The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TV - Lord of The Rings: The Rings of Power

RUPERTKBD

Loved the movies, as many did. If this series turns out to be good--even in the same conversation as the level of quality of LOTR movies, I'll probably give it a watch.

Are there any carryovers from the LOTR or Hobbit films? Composers, directors, etc.?

17 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

If they were actual purists, they’d know that Tolkien had races of different skin colours, aside from the baddies. 

I think the movies whitewashed audiences into only accepting white people playing most of the parts.

Some people don’t like change nor accepting people who don’t look like them or what they’re used to,  I guess. 

Kinda mirrors the real world I suppose. I’m sure most will get over it and get past it. 

17 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

One thing I've seen a lot of around the web is "Tolkien purists" getting their knickers in a twist, because the showrunners are including black characters.....:rolleyes:

Weird, it's almost as though Tolkien never portrayed black characters before because he was depicting Medieval Europe, particularly Northern Europe.... A region in which black people had not discovered or been introduced to yet.  

Elves in particular are of Nordic descent...  They have always been portrayed as pale with straight long hair, often blonde..  Again...No Latino people in this area.

But yeah I know, everybody is racist.  Got it.  Definitely has nothing to do with the original story being completely gutted to appease the 2022 woke agenda

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, King Loui said:

Weird, it's almost as though Tolkien never portrayed black characters before because he was depicting Medieval Europe, particularly Northern Europe.... A region in which black people had not discovered or been introduced to yet.  

Elves in particular are of Nordic descent...  They have always been portrayed as pale with straight long hair, often blonde..  Again...No Latino people in this area.

But yeah I know, everybody is racist.  Got it.  Definitely has nothing to do with the original story being completely gutted to appease the 2022 woke agenda

Yeah, about that…

Harfoots were one of the three breeds of hobbits, along with Stoors and Fallohides.

Description

They were browner of skin than other hobbits, had no beards, and did not wear any footwear. They lived in holes they called smials, a habit which they long preserved, and were on friendly terms with the Dwarves, who traveled through the High Pass.[1]

1.  1.0 1.1 The Lord of the Rings, Prologue, I. "Concerning Hobbits"

Its one thing to be over-‘woke’, it’s an entirely different thing to be half asleep. 

No where in the source material does it state that characters could not have been black or brown. It doesn’t say there couldn’t be brown/black elves, men, dwarves or even hobbits. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, King Loui said:

But yeah I know, everybody is racist. Got it.  Definitely has nothing to do with the original story being completely gutted to appease the 2022 woke agenda

Good, because anyone complaining about the woke agenda deserves to get it good and hard. But I'll tell you a secret, there is no woke agenda, there is no group conspiring to wake people up, it's just individual people becoming aware of century's of oppression and collectively doing something about it. If the word woke triggers you, then you're asleep. Kinda like if the word antifa triggers you, well then you're a fascist.

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, King Loui said:

https://www.latinorebels.com/2014/09/25/who-and-what-the-hell-is-a-white-hispanic/

1 hour ago, Playoff Beered said:

Good, because anyone complaining about the woke agenda deserves to get it good and hard. But I'll tell you a secret, there is no woke agenda, there is no group conspiring to wake people up, it's just individual people becoming aware of century's of oppression and collectively doing something about it. If the word woke triggers you, then you're asleep. Kinda like if the word antifa triggers you, well then you're a fascist.

Perfectly put.

As if not wanting to be an ignorant asshole needs to be an "agenda"....:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, about that…

Harfoots were one of the three breeds of hobbits, along with Stoors and Fallohides.

Description

They were browner of skin than other hobbits, had no beards, and did not wear any footwear. They lived in holes they called smials, a habit which they long preserved, and were on friendly terms with the Dwarves, who traveled through the High Pass.[1]

Its one thing to be over-‘woke’, it’s an entirely different thing to be half asleep. 

No where in the source material does it state that characters could not have been black or brown. It doesn’t say there couldn’t be brown/black elves, men, dwarves or even hobbits. 

