The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Netflix show Get Smart with Money is a sore for successful people

CanuckRookieFan

I am the OP of the thread, people may disagree with my views but please don't undermine my message. The thread underlines the insanity of the concept of FIRE and how the concept aims to "applaud" frugality.

My point is that frugality is one of the worst mind sets to apply in a city like Vancouver. We live in a luxury, prestigious city that is a playground for playboys and rich people who come to enjoy one of the most beautiful cities in the world. This isn't a city for frugal people, that type of mindset won't make you stand out.

In life I quickly learned that looks is the new currency of the 21st century, people who try to deny it or call others "materlistic" are just choosing to not indulge, while people like me continue to indulge. I have a great life, and I have many things while frugal people have basic things, I don't see how you can tell me basic things beat nice things. They don't.

7 hours ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

As the OP of this thread I am humbled by your responses, and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I want to emphasize that I am a person in my mid-30s who is heavily involved in the Yaletown scene and active on all social media platforms. I may offend some readers by my thoughts but society does not consider anyone over the age of 50 as "relevant" on social media. For that reason and this main reason alone the competition to "look" and act a certain way on social media really guides my life style - yes I have to go into debt to have "nice things" but I have to remind you, I HAVE NICE THINGS - i dont just go into debt for nothing, i actually trade debt for nice things.

Frugal people dont have nice things, they dont go out as much, they dont have Uber Eats on speed dial, they dont have brand clothing ,flashy cars or can buy a round of drinks for everyone at a club.. What type of a life is that a miserable life I say. Look at me, I got a life people envy. I got women up the yingyang coming on to me, I got things I can actually be proud of to show on social media. 

I dont want to be lectured by some senior who worked for 35 years and saved up a few mill in the bank, that is not impressive. Hidden tucked away money isnt impressive because its "invisible" you want to be relevant, you need to SHOW what you got. That "visibility" into your life style is what is the most expensive part of being an elite person, being frugal/FIRE is not elite or respectful or inspiring it is a selfish way to live in my honest opinon.

Which is why FIRE is seen as cheap, good luck taking a hot girl in Vancouver on a date and using a coupon to pay for the bill, see what happens. 

Frugal people do have nice things.  As a frugal person, I have nice things and live in a nice apartment by myself with a cat, and am very independent.  I get a thrill saving money, budgeting, and making my weekly grocery list.  I don't go into debt having nice things, and the nice things I do have like designer handbags, those were experiences, not spending my day shopping, but being on vacation and buying that handbag, and I did not go into debt.  

I don't care what people think about me and how they perceive me by the way I'm dressed or how I look. I love looking hip, but I don't spend a lot of money on looking hip and I love wearing sunglasses. 

For the ladies coming after you, wouldn't you much prefer dating someone or being in a relationship with someone who likes you for your personality instead of the material things and great restaurants you can take her?  

When I spend money, it is for the experience, not spending my day out shopping.  Great experiences have included day trips down to San Francisco, Montréal for the Playoffs (and I met Guy Lafleur one time and I got a CH haircut another time), spending the day in Victoria, going to London, just to name a few.  And I love Canucks and Habs games!  Of course these experiences were before the pandemic, but I am slowly getting back. 

• Like 1

If my daughter brought home a 35 yr old guy that gauged status by Instagram, had no problem going into debt in order to bolster the illusion of status, and considered anyone over 50 as irrelevant… I’d make sure to show him the door.

but I think OP is pulling our leg. 

Edited by Darius
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, brilac said:

Frugal people do have nice things.  As a frugal person, I have nice things and live in a nice apartment by myself with a cat, and am very independent.  I get a thrill saving money, budgeting, and making my weekly grocery list.  I don't go into debt having nice things, and the nice things I do have like designer handbags, those were experiences, not spending my day shopping, but being on vacation and buying that handbag, and I did not go into debt.  

I don't care what people think about me and how they perceive me by the way I'm dressed or how I look. I love looking hip, but I don't spend a lot of money on looking hip and I love wearing sunglasses. 

For the ladies coming after you, wouldn't you much prefer dating someone or being in a relationship with someone who likes you for your personality instead of the material things and great restaurants you can take her?  

When I spend money, it is for the experience, not spending my day out shopping.  Great experiences have included day trips down to San Francisco, Montréal for the Playoffs (and I met Guy Lafleur one time and I got a CH haircut another time), spending the day in Victoria, going to London, just to name a few.  And I love Canucks and Habs games!  Of course these experiences were before the pandemic, but I am slowly getting back. 

I completely agree. I'm frugal and proud of it. 

There are things I value in life and things I don't. One thing I really value is recreational activities. Nothing better than doing something with people I adore. One thing I hate are nice clothes. Why spend money on things I just stain?

