The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TV - Lord of The Rings: The Rings of Power

RUPERTKBD

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

Have you read the series ? 

15 books including the prequel. 

The complexity of both the characters, various societies and how they all interact is brilliant. 

Tolkien's work is very simplistic at its heart, he describes his work as fundamentally religious and Catholic.

I will say Feanor is one of the best fantasy characters ever created.

Anyway that's just my opinion. 

You know what they say, Keep it simple, stupid. 

On 9/8/2022 at 6:21 AM, Ilunga said:

Hey Rupe have you seen the Wheel of Time series ? 

I don't stream or have the internet apart from my phone and tablet for Lachie. 

I refuse to have anything to do with Amazon full stop.

I have been told by fans of the book series it ain't that great. 

Oh gawd they massacred the wheel of time. Unfortunately from what ive seen of the rings of amazon, its worse. 

The dialog and acting is brutal. Its like a bunch of teenagers started writing a screenplay for their grade 10 drama class. Its confusing and muddled, and it “map jumps” to a different story thread at times where it feels like it shouldnt....much like a bad 80’s soap opera. 

The worst thing about the amazons of power, somewhat ironically perhaps?, is that they turned galadriel into an unlikeable toxic male who bullies, doesnt “lead” just “commands”, is impatient, whos only emotions seem to be anger or some variation of frustration that shes not getting everything she wants when she wants it. 

People can deflect criticism all they want, but in the end bad entertainment is still bad. Unless people stop consuming the garbage that these corporations are pooping out, theres no reason for them to change. 

Come on.....with the world in the state its in....there was nothing else amazon could have spent 500 million dollars on that would actually make the world a better place? And people are defending this poorly written, badly acted mess of expensive scenery?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Oh gawd they massacred the wheel of time. Unfortunately from what ive seen of the rings of amazon, its worse. 

The dialog and acting is brutal. Its like a bunch of teenagers started writing a screenplay for their grade 10 drama class. Its confusing and muddled, and it “map jumps” to a different story thread at times where it feels like it shouldnt....much like a bad 80’s soap opera. 

The worst thing about the amazons of power, somewhat ironically perhaps?, is that they turned galadriel into an unlikeable toxic male who bullies, doesnt “lead” just “commands”, is impatient, whos only emotions seem to be anger or some variation of frustration that shes not getting everything she wants when she wants it. 

People can deflect criticism all they want, but in the end bad entertainment is still bad. Unless people stop consuming the garbage that these corporations are pooping out, theres no reason for them to change. 

Come on.....with the world in the state its in....there was nothing else amazon could have spent 500 million dollars on that would actually make the world a better place? And people are defending this poorly written, badly acted mess of expensive scenery?

This critic really slams it.

He claims it is reportedly costing them 1 billion to make.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/duncan-lay-rings-of-power-would-have-tolkien-turning-in-his-grave/news-story/68b8f10272392cdc634c989d2780ebbf

Hi, hoping for some help. Not tech literate at all. 
Signed up for Amazon Prime which includes Prime Video. 
I turned on smart tv and selected Prime Video as the source. 
It told me to enter a code into my account  on my IPhone which I did and I was then able to watch Prime programs ( Rings of Power) . 
I then found my way out of Prime and to regular TV just to see how to get back and forth between the two. 
Now if I enter Prime to watch ROP I get a message saying 
“ Your device is connected to the internet using a VPN or proxy service. Please disable it and try again .” 
I tried to figure this out but am completely bamboozled by this stuff.

Could someone please offer a solution? 

11 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Hi, hoping for some help. Not tech literate at all. 
Signed up for Amazon Prime which includes Prime Video. 
I turned on smart tv and selected Prime Video as the source. 
It told me to enter a code into my account  on my IPhone which I did and I was then able to watch Prime programs ( Rings of Power) . 
I then found my way out of Prime and to regular TV just to see how to get back and forth between the two. 
Now if I enter Prime to watch ROP I get a message saying 
“ Your device is connected to the internet using a VPN or proxy service. Please disable it and try again .” 
I tried to figure this out but am completely bamboozled by this stuff.

Could someone please offer a solution? 

How to fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error

The good news is that you don’t need to do much to fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error. In fact, there’s a quick and easy solution:

1. Choose one of the VPN services that still works with Amazon Prime Video – we recommend NordVPN.
  2. Download the appropriate software for your operating system. The best VPNs offer apps for desktop and mobile devices. Some even offer browser extensions.
  3. Open the VPN app or browser extension and connect to a server in the region you wish to access the internet from. This might be the USA, for example.
  4. Go to Amazon Prime Video and open the content you want to watch. This should now be unblocked, with no HTTP proxy error.
  5. If you are still coming up against the HTTP proxy error, try clearing your browser’s cookies. Alternatively, try another server or contact your VPN’s customer support.

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacy/fix-amazon-prime-http-proxy-error/

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

How to fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error

The good news is that you don’t need to do much to fix the Amazon Prime HTTP proxy error. In fact, there’s a quick and easy solution:

1. Choose one of the VPN services that still works with Amazon Prime Video – we recommend NordVPN.
  2. Download the appropriate software for your operating system. The best VPNs offer apps for desktop and mobile devices. Some even offer browser extensions.
  3. Open the VPN app or browser extension and connect to a server in the region you wish to access the internet from. This might be the USA, for example.
  4. Go to Amazon Prime Video and open the content you want to watch. This should now be unblocked, with no HTTP proxy error.
  5. If you are still coming up against the HTTP proxy error, try clearing your browser’s cookies. Alternatively, try another server or contact your VPN’s customer support.