Also the Easterlings.  Tolkien himself was strongly opposed to racism as well, but facts are getting in the way of people's feelings again.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, King Loui said:

You talk like you know what Tolkien was thinking.........but Frodo, Merry and Pippin say you don't know shit....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/tv/news/lord-of-the-rings-stars-elijah-wood-billy-boyd-and-dominic-monaghan-back-amazon-s-diverse-casting-you-are-all-welcome-here/ar-AA11zttq?cvid=a1c85580268941a99497ab4864d036f3

The cast of Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy were famously close, even getting matching tattoos before the end of production. But what is heartening to see now is that they also have solidarity with the new cast members of Amazon's "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power," who have already come under fire for the show's more diverse approach to casting.

Original Hobbits Elijah Wood (aka Frodo), Billy Boyd (aka Pippin) and Dominic Monaghan (aka Merry) posed for a photo posted on Wood's Twitter account, which you can see at the top of this post. They're all wearing matching T-shirts, with different ear shapes of different creatures of Middle-earth, in different skin tones. In Elvish, the shirt says: "You All Are Welcome Here."

If you haven't been following the controversy, trolls (the internet kind not the fantasy kind) have been coming after Prime Video's new "Lord of the Rings" series, not for any narrative shortcomings or wonky visual effects (which totally would have been fair game) but because they feel that the diverse cast, including a Black elf, somehow undermines J.R.R. Tolkein's original vision. They see the casting choices as not made in an effort to reflect the world we, as humans, live in, but one that only cowers to the woke agenda.

This is, of course, incredibly stupid and racist and also wrong. As Neil Gaiman, the celebrated fantasy writer and creator of "The Sandman" (which has also just been turned into a big-budget streaming adventure), pointed out, Tolkein described some of the characters, including the Harfoots, as "browner of skin" than the other Hobbits. "I think anyone grumbling is either racist or hasn't read their Tolkien. Your mileage may vary," Gaiman concluded. (He is very good on Twitter.)

A similar attack, only this time more misogynist than racist, is being leveled against Marvel Studios' "She-Hulk: Attorney at Law," with fanboys mad that the company is focusing so much on female superheroes. Because nobody can hate something quite as well as "fans."

You can get your own version of the T-shirt Elijah and the other Hobbits wore here. Fifty percent of proceeds will go to charitable causes, so you can feel even better about ordering.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Also the Easterlings.  Tolkien himself was strongly opposed to racism as well, but facts are getting in the way of people's feelings again.

The Easterlings were depicted as ‘baddies’ that helped Sauron but we have no understanding about their motivations or their ‘race’ or if Tolkien used their ‘swarthy’ colour to imply that all or any people of colour in his FANTASY tome were ever meant to reflect his reflection of racism. 

We are simply using our modern understanding of modern society and projecting it to works innocently written decades ago. 

Queen ‘White Girl’ Elsa- “Let it Go!”

Description

As of the Third Age, Easterlings were a people diverse in height and skin tone. Their skin was either sallow (a pale yellow) or olive, their eyes were dark (dark brown and black), and their straight hair was black. One unique variant appeared at the Siege of Gondor, described as broad, short, bearded, and wielding axes. It is unspecified whether the Easterlings of the First Age (told of in the Quenta Silmarillion) were the primary ancestors of those that later settled Rhûn.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, about that…

Description

About what?  It says there are certain breeds of Hobits that had browner skin than the others... So like..more tanned?  It says nothing here about black hobbits 

Nothing in the source material?  Have you not watched any of the movies or read the books?  There's not a single black or latino character(or background extra)...because it's medieval Europe... They are of Nordic and Celtic descent, again, in medieval times...far away from the African region. 

Now all of a sudden there's some random, token Latin Elf and some other black characters sprinkled in.  Sure it's great and all but it's undermining the original story, that's why people are pissed

Nobody cares about the skin color, it's about the original story and hollywood/amazon politicizing and ruining yet another great movies/series.  Nobody caarreessss about the race.  Get over it.   

