The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 2022 Young Stars Tourney Thread

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Thanks @CRAZY_4_NAZZY for the thread! 

Happy that we've returned to the old format of Canucks, Oilers, Flames & Jets and our first taste of Canucks hockey!

Players I'm excited to get a look at;

Bains - Speedster who had a good prospects camp.  By all accounts he has good skills and practices like a pro.  Will be good to see how he stacks up against other clubs prospects to get a better idea of his level of play.

Karlsson - Hoping he looks too good for the tourney as he's been playing pro already.  Hopefully he can spend some time playing C as we're thin in that position for the farm.  In reality he'll be sent to down for the season but he could work his way into main camp.

Klimovich - Still so young with raw skills.  Hoping his offseason training has been fruitful and continues an upward trajectory.   He has to show he can earn his spot and play most of the 72 games down in Abby.  Good thing we can be patient with him.

Defensemen, not holding my breath but hoping we have some surprises at main camp.

1 more week, everyone!!! :towel:

• Cheers 3

The way things are the Canucks will be unable to ice all of their best prospects but it is still hockey.... game on!!

Curious to see if there are any interesting unsigned players they can add for the tourney just for a look.

STINGRAYS SIGN TWO-TIME NCAA CHAMPION MATT ANDERSON

05 Apr 2022

Anderson_Signing

NORTH CHARLESTON, SC – The South Carolina Stingrays, proud ECHL affiliate of the NHL’s Washington Capitals and AHL’s Hershey Bears, announced the signing of defenseman Matt Anderson today.

Anderson, 22, spent the last five seasons at the University of Minnesota – Duluth where he recorded 28 points (three goals, 25 assists) in 181 games played. The native of Shakopee, MN joined the Bulldogs as a freshman during the 2017-18 campaign and was a part of the back-to-back NCAA Championships. Anderson rejoins UMD teammates Jade Miller and Hunter Shepard who he played with from 2017-2020.

Prior to joining the Bulldogs, Anderson played 17 games with the Green Bay Gamblers of the USHL and tallied three assists from 2015-17. The blueliner spent the majority of those seasons as captain at Holy Family Catholic High School where he scored 14 goals and added 47 assists for 61 points in 44 games his junior and senior year.

I see Lekkermäki on the list of players that @CRAZY_4_NAZZY posted but was this for development camp or is this for the tournament? I am stoked if he’s going to be in Penticton next weekend but I was sure he was playing pre-season in Sweden for his upcoming campaign. Would love to see our blue chipper in action if this is indeed true.

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

I see Lekkermäki on the list of players that @CRAZY_4_NAZZY posted but was this for development camp or is this for the tournament? I am stoked if he’s going to be in Penticton next weekend but I was sure he was playing pre-season in Sweden for his upcoming campaign. Would love to see our blue chipper in action if this is indeed true.

Unfortunately that is the development camp roster not the Young Stars roster. There are at least 21 players from that camp that won't be in Penticton including Lekkermaki, McDonough, and Jacob Truscott. Almost all the NCAA guys and European players will not be there. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Podz92 said:

Unfortunately that is the development camp roster not the Young Stars roster. There are at least 21 players from that camp that won't be in Penticton including Lekkermaki, McDonough, and Jacob Truscott. Almost all the NCAA guys and European players will not be there. 

Yeah I thought it was from the development camp after the draft and not the updated roster for next weekends tournament. Thanks for clarifying. Should still have some good names to watch and it’ll be great to

have hockey back beginning with the baby Nucks. Cheers Podz

• Cheers 1

Question here: For as many years this has been happening, I don’t recall there ever being a YoungStars Cup or title for the best team in the standings. I know it’s for all purposes a development camp before main camp. Would give the teams/players a bit more incentive to win the tournament if there was a cup or title. Making the main roster would be the biggest incentive to do well in the young stars but the winner must have something to showcase that their team is the best of the bunch no? Bring on the Penticton/Young Stars Cup I say! 

Edited by EP Phone Home