations

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/browse/people/politics-law/wrongly-convicted

You are still comparing apples to oranges here. How many would have faced the death penalty? How many were charged with 1st degree murder? How many were 2nd degree murder or manslaughter? Big difference. 1st degree murder is much harder to both prove and convict on; that is why most are charged with either 2nd degree or manslaughter

9 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

You are still comparing apples to oranges here. How many would have faced the death penalty? How many were charged with 1st degree murder? How many were 2nd degree murder or manslaughter? Big difference. 1st degree murder is much harder to both prove and convict on; that is why most are charged with either 2nd degree or manslaughter

All these people would probably get a death sentence in your world, the dates are how long they were in prison before being exonerated.

Romeo Phillion: Murder of Ottawa firefighter in 1967 — 31 years.

David Milgaard: Murder of Saskatoon nursing aide in 1969 — 23 years.

Glen Assoun: Killing of former common law spouse in Dartmouth, N.S. — 17 years.

James Driskell: Killing of acquaintance in Winnipeg — 13 years.

William Mullins-Johnson: Sodomization and suffocation of four-year-old niece in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., in 1993 — 12 years.

Donald Marshall Jr: Murder of acquaintance in Sydney, N.S. in 1971 — 11 years.

Steven Truscott: Classmate’s rape and murder near Clinton, Ont., when he was 14 years old — 10 years in prison.

Robert Baltovich: Killing of girlfriend in Toronto in 1990 — 8 years.

Thomas Sophonow: Convicted twice in 1981 murder of 16-year-old donut shop worker in Winnipeg — four years.

Guy Paul Morin: Sex slaying in Queensville, Ont., of nine-year-old neighbour in 1984 — 18 months.

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

All these people would probably get a death sentence in your world, the dates are how long they were in prison before being exonerated.

Romeo Phillion: Murder of Ottawa firefighter in 1967 — 31 years.

David Milgaard: Murder of Saskatoon nursing aide in 1969 — 23 years.

Glen Assoun: Killing of former common law spouse in Dartmouth, N.S. — 17 years.

James Driskell: Killing of acquaintance in Winnipeg — 13 years.

William Mullins-Johnson: Sodomization and suffocation of four-year-old niece in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., in 1993 — 12 years.

Donald Marshall Jr: Murder of acquaintance in Sydney, N.S. in 1971 — 11 years.

Steven Truscott: Classmate’s rape and murder near Clinton, Ont., when he was 14 years old — 10 years in prison.

Robert Baltovich: Killing of girlfriend in Toronto in 1990 — 8 years.

Thomas Sophonow: Convicted twice in 1981 murder of 16-year-old donut shop worker in Winnipeg — four years.

Guy Paul Morin: Sex slaying in Queensville, Ont., of nine-year-old neighbour in 1984 — 18 months.

That is strictly conjecture on your part.