The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Podkolzin for RHD

On 9/6/2022 at 5:48 PM, Provost said:

Sure if you thought you could forecast his value and get similar back.  If someone offered Dobson for Podkolzin you obviously have a really hard time turning that down.

Almost impossible to know what he will be yet, so any trade is risky unless it is just a slam dunk.

From what other players rave about him, we could be giving up a guy who will be on our top line for a decade and plays a heavy, responsible game.  

His contract status also matters, we will get surplus value from him on his ELC and he doesn’t seem like he will be the flashiest offensive type of player that tends to get way overpaid on his first RFA deal… so him at around $3-4 million a year for a bridge deal is also likely to provide an efficient contract which we will need to open up a contending window.

Yes.   Team actually ends up in great shape if Podz ends up becoming an impact player like EP and QHs etc.   To me he's a glue guy that can do it all .. swiss army knife - our version of Brady T or Paul Statsny.   At worst a great support player.    He wasn't a liability.   Likely we get him on a bridge or a very reasonable long term deal.    And thankfully, the cap starts going up soon and is expected to gain 10% plus  over the first couple seasons.   A big bounce.   That extra 9-11 when we don't have anyone that's sucking the cap life out of the team is going to go a long way into helping this team with our back-up and shoring up the D.  

JB gets a lot of flak and deservedly so, but one thing he did a decent job with now that he killed our dead cap, is staggering his contracts well.   Next off season the rest of our dead cap comes off the books and Allvin and Co can if they want, go again with the same team we have this season.    Ferland is gone too.    For the first time since before all the Sedin era guys got paid (and FYI, the Sedins, barely had done anything yet, but both got 8.3% of the cap on their bridge.... )  ... we actually have a great cap situation.   Just need to swap a little out here and there.   OEL and Myers are a bit overpaid yes.   EP so far too, but he is going to get there.  This year.  

Allvin and Co just need to swap some of that around ... to create a succession plan for our D.    Brock is probably that player. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Severson isn't getting that much.   He's not getting as much as Miller could have ... More likely he's getting a late first and a decent B level project, or a Devon Toews deal.   After he's on the third line his stats will drop (Marino was brought in ... and Hamilton isn't going to be injured every year - Severson did an admirable job when he was out though).   He's also not getting the world as a UFA either.    A Myers deal at most.  Next off season UFAs as a whole won't get as much unless they sign one year deals and hope the cap goes up enough ... Klingberg made a big mistake lol.

Which is why i think he's a decent target.   Hogs and a second would be a realistic return.   Also NJ needs cheap deals and futures... wouldn't take much work for us to add Severson going into this season.   Or at this years TDL when someone for sure will be out, and we can keep that going until the playoffs and cap doesn't count.

UFA D's in the mid range offer the best value usually.   Same as forwards.   Manson.  Tanev.    Those guys are the ones we need until we can actually draft our own.   The irony is we probably have to use picks to do that now.    JB big  mistake was trading for Schmidt and not keeping Tanev.   Otherwise, i have to wonder, how much we'd actually be talking about this.    We'd have our top four.   That said, it's not like Schenn didn't do a decent job either.    Im with the crowd that thinks adding a top four D, a legit one not a Stetcher or Schenn or Benn...or Poolman or Dermott (although Dermott at least is young and cheap enough to have some promise ... Poolman i think is fine as depth or bottom pairing)...

There is a chance we have one already in Rathbone.   He could be our Girard.  If you look at that team, they play some small D with some bigger guys.   Manson ... well good UFAs want to play on good teams ... so get that.   Severson at least has ties to BC.   And won't cost the farm as a UFA.   Caps going up.   Every team needs it too.   And it will because last year covid restrictions still caused reduced revenue but they posted record ones with Seattle added.    Believe we could sign Severson and fit him in without any major player movement next season ... And Myers is a top four D despite him not being the best fit on this team.    Severson has the tools to be this teams version on Hamhuis.   

Or we go after a mid range LHD, and just move OEL to the right side.   Rathbone OEL ... who knows?   Or QHs OEL and play them almost  half the game like the best D's in the game have being doing for decades.   Makes things a lot easier for the guys below them.   

We absolutely need to work on the D.   The biggest challenge is doing that in a way that won't affect the make up of our forward group too much.    Last season under Bruce our GAA dropped a ton, and our GF went up a ton.    Special teams was the biggest difference...our 5 x 5 play was decent all year.    And getting rid of that tragically eye pooking Bubble Box finally ... thank you Walker! 

I've already been through this discussion with someone else. Severson on the "third line"? Get your head out of your ass.

12 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I've already been through this discussion with someone else. Severson on the "third line"? Get your head out of your ass.

Key points to my post: Marino is his replacement.   And sure they probably will play him until he's traded on the second pairing because they are for sure shopping him at least.   But he's not getting 48 points lol...Unless Hamilton goes down.  And even then doubtful. 

