The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TV - Lord of The Rings: The Rings of Power

RUPERTKBD

28 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yeah they seemed to have skipped forward pretty fast. I do think the show is getting better, just seemed like a strange plot prop to just do it that way.

Its far better than the new Bored of the Rings thing tho, wow that was a sleeping pill. 

I still have hopes for the RoP.....we'll see how it goes moving forward....

I'm trying to guess who the "meteor" guy is....a wizard, most likely. Saruman? Gandalf?

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm trying to guess who the "meteor" guy is....a wizard, most likely. Saruman? Gandalf?

dunno, going to give that show a pass I think. 

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

dunno, going to give that show a pass I think. 

To each their own....I've been heavily invested in Tolkien's world since I was a kid. I'll give it a bit more than 2 mediocre episodes....

The Elrond - Durin thing was pretty lame though....:unsure:

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yeah they seemed to have skipped forward pretty fast. I do think the show is getting better, just seemed like a strange plot prop to just do it that way.

Its far better than the new Bored of the Rings thing tho, wow that was a sleeping pill. 

I personally like RoP. The score and cinematography is well done. A young Galadriel and Elrond are growing on me. Seeing the dwarves of Durin’s day is great. Understanding how Sauron manipulates all races with his rings of power is going to be interesting. 

I think it’s just a slower start than GoT. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Gandalf imo but i could see it being Saruman as well. Lol. Now I gotta watch it again. 

Edited by Sharpshooter

32 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I personally like RoP. The score and cinematography is well done. A young Galadriel and Elrond are growing on me. Seeing the dwarves of Durin’s day is great. Understanding how Sauron manipulates all races with his rings of power is going to be interesting. 

I think it’s just a slower start than GoT. 

I'm coming at it from someone who's never read the books. I guess maybe what makes it great for fans of the books is it doesn't try to bring in folks who don't know all the ins and outs of the story, but thats also maybe the thing that makes it hard for the casual fan to get into it?

sorry didn't meant to derail this thread with RoP complaints. 

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm coming at it from someone who's never read the books. I guess maybe what makes it great for fans of the books is it doesn't try to bring in folks who don't know all the ins and outs of the story, but thats also maybe the thing that makes it hard for the casual fan to get into it?

sorry didn't meant to derail this thread with RoP complaints. 

Same, started a new thread to discuss things. 

I know they are limited to only content introduced in the movies in the contractual rights and therefore the timeline has been altered in comparison to the Silmarillion but I thought the first two episodes have been great. 

I was originally unsure of the actor playing Elrond but so far he has won me over. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

One thing I've seen a lot of around the web is "Tolkien purists" getting their knickers in a twist, because the showrunners are including black characters.....:rolleyes:

Some people will always have the need to find something to be outraged by. In my opinion if the only thing to be upset about is if they force into the show gratuitous scenes of sex/nudity and or horrific violence to try to keep pace with GOT universe. That would go against the spirit of Tolkien’s work in my opinion.  

Don’t get me wrong I’m all for it in GRRM’s stories but that’s not the emphasis in any of the works of JRRT. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

If they were actual purists, they’d know that Tolkien had races of different skin colours, aside from the baddies. 

I think the movies whitewashed audiences into only accepting white people playing most of the parts.

Some people don’t like change nor accepting people who don’t look like them or what they’re used to,  I guess. 

Kinda mirrors the real world I suppose. I’m sure most will get over it and get past it.

That's exactly it.....It's basically a bunch of mouth breathers accusing the producers of being "woke"....

• Upvote 2

I'm trying to appreciate it as a casual fan, someone who's never read the books. Its a real struggle for me to both follow it and care about the characters 

My wife likes it tho so that means I'll have to watch :lol:

I need some kind of primer on the characters and whats going on. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

Some people will always have the need to find something to be outraged by. In my opinion if the only thing to be upset about is if they force into the show gratuitous scenes of sex/nudity and or horrific violence to try to keep pace with GOT universe. That would go against the spirit of Tolkien’s work in my opinion.  

Don’t get me wrong I’m all for it in GRRM’s stories but that’s not the emphasis in any of the works of JRRT. 

I haven't seen anything so far to suggest that they'll do that.

We just saw Galadriel do a lot of swimming in a decidedly thin dress, yet no "Wet T-shirt" type images. They also didn't show the decapitation of the Orc. My guess is that they'll stick to the PG 13 vibe....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Given he is with the proto-hobbits probably Gandalf. 

Did a bit of reading on that and Harfoots are actually one of 3 Hobbit races (the smallest, with darker skin and no beards. Can't remember the names other two off the top of my head)

Apparently the bulk of the folk who ended up in the Shire are of Harfoot descent, although there was likely a fair amount of cross breeding

• Thanks 1