The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Circus in Philadelphia

Rate this topic

50 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

With the salary I'm being paid by the Flyers (that I clearly don't deserve and probably didn't from the beginning), I have no complaints if I'm Kevin Hayes. 

I mean the other way around. Torts original presser he was saying how he thinks Kevin can bring ALOT more. Aka torts is going to ride him till he either turns into the guy torts wants, Or more likely turns against torts lol

54 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

it'll be interesting to see how it unfolds for sure lol

Officially on my radar as a team to watch, this will be a division contender or they’ll go down in flames either way will be great entertainment for the year. 

21 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I love Torts even after his stint here, I didn’t think he did a good job here either feels like he just wasn’t fully committed. And on top of that I think it was the wrong group for him to coach.

But he proved in Columbus when he is fully committed he is still a great coach. 

I kind of felt it was the other way around

Team management didn't buy into Torts so he was left hanging

I thought he was brought in to rid the Canucks of the holiday camp attitude

that is what he was doing

but after one year they reversed course and doubled down on team holiday camp

It was rumoured that the Torts hire came from Aqua, then he cleaned house and sent Gillis out the door too

... "tell me what I want to hear, and definitely sugar coat it"

• Vintage 1

On 9/9/2022 at 2:58 PM, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

One thing I respect about him a lot during his time here, is how he stuck up for the Sedins. 

That whole brawl with CGY ensued because Torts felt like he needed to protect his top guys.

Even when the Sedins retired, I remember him being interviewed about it and saying he was p*ssed off that the Sedins had this image around the league of being "soft" players, when to him it was untrue and even said that they were some of the toughest players he ever coached. 

He does have his faults of course, but at least he isn't a criminal that overlooks sexual misconduct in the locker room (ehem...Quenneville) or a d*ckhead that tries to make teammates hate on one another (ehem...Babcock).

Good ole Torta subs eh ditching practice early to beat traffic to get home to Point Roberts.

He was the right coach at the wrong time he wasn't all in. 

@Tortorella’Rebuild

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Yes, he should have, but FA & co. would have none of that, and the rest is history.

people say that, but I don't know that its really true. I think he would have gone that route if Linden came into the job with that as the main idea. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, JM_ said:

people say that, but I don't know that its really true. I think he would have gone that route if Linden came into the job with that as the main idea. 

Yes, certainly valid points, I guess we can only go by the hyperbole (which I am certainly guilty of) and our own self determination in that matter. We don't really know what went down. 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Linden was not ready for the job, and by his own admission.

He went around the league talking to people, what should I do?

Shoulda kept it in house imo; got to Steamer, his roots, not the opposition.

Regardless of that, rookie Linden, hired rookie Benning, who promoted rookie NHL coach Green = recipe for disaster.

(Another poster pointed that out to us, that rook-to-rook thing about a year ago or so.)

Rudderless organization and owner didn't know how to correct it.

Trev is a great guy, but almost 10 years younger than now, he was President; compare that to JR today.

[GAP]

He should have taken a position similar to what the Sedins are doing, and prove himself there.

Too bad we didn't have a real president at that time to offer him that job.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Yes, certainly valid points, I guess we can only go by the hyperbole (which I am certainly guilty of) and our own self determination in that matter. We don't really know what went down. 

nope and likely never will. 

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

Linden was not ready for the job, and by his own admission.

He went around the league talking to people, what should I do?

Shoulda kept it in house imo; got to Steamer, his roots, not the opposition.

Regardless of that, rookie Linden, hired rookie Benning, who promoted rookie NHL coach Green = recipe for disaster.

(Another poster pointed that out to us, that rook-to-rook thing about a year ago or so.)

Rudderless organization and owner didn't know how to correct it.

Trev is a great guy, but almost 10 years younger than now, he was President; compare that to JR today.

[GAP]

He should have taken a position similar to what the Sedins are doing, and prove himself there.

Too bad we didn't have a real president at that time to offer him that job.

unfortunately there wasn't anyone for him to learn under.... which would have been a great time to tank and learn the job over several years while we were bottom feeders. 

• Upvote 1