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacy/fix-amazon-prime-http-proxy-error/

Thank you Sharpshooter. Do I need to download that to my phone or my desktop or both? I’m on Telus and as far as I know the tv is on wifi only and receives its signal from the wifi device near my desktop. 
Apologies for being off topic however this seemed like somewhere I could get some help. 

11 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Thank you Sharpshooter. Do I need to download that to my phone or my desktop or both? I’m on Telus and as far as I know the tv is on wifi only and receives its signal from the wifi device near my desktop. 
Apologies for being off topic however this seemed like somewhere I could get some help. 

Try one and then the other if it doesn’t work. Hope it helps. :)

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2022 at 8:22 PM, Sharpshooter said:

To see Elendil in his prime and his son Isildur, this episode, was fantastic. 

As well as Numenor. 

This place and those forefathers of Aragorn, are legendary. 

I was very happily surprised. 

Yes, good casting for those characters. Series getting better. Didn't like the first episode but it seems to have settled in. 

• Cheers 1

On 9/7/2022 at 8:18 PM, King Loui said:

has zero to do about race, it's about the original story.  Google it

Tolkien wrote at the beginning of the 20th century, complaining that unlike the neighboring countries of Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, England had little mythology of its own. He wanted to create a mythology for his country and drew inspiration from Germanic and Scandinavian mythology and his fondness of Nordic and Anglo-Saxon culture.

Yo dude....maybe you haven't heard, but Hollywood has cast a black girl in the part of Ariel in the live action remake of the Little Mermaid....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2022/09/14/disneys-little-mermaid-backlash-has-reached-insane-heights/?sh=2b2aea905592

You might want to get going with the faux moral outrage......or don't you care about Hans Christian Andersen's "vision"?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yo dude....maybe you haven't heard, but Hollywood has cast a black girl in the part of Ariel in the live action remake of the Little Mermaid....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2022/09/14/disneys-little-mermaid-backlash-has-reached-insane-heights/?sh=2b2aea905592

You might want to get going with the faux moral outrage......or don't you care about Hans Christian Andersen's "vision"?

Andersen probably thought Jesus was a white Anglo-Saxon, but I digress. 

Now we’re steering the thread away from the topic and I apologize for having a hand in it just now. 

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yo dude...turn off "The View" and go outside

The Little Mermaid will be a flop just like all the other woke garbage Hollywood puts out but good for them.  Nobody cares if she's black or white, purple, gold or pink, in the original story she was white, people want original.  Stop trying to divide with your virtue signaling 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, King Loui said:

Yo dude...turn off "The View" and go outside

The Little Mermaid will be a flop just like all the other woke garbage Hollywood puts out but good for them.  Nobody cares if she's black or white, purple, gold or pink, in the original story she was white, people want original.  Stop trying to divide with your virtue signaling 

Gandhi, an Indian, was played by a white guy.

Are you equally outraged around originality for that movie as you are for a cartoon character? 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Gandhi, an Indian, was played by a white guy.

Are you equally outraged around originality for that movie as you are for a cartoon character? 

He's mixed race, his father grew up in the exact same area that Ghandi did.  Nonetheless, Kinglsey got his academy award taken away and yeah they probably should of found a pure Indian

Edited by King Loui

2 hours ago, King Loui said:

He's mixed race, his father grew up in the exact same area that Ghandi did.  Nonetheless, Kinglsey got his academy award taken away and yeah they probably should of found a pure Indian

Yeah, and John Wayne's second cousin was Mongolian.....

The Conqueror — The Appalachian Theatre of the High Country

Seeing Numenor and the destruction of it was incredible. 

I felt the same kind of ‘oh shut’ moment as the Regent did watching the trembles in the ground turn into a tidal wave of complete annihilation. 

All I was thinking was, “Give her damn baby back!” :lol:

Also, loving Durin’s wife. She’s a ‘character’. 

Isildur’s back story makes sense with our sense of him, at his end. 

I had either forgotten or glossed over just how powerful the Valdar were. I didn’t even realize that they gifted the Numenors( Aragorn’s people) an island just for themselves. 

The Numenors that remain, including Aragorn, lived for hundreds of years more than just normal men, and yet they still were unworthy of their gifts. 

Reminds me of ‘Murica, or the Romans, Greek etc…an empire that had it all and then pissed it away in an unforced decline. 

There was so much to recall and take away from the last episode. I had to pause it multiple time just to Google stuff that I had forgotten or had no idea about. 

The show is getting better and better and the tension is rising and I’m glad I’m here for it without being a silly little, well, ‘pejorative’. 

This is a solid show. Which I think some may not be getting. It’s not a movie. It’s a slow burn that is ramping up. Why is that an issue? 

The colours of characters is the worst criticism I’ve heard of in ages. May multiculturalism live on in fantasy based storytelling. There’s just too many great actors to leave out which enrich the overall cast and quality. 

Looking forward to the next episode. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Like 1