The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have the Canucks done enough to fix the "country club" locker room

Rate this topic

Vinny in Vancouver

Have the Canucks done enough to fix the "country club" locker  

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Not sure there's a lot of credibility to this notion. Either JR changed his mind or Kypper was making things up.

One thing we have learned about JR and Allvin is that the media usually has no clue about what they are doing. From the surprising Miller re-signing to the surprising DeKeyser PTO, the media has usually been caught flat-footed. And since Kypreos is among the dimmest of the media talking heads, his comments do not deserve a lot of credibility. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iceman64 said:

That saddens me, was born there but wasn't there very long, it changed a lot over the years.

Downtown was partying folks coming and going from the bars.

Aside from that, it was tame, that I think was in 85, I left for work in Vancouver for years and years and finally a trip over and my mouth dropped.. 

I was like wtf happened to this place, was horrified and disgusted but mostly sad for the folks who hit the rock bottom and just surviving or existing. 

And part of me is livid with our governments response to the problem that THEY created by letting inflated real estate prices drive value through the roof and then taxing and laughing all the way to the bank voting themselves raises etc and getting away with it to the point that the people who need housing the most are last on the list until people started to complain. (Years of it)  and still it's only being done under pressure then they pat themselves on the back for things that should have been done years ago.

It's not only our government that wastes our tax dollars shamelessly, it's every city hall out there. 

Need something to change.. our big 3 parties are worse than absolutely useless!!

The partying still happens, it's just that.. Nanaimo admittedly doesn't have a whole lot of a scene downtown. People still party and float around from place to place but it's got nothing on say.. Victoria or Vancouver. That's my opinion having always lived here but some folks seem to enjoy it. 

I dunno, a lot has happened as Nanaimo's expanded, population was about 61k in 1991, now it's about 100k and likely to continue it's expansion. I was born in 90 and it's changed a lot over the last 15 or 16 years. 

Real estate is absolutely a problem over here, we're getting squeezed over here on the island for lots of reasons. People from all over Canada wanna come here, folks on the mainland were able to sell their places and buy something over here with money left over. Then you've got the provincial wide issue that's been ongoing for years with speculation buyers and folks out of the country buying up land and housing as investments. Still can sell and move over here if you're fortunate enough to have inherited something on the mainland or got in before things got stupid, it's just the numbers have gone up across the board. Hell, houses have more than doubled or tripled within the last three to five years, it's super depressing as someone who doesn't want to leave. 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

21 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It's okay, has some good options, but if you want a better mall you're better off checking out Woodgrove off the main highway 

I will say though that Lucky's at Country Club is probably the best liquor store in Nanaimo for craft beer, it probably has the best liquor selection outside a BC liquor store too 

plus im a big Original Joes guy. an a triple O's in the parking lot now too!

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Luke Schenn!!

You can tell as one of the few guys that is willing to drop the mitts and stand up for his teammates he has a ton of respect from them.

Also just seems like a good down to earth dude. I hope we can can extend him for as long as he wants to keep playing.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You can tell as one of the few guys that is willing to drop the mitts and stand up for his teammates he has a ton of respect from them.

Also just seems like a good down to earth dude. I hope we can can extend him for as long as he wants to keep playing.

A lot of people don't give big tough guys credit for being smart; Luke's the whole package; love that he's ours; wanted him at his draft.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Former Ranger/Toronto homer. I give his opinion of my team a 0/10. 

He spends his time in the Leafs' country club, why talk about this club?  I notice it wasn't long after this that he turned the focus to our team. 

image.png

Well Kypreos isn't that smart to begin with...  more of the lunk head type..

• Upvote 1

As much as I like Horvat, I do wonder if he brings enough intensity, and whether he has become too complacent with losing.  
He plays a strong defensive game, is good on face offs, and is a team player, but sometimes it’s hard to tell whether he’s passionate enough about winning. Maybe it’s partly because he rarely fights, doesn’t hit that much, and doesn’t generally show a lot of emotion one way or another. He might not be a country club player directly, but I wonder if he tolerates it in others and in that sense is a bit of an enabler of a country club atmosphere. I.e. does he ever call out the slackers? 

• Cheers 1

On 9/9/2022 at 8:28 PM, Oregon.Duck said:

Media said we were 100% going to trade Miller to the Islanders. 

At this point until we hear from a player…I’m going to just ignore the media for the most part on things like this. 

