The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where do we get a RHD from? (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

Ok, there have been countless trade proposals where we get a RHD in the deal, yet we are always trading a valuable piece that weakens our forward group. So where do we get our much needed RHD?

Why are we in this dilemma?

1. Trade..........weakens our forward group

2. Draft...........we wait 4 years for him to "possibly" develop

3. UFA............well, usually too expensive, with too much cap hit.

First off, you are not getting a blue chip Dman without trading Pettersson, and even yet, if they are truly blue chip, I don't see the trading team, making that deal. The Makar, Fox's, Seider's of the league, are way too valuable. Which takes me to the next level, which are the undeveloped bluechippers...........Drysdale, Nemec, Jiricek, Clarke type, these guys are great, but will they develop into the Makars, Fox's etc?

Then there is the next step down....Schneider's, Durzi's, Faber's types...........these are players that the trading teams, want as they are young cap controlled, and have potential to be very good young Dmen.

This leads me to the older Dmen, who may be available, but at big trading cost and big cap. Do we want to spend a young asset on a Trouba, Dumba, Piece, Severson, type player, who will be near the end of their contract and wanting a big pay day? Even a player like Mayfield, who is at the end of his contract will want a bump up from his current contract, or will just go to free agency to get his pay day.

There is no easy fix................there is no RHD in the pipeline, and what ever we do to acquire one will cost...............be ready!

I will pose this to you, though.............IMO, we will wait to see how Kuzmenko will do this year, as he is unproven, and if he has done well by christmas, then you will see Alvin pull a big trade, especially if Podkolzin steps it up and Boeser plays to his past abilities.

Right now there are alot of moving parts, and with Horvat not signed, I do not see the Canucks making a move to acquire the needed part.............I would think that what ever player we move, it will not bring in a player of equivalent ability, as RHD are so rare............

I also want to say, that a Hughes, OEL LHD side are as good as any, and we do not need to tinker with that side for 3/4 years.....just leave it! Rathbone is a potential gem, and we should wait to see what we have, as "IF" he shows well, he will be a great addition or a great trading piece, but his value will be in "IF" he develops. Certainly there are potential prospects behind him on the left side that "may" be a good fit at LHD.................which just leads me to that glaring hole on the right side. I truly believe it is 3 ready RHD away from us being a long term contender. That includes prospects as well.

What well does Alvin go to? Where are our strengths, where can we move a player to get what we need and not be too affected by the move?

These are the questions we have tried to answer all summer............

At this point I think we either trade from our strength up front, or try for a waiver claim as some teams (e.g. Carolina/ Jersey) are overloaded with righties.  Next we can play RD who are lefties (and they're out there, e.g. De Haan, Heiskanen, Kulikov, Dermott to name a few).  Drafting one would be optimal since they would be cost controlled and we'd have them in their cheapest years, though we'd have to be bad enough to get them since their stock has risen.  UFA is probably the least viable since they can truly be expensive (e.g., who knows how much Mayfield will go for if Gudbranson gets $4 mil * 4).   

• Thanks 1

@J.I.A.H.N draft is the cheapest way of course, but even Makar took draft + 5 to become current Makar. 

For the Canucks, I don't think we need to be looking for a Makar moon shot, we could do well shooting for a Tanev. A puck moving offensive left side of Hughes, OEL, Rathbone needs to be complimented with a couple of Tanev's or a Tanev and a simple style stay at home type. 

So that I do think we can look at in free agency and trade. UFA options barring extension for next year include Severson, Weegar for top pair, Zub, Mayfield, Holl for 2nd/3rd pair. 

Maybe we get lucky and Filip Johansson is ready after a year in Abby. Or maybe Keeper or Burroughs steps up to fill the 3rd pairing role nicely. 

I also wonder what KHL free agents might want to come here as well in 2023, with three happy Russians here we might be a prime destination for a d man no one has thought of yet. 

Edited by JM_
  • Like 1

Any chance Brady Keeper does something to get a shot? Doubtful, I would think, with Burroughs and then Juulsen next in line on the right side. 

Canucks really need to target a RD (or a couple) at the Draft. This season will be about grit and determination as a team. Forwards will need to be better defensively. Good thing for the Canucks is that they have many options for scoring in the Top 9, and the additions of Lazar, Mikheyev and Joshua will really help too.

• Cheers 2

We have an over abundance of forwards. If we can unload one and add a pick, we can land a 4/5 defenceman from a lesser team. This player could potentially play as a 4 given that he plays on a better team. 

I think for now, they want to see what happens in the waiver wire. That to me is a bit like bottle picking in a dumpster.

imo it will take 2/3 years to fix defense. pick up this year and defensive d-man to play with hughes or be able to take over from schenn next year.  draft one or two and trade for a good one next year if team can afford one. hopefully some draft picks are ready to play in year 3. by year 3,some of our oneros contracts will end.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

@J.I.A.H.N draft is the cheapest way of course, but even Makar took draft + 5 to become current Makar. 