NJ needs cap savings not Garland but you never know. 

Are you having a bad day?   Maybe you need a special fo-fu coffee?   Get your head out of your own ass.  Severson isn't going to cost us the farm.   And he's not getting top money as a UFA.    

Edit: "After he's on the third pairing" is in the future - i never said he would be on the third pairing this year.    Head - Ass.   What does it look like up there anyways? 

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Key points to my post: Marino is his replacement.   And sure they probably will play him until he's traded on the second pairing because they are for sure shopping him at least.   But he's not getting 48 points lol...Unless Hamilton goes down.  And even then doubtful. 

NJ needs cap savings not Garland but you never know. 

Are you having a bad day?   Maybe you need a special fo-fu coffee?   Get your head out of your own ass.  Severson isn't going to cost us the farm.   And he's not getting top money as a UFA.    

No point arguing with someone like you. You're gonna be surprised when you see the return New Jersey gets for Severson, and the contract he gets.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HighOnHockey said:

No point arguing with someone like you. You're gonna be surprised when you see the return New Jersey gets for Severson, and the contract he gets.

Thanks for your contribution.   There were a lot of things in my post you could have honed in on. 

Like - "our D needs work"

The mid range UFAs offer the most.

Severson is going to get a deal like Myers as a UFA. 

He could he our Devon Toews.   Or our Hamhuis. 

So - what do you think he's going to get?  Once you add inflation and the fact caps going up soon ... do you think he's getting more then Myers did?    I think that's about the sweet spot (todays market)  and about what he's getting, with inflation.   He's not getting a 40 million dollar deal is he?   I doubt it.  

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Thanks for your contribution.   There were a lot of things in my post you could have honed in on. 

Like - "our D needs work"

The mid range UFAs offer the most.

Severson is going to get a deal like Myers as a UFA. 

He could he our Devon Toews.   Or our Hamhuis. 

So - what do you think he's going to get?  Once you add inflation and the fact caps going up soon ... do you think he's getting more then Myers did?    I think that's about the sweet spot (todays market)  and about what he's getting, with inflation.   He's not getting a 40 million dollar deal is he?   I doubt it.  

Like I said, I already had this exact conversation with someone else. Not going to waste my time having it over again. But since you're interested I guess I can go back and find and link it for you.

That's the start of it.

Edited by HighOnHockey

Just now, HighOnHockey said:

Like I said, I already had this exact conversation with someone else. Not going to waste my time having it over again. But since you're interested I guess I can go back and find and link it for you.

I'm sorry this bugged you.  Nah hard pass, not interested.    I just want to talk hockey.   But thanks for the offer.   And I forgive you.   And hope you can forgive me too for suggesting such a thing.  That Marino is going to push Severson down the lineup, it's a logical succession plan.   And his value isn't that high as a rental as some think.  Don't lump me in with someone else please.   There were a lot of other things in my post you could have added some thoughts too.   I do apologize if somehow this offended anyone. 

5 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Back on topic; Podkolzin is most assuredly not a Canuck I would trade. If Quinn Hughes can successfully make a switch, that's just one option. Can't help thinking 

our supposedly dreadful outcome without a natural RSD is simply not going to manifest it's self. For sure, it's something to work on but not to pay a king's ransom

for that pulverizes the positive chemistry on the team. Thinking sacrificing Pods would do that.

Personally i get the anxiety over what the teams been through.   And maybe i'm an idiot for saying this but still think that the team that Bruce managed, is the actual team.    That's a good team.   No not a top team and work still needs to be done.   But it's still a good team.   And for sure Podz is part of the puzzle.   Just look what management did this summer.  Overpaid for Ilya M (maybe) and brought in Kuzmo.   Podz isn't going anywhere. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Totally against trading Podz. 

RFA and a gamer.

his hands and confidence will settle in.  His willingness to push back, that’s already near power forward level.  He plays a two way game, will go to thr dirty areas, and will lie down in front of slap shots, or steal pucks.  

this would be Neely level bad.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

I honestly feel like Podkolzin could be a captain or alternative in the distant future.  I dont see him getting moved, ever. He is the kind of forward we need to have to be successful in the playoffs and we dont have anyone else like him coming up.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Podkolzin right now screams 30-40 goal scoring potential in the future, and with some physical presence as well. A top-6 if not top-line big, physical scoring winger is a decent trading chip but a top pairing RD is arguably the 2nd most useful and sought out position on the ice apart from goalies.

Carlo isn't good enough value-wise.

Dobson would be my pick but has too much value for Podz alone.

I'd rather trade Garland or (to a much lesser extent) Boeser for an RD considering we have so many good wingers now.

My personal fave would be Garland for Carlo straight up, if Boston want something more they can have a 3rd or 4th round pick, or Burroughs/Poolman to replace some RD minutes.

Hughes - Carlo

OEL - Myers

Dermott - Schenn