I've worked in finance long enough to sort through the crap in seconds.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

I am the OP of the thread, people may disagree with my views but please don't undermine my message. The thread underlines the insanity of the concept of FIRE and how the concept aims to "applaud" frugality.

My point is that frugality is one of the worst mind sets to apply in a city like Vancouver. We live in a luxury, prestigious city that is a playground for playboys and rich people who come to enjoy one of the most beautiful cities in the world. This isn't a city for frugal people, that type of mindset won't make you stand out.

In life I quickly learned that looks is the new currency of the 21st century, people who try to deny it or call others "materlistic" are just choosing to not indulge, while people like me continue to indulge. I have a great life, and I have many things while frugal people have basic things, I don't see how you can tell me basic things beat nice things. They don't.

Indulge all you want, just don't go  into debt except for an affordable mortage or car lease/loan. 

Essentially monthly income >= expense. 

Edited by 24K PureCool

12 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Indulge all you want, just don't go  into debt except for an affordable mortage or car lease/loan. 

Essentially monthly income >= expense. 

That's just it though. He thinks he is a playboy and elite...by borrowing money and living in debt :lol:

Like the wizard of oz, an unimpressive let down when you pull back the curtain. 

As you say, mortgage... how will he qualify for a nice home when he owes on this and that?

Maybe that's the materialistic side of me, I am impressed by homes and land. That's when you can feel and live like a king. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

That's just it though. He thinks he is a playboy and elite...by borrowing money and living in debt :lol:

Like the wizard of oz, an unimpressive let down when you pull back the curtain. 

As you say, mortgage... how will he qualify for a nice home when he owes on this and that?

Maybe that's the materialistic side of me, I am impressed by homes and land. That's when you can feel and live like a king. 

its kind of peripheral but the whole movement around right to repair kind of plays into all this too. People are tired of paying too much for crap now too.

I think OP is a troll, but if he's for real he thinks he's Drake but my guess is more this

Tropic Thunder GIF

• Haha 1

I don’t wanna sound like an ass… but in this country, there is no money for successful people. The idea of tax here is to spread the wealth so whatever money you worked your ass of for, in a profession that you excel in, is simply shared with those who sit at home and do nothing. Yea sure, live frugal and buy at value village. What the heck… even doctors and lawyers in Canada are shopping at those places and going into bankruptcy. Only in this country 

On 9/9/2022 at 7:12 PM, CanuckRookieFan said:

What do you do to make your money if you don't mind me asking?

Also I think this a perspective if we are talking simply as a single man trying to attract and retain physically attractive women.

You seem to have been watching a lot of Top G Andrew Tate. 

https://tenor.com/bVGJv.gif 

Edited by Chip Kelly

6 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

There's a ton of tax that's for sure. Direct and indirect.

There is, but read that post again.

I know many successful people that, well are successful. Lots of my family are. They excelled in their professions and have lives of luxury.

And "only in this country?"

Getting tired of that kind of statement. Canada is the best place in the world imo. Of course it could be better. Perhaps though, that poster can go live somewhere else and see how it compares. 

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I know many successful people that, well are successful. Lots of my family are. They excelled in their professions and have lives of luxury.

Getting tired of that kind of statement. Canada is the best place in the world imo. Of course it could be better. Perhaps though, that poster can go live somewhere else and see how it compares. 

I wonder what it would be like to live in The Bahamas?

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Your one sided biased “Best place in this world” comment already makes me wanna laugh. Canada is not a bad place to live, don’t get me wrong. To say this is the best? I don’t think so. Real estate prices alone makes one puke. Vancouver is not New York or Paris or whatever top tier city but an average home costs you a million? Excuse me, who the heck can afford this? Don’t tell me that the high sale tax and income tax are justified. They are not. For anyone making over $100,000 you know how much you are getting taxed. 

Edited by ktcy2

45 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

Your one sided biased “Best place in this world” comment already makes me wanna laugh. Canada is not a bad place to live, don’t get me wrong. To say this is the best? I don’t think so. Real estate prices alone makes one puke. Vancouver is not New York or Paris or whatever top tier city but an average home costs you a million? Excuse me, who the heck can afford this? Don’t tell me that the high sale tax and income tax are justified. They are not. For anyone making over $100,000 you know how much you are getting taxed. 

IMO Vancouver is waay better than Paris or NYC.

Though I did get to perform at CBGB's which was a highlight of my life.

Move to France or America if you want. I think Canada is heads and shoulders above both those countries. 

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

I wonder what it would be like to live in The Bahamas?

Not for me but I know you love the heat. I love the 4 seasons. I'm on 2 acres of waterfront on Van Isl. Paradise to me. 

• Cheers 1