Like this? Omfg! You should do that to the media ALL the time, it's all bull$hit clickbait that a LOT of people fall for.

The media said that JT wasn't even worth a 1st round pick and everyone believed it..  now look at them, looking like the idiots they truly are.

19 hours ago, Slegr said:

As much as I like Horvat, I do wonder if he brings enough intensity, and whether he has become too complacent with losing.  
He plays a strong defensive game, is good on face offs, and is a team player, but sometimes it’s hard to tell whether he’s passionate enough about winning. Maybe it’s partly because he rarely fights, doesn’t hit that much, and doesn’t generally show a lot of emotion one way or another. He might not be a country club player directly, but I wonder if he tolerates it in others and in that sense is a bit of an enabler of a country club atmosphere. I.e. does he ever call out the slackers? 

He did Virt.

Smacked him in his huge ass and told him to get Marchanding going.

• Thanks 1

Kypreos is an absolute dummy and he hates the Canucks.

Given that, I have a true incident about Trevor and the Country Club House aka the Canucks Dressing Room back in the day:

It was after a playoff game that we lost and, as usual back then, I was hanging around outside the Colosseum to see the players head for their cars.

Trev came out with his golf clubs over his shoulder; I lost a bit of respect for him, keeping his clubs handy in case we lost; bad form Trev, at least leave them in the car!

And there was the same talk of that atmosphere in our room back then; and later too with the Sedins.

In conclusion, I think KipperSnack was cruising back there in the corroded corridors of his diminished cortex, recalling crap from decades ago.

Dirty Ronny "He's a crotch-watcher" MacLean was always fawning over Kypreos and that little pinhead PJ Stork too, a trio of crapheads.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

Kypreos is an absolute dummy and he hates the Canucks.

Given that, I have a true incident about Trevor and the Country Club House aka the Canucks Dressing Room back in the day:

It was after a playoff game that we lost and, as usual back then, I was hanging around outside the Colosseum to see the players head for their cars.

Trev came out with his golf clubs over his shoulder; I lost a bit of respect for him, keeping his clubs handy in case we lost; bad form Trev, at least leave them in the car!

And there was the same talk of that atmosphere in our room back then; and later too with the Sedins.

In conclusion, I think KipperSnack was cruising back there in the corroded corridors of his diminished cortex, recalling crap from decades ago.

Dirty Ronny "He's a crotch-watcher" MacLean was always fawning over Kypreos and that little pinhead PJ Stork too, a trio of crapheads.

I have NO problem with that.

Trevor did a lot of extra stuff too....I met him on at least 3 different occasions doing community work. He put in his time, I don't for one minute begrudge him for going golfing...could be that he just kept his clubs there, at the rink. These guys take it hard when they lose and if that was a way for him to release that tension, all the power to him.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I have NO problem with that.

Trevor did a lot of extra stuff too....I met him on at least 3 different occasions doing community work. He put in his time, I don't for one minute begrudge him for going golfing...could be that he just kept his clubs there, at the rink. These guys take it hard when they lose and if that was a way for him to release that tension, all the power to him.

I get all that of course Deb.

I was trying too hard I guess, ragged on Kypper, and then meant to cut him a bit of slack by talking about how Trev came out with his golf clubs.

Back in those days, when Gretzky was rippin' us up, Canucks fans put up with a lot of guff from other Vancouverites; and maybe even more so up north, cuz they had gone with a winner and cheered the Oilers as if they were their team (the traitors).

So I got ribbed for Trev and his clubs too, on that score.

Trevor Linden under Pat Quinn was an awesome player and captain and I loved him.

A lot of hockey players are also good golfers and they have the money for it and it is probably a great activity without the pressure of the rink.

Just an old fart here trying to have fun and cheer on the Canucks.

Sorry if it all came across as disrespecting Linden.

Trev could hit.  Separate the man from the puck (and the glass from its frame, lol).

I remember the draft; him and Modano; neck and neck; who's gonna go first?

I think Quinn was happier that Modano (who was a great player in his own right) went first cuz he got his boy.

Trev and Mike Modano went at it that way, neck and neck, their whole careers; MM with more points, Trev with more leadership etc.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this Sunday morning, afternoon, and hope you are too.

(Last time I said I was enjoying a Sunday morning, I was corrected: it was Monday!  But.. the morning anyway.)

Ahh retirement and CDC; perfect.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2