I'm done here cause it's the same thing over and over again with you guys.  Literally everybody is just racist and ignorant.

Go give it a good review on Amazon why don't ya? 

Edited by King Loui

33 minutes ago, King Loui said:

About what?  It says there are certain breeds of Hobits that had browner skin than the others... So like..more tanned?  It says nothing here about black hobbits 

Nothing in the source material?  Have you not watched any of the movies or read the books?  There's not a single black or latino character(or background extra)...because it's medieval Europe... They are of Nordic and Celtic descent, again, in medieval times...far away from the African region. 

Now all of a sudden there's some random, token Latin Elf and some other black characters sprinkled in.  Sure it's great and all but it's undermining the original story, that's why people are pissed

Nobody cares about the skin color, it's about the original story and hollywood/amazon politicizing and ruining yet another great movies/series.  Nobody caarreessss about the race.  Get over it.   

I'm done here cause it's the same thing over and over again with you guys.  Literally everybody is just racist and ignorant.

Do you believe that all people of African descent are just ‘black’? 

:huh:

I have read the books. I actually cited a reference for you from the first book. 

I thought that would be enough for you to realize that you were in error and gave you the opportunity to save face and some dignity. 

You clearly do not care about your own dignity as it’s apparently superseded by the heft of the gravitational singularity that is your apparent ignorance. 

Just for my own amusement at this point, I wanted to let you in on a little secret…all the Celts and Nords and every other single person on the face of the planet right now are descendants of those from what is now known as ‘Africa’.

Enjoy. ;)

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Do you believe that all people of African descent are just ‘black’? 

:huh:

I have read the books. I actually cited a reference for you from the first book. 

I thought that would be enough for you to realize that you were in error and gave you the opportunity to save face and some dignity. 

You clearly do not care about your own dignity as it’s apparently superseded by heft of the gravitational singularity that is your apparent ignorance. 

Just for my own amusement at this point, I wanted to let you in on a little secret…all the Celts and Nords and every other single person in the face of the planet right now are descendants of those from what is now known as ‘Africa’.

Enjoy. ;)

Why are there no black, asian, latino etc characters in any of the books or movies?

20 minutes ago, King Loui said:

It's not medieval Europe. It's a fairy tale. Elves are not Nordic origin. Middle earth is not earth. There's no Europe or Africa. Dwarfs are not little people. Hobbits are not Homo floresiensis.  The real human story is that several species of human walked this earth at the same time (homo sapien, neanderthal, denisovan, floresiensis etc).  The races we think we know today doesn't even exist several hundred (Hispanics) or tens of thousands of years ago (Caucasian).  You think there are white people 100,000 yrs ago?  Maybe only in a fairy tale about elves that are immortal and evolution never happens. 

Tolkien's lack of imagination of what actual human beings look like doesn't translate to his amazing imagination for the fictious world he created.  If this rendition bothers you, don't watch it I guess. 

I have more issues with the cast, rather than their supposed races.  Elrond actor is so so. The galadriel lady is ok, her accent isn't as good as Cate Blanchett. Harfoots are more annoying than Hobbits, and I didn't like hobbits in LOTR.  Maybe the show will grow on me. Episode 2 was better than than the first.

I loved the PJ LOTR extended version movies, watched it so many times.  The music score, costumes, design and actors are just fabulous. It's a high bar to match.  It's best to lower your expectations for ROP.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, King Loui said:

Why are there no black, asian, latino etc characters in any of the books or movies?

There are people of colour in the books. 

This is what I’ve been trying to explain to you, without success seemingly. 

Latino, Asian, African, Celtic, Nordic cultures are not a part of the FANTASY world created by Mr. Tolkien. 

Nowhere are those people or cultures mentioned. 

People and Hobbits of different skin complexion/colours however, are, by Mr Tolkien. 

Why are you so obsessed with skin colour in a fantasy show?

Thats weird. 

• Cheers 1