The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 2022 Young Stars Tourney Thread

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Don’t we think it’s all about winning every game?  Isn’t it a losers’ attitude to accept losing?  Don’t get this.  It’s either win or lose.  And losing is what losers do.  

Then you'd have a team of Kadris coached by Babcock.  Not interested in that

On 9/13/2022 at 12:19 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Very Interesting to see that Karel Plasek is omitted from this group.

Would have thought after having a season ending injury since last Christmas, he would've wanted to be here to play and get his feet wet. I assume he is healthy at this point but maybe I'm wrong. 

I think he was still working back from his last season's injury. He only flew back to Vancouver yesterday.

• Cheers 1

On 9/19/2022 at 1:47 AM, Alienhuggyflow said:

Especially sincel the prospects getting the most praise (Klimovich,  Linus Silov))  are from the Benning regime.

Again, drafting was never the problem.  Player development was Benning's downfall.  Teams that make the playoffs have more than just their first rounders make the team.  take a look at our core.  Horvat, Boeser,  Pettersson, Hughes, Podkolzin all first rounders. How many second rounders besides Hoglander and Demko do you see. Not much to show for 7 years as GM.  The othercore players like Miller and Garland cost us two 1st rounders.  Klimovich was a great pick but under Benning I'd have little faith he'd be headed in the right direction. Benning's Player development was aimless.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

Again, drafting was never the problem.  Player development was Benning's downfall.  Teams that make the playoffs have more than just their first rounders make the team.  take a look at our core.  Horvat, Boeser,  Pettersson, Hughes, Podkolzin all first rounders. How many second rounders besides Hoglander and Demko do you see. Not much to show for 7 years as GM.  The othercore players like Miller and Garland cost us two 1st rounders.  Klimovich was a great pick but under Benning I'd have little faith he'd be headed in the right direction. Benning's Player development was aimless.

Wasn't any better before Benning, but yes, he did little to improve it it seems. Replacing Green in Utica with a seemingly likeminded coach. I'm not all that thrilled that Cull is with the big club, though since the NHL isn't a developmental league, maybe what he's bringing to the table is actually good for a coaching staff to have at the NHL level.

On 9/7/2022 at 1:32 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

With the tournament arriving in little over a week from now I thought I would get one going. Man I am excited for Canucks hockey again.

This is the schedule according to Canucks Army: https://canucksarmy.com/2022/06/23/canucks-release-schedule-for-2022-young-stars-classic-in-penticton/

Screen-Shot-2022-06-23-at-11.17.05-AM.png?resize=600%2C527&ssl=1

I've seen more and more rosters come out for other prospect tournaments for teams. Will be interesting to see who is invited. Historically, the Canucks have mainly invited out prospects who either played in the CHL, the AHL, ECHL, and free agent signings.

• NCAA rules suggest that any form of games with an NHL club (even a prospect tournament is considered as a pro level game) will lead to college players losing their eligibility to play in the NCAA and scholarships. The likes of Gardner, Truscott, Dorrington, McDonough, Koskenvuo, Malone, and Kunz will be unavailable for the tourney.
  • Additionally, with European leagues already midway/towards the end of their own preseasons, I don't think the Canucks will invite their European prospects over. Makes no sense to get them to travel for a 3 game tournament and take them out of their own rhythm of play across seas with their clubs. So I don't think Lekkerimaki, Forsell, Pettersson, Myrenberg, Gabrielsson, Persson, Jurmo, Zlodeev, and Costmar will be joining the team either.
  • Even based on past rules if I recall correctly, the young stars tourney had rules regarding games played for prospects in the AHL/ECHL level. I can't remember the number but I think it was somewhere between 75-100 pro games led to not being eligible as well. Which puts into questions whether we see the likes of Woo, Rathbone, Focht, and/or Lockwood at this tourney. They haven't played 100 pro games as of yet but all four have played a considerable amount of AHL/NHL games already. Perhaps they leave them off the roster to focus on main camp preparation. 

Based on the Canucks summer development camp and prospects who have seen very little pro games I expect this group to be part of the mix along with a lot of NCAA/college free agents, CHL free agents, and others. I think of guys like Jack Jensen, Jacob Bauer, Max Namestnikov, Jackson Van Leest, and Ian Murphy as potential additions to the roster

These are who I speculate would be at the tournament along with other free agent prospects.

Bains-Aman-Klimovich
Nielsen-Lockhart-Karlsson
Plasek-Wouters-Gatcomb

Nychuk-Kannok-Leipert
Schmiemann-Kudryavtsev

Silovs
Young

I was looking for Quinn Schmiemann's name but he is not on site  with the rest of the other Canuck prospect?

So had to come her to say I was very impressed with this young prospect.

I have watched him lots over last 2 years in WHL but he had a very good camp so far..

Big Schmiemann 21 yrs -6'2 - 205 - LD-- Hope he has a healthy season and plays his strong game..

Least he has signed with Vancouver...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

I was looking for Quinn Schmiemann's name but he is not on site  with the rest of the other Canuck prospect?

So had to come her to say I was very impressed with this young prospect.

I have watched him lots over last 2 years in WHL but he had a very good camp so far..

Big Schmiemann 21 yrs -6'2 - 205 - LD-- Hope he has a healthy season and plays his strong game..

Least he has signed with Vancouver...

He is Abbotsford Canucks property, not quite a Vancouver Canuck yet, but after a strong tourney he could earn his way towards an ELC

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I really want them to move Klimovich back to centre position.  He was drafted as a centre and his vision, playmaking and physicality is tailor made for a power centre.  This would be getting the most out of his skill set. 

Was he ever a centre??  I can't imagine them just deciding to make him a winger, with our lack of prospect centre depth, if he had any potential at all to be a centre. It would be akin to taking our best RHD prospect and making him play the left side.

2 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Was he ever a centre??  I can't imagine them just deciding to make him a winger, with our lack of prospect centre depth, if he had any potential at all to be a centre. It would be akin to taking our best RHD prospect and making him play the left side.

https://thehockeywriters.com/danila-klimovich-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/  Yeah, he was a centre when the Canucks drafted him.  

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I really want them to move Klimovich back to centre position.  He was drafted as a centre and his vision, playmaking and physicality is tailor made for a power centre.  This would be getting the most out of his skill set. 

One of Kilms biggest obstacles last year in the AHL was his engagement and awareness in plays. I personally don't think he would be a good option at C and is much better at the wing. These issues are what may hold him back from reaching his potential, so playing him at a position that these would be an even bigger detriment to his success seems very risky.