For the Canucks, I don't think we need to be looking for a Makar moon shot, we could do well shooting for a Tanev. A puck moving offensive left side of Hughes, OEL, Rathbone needs to be complimented with a couple of Tanev's or a Tanev and a simple style stay at home type. 

So that I do think we can look at in free agency and trade. UFA options barring extension for next year include Severson, Weegar for top pair, Zub, Mayfield, Holl for 2nd/3rd pair. 

Maybe we get lucky and Filip Johansson is ready after a year in Abby. Or maybe Keeper or Burroughs steps up to fill the 3rd pairing role nicely. 

I also wonder what KHL free agents might want to come here as well in 2023, with three happy Russians here we might be a prime destination for a d man no one has thought of yet. 

Yes, I think we need to be in market for RHD in the draft as well, but I think we are 5 years too late and should have focused on 2017 draft where we spent our valuable 2nd and 3rd round picks (33, 55 and 62 picks on Lind, Gadjovich and DiPietro). Where Timmons (31s OA) and Jokiharju (29th OA) were within easy reach! And that is only the 2017 draft. Each year, we could have easily moved up and took RHD "IF" we actually had them. Spilt milk, I know, but if you look at LA, and NY, they actually concentrated on RHD, and now have an embarrassing riches of the them.

I am probably more upset at our lack of foresight, in the RHD side, than anything else with our team. I would even go as far to say, that we still did not do anything substantual this last draft, which even bothers me more!!!!! 

I do have some hope that Rathbone develops into a bonified potential star this year, as I think we could possibly move him for a RHD of the same age, to a team, like LA, who may see the need of re-distributing their wealth. If not LA, there are others, that may need that same type of player...........

Then when you look at UFA's/RFA's, I don't like the idea of buying/competing for a RHD, that will cost...........wayyyyyyy to friggin much, and will come at the cost of one of our forwards...........as I have been reminded, even friggin Gudbranson cost $4 million plus this year.............Imagine how much Tyler Myers would have cost today! which is why I actually think he has value in trade, although we can not afford to move him, as it would compound the problem (short term) (I do not see Myers as a negative on the Canucks)

I don't know Jim, when you look at it, in its entirety, a Horvat trade, may not be the worst thing, if it brings back a #2/3 RHD and a good 3rd line center with upside, who are cap controlled for 4 or 5 years.

IMO, it will be a scab tearing type trade, which will hurt like hell, until we see the results.................

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

26 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Yes, I think we need to be in market for RHD in the draft as well, but I think we are 5 years too late and should have focused on 2017 draft where we spent our valuable 2nd and 3rd round picks (33, 55 and 62 picks on Lind, Gadjovich and DiPietro). Where Timmons (31s OA) and Jokiharju (29th OA) were within easy reach! And that is only the 2017 draft. Each year, we could have easily moved up and took RHD "IF" we actually had them. Spilt milk, I know, but if you look at LA, and NY, they actually concentrated on RHD, and now have an embarrassing riches of the them.

I am probably more upset at our lack of foresight, in the RHD side, than anything else with our team. I would even go as far to say, that we still did not do anything substantual this last draft, which even bothers me more!!!!! 

I do have some hope that Rathbone develops into a bonified potential star this year, as I think we could possibly move him for a RHD of the same age, to a team, like LA, who may see the need of re-distributing their wealth. If not LA, there are others, that may need that same type of player...........

Then when you look at UFA's/RFA's, I don't like the idea of buying/competing for a RHD, that will cost...........wayyyyyyy to friggin much, and will come at the cost of one of our forwards...........as I have been reminded, even friggin Gudbranson cost $4 million plus this year.............Imagine how much Tyler Myers would have cost today! which is why I actually think he has value in trade, although we can not afford to move him, as it would compound the problem (short term) (I do not see Myers as a negative on the Canucks)

I don't know Jim, when you look at it, in its entirety, a Horvat trade, may not be the worst thing, if it brings back a #2/3 RHD and a good 3rd line center with upside, who are cap controlled for 4 or 5 years.

IMO, it will be a scab tearing type trade, which will hurt like hell, until we see the results.................

I know what you're saying about a Bo trade, but why would Bo get us that if Miller couldn't?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Quinn

This 100% is what to do.  Great D will excel on either side.  The Red army teams (60’s to 80’s) often didn’t even have any right shot players, let alone right shot D.  The great Habs’ teams in the mid 70’s were led by three HHOF left shot D, who pretty much played the whole game.  

Quinn will be our best D (on the right) side we’ve ever had.  OEL - Quinn is a fabulous top pair.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

has to be through trade. outside of #1 Dmen, contending teams build their D-core through trade

Tampa: McDonogh, Sergachev, Cernak all acquired via trade

Colorado: Toews, Girard, Johnson, Manson all acquired via trade

Florida: Montour, Forsling (technically waivers), Chiarot all acquired via trade

Toronto: Muzzin, Girodano Acquired via Trade,

Carolina: Skjei, Bear acquired via trade (add burns and coughlin this season)

Calgary: Hanafin, Zadorov (add weegar this year)

Rangers: Trouba, Fox, Lindgren

Pretty much any contending team as at least 2 Dmen aquired via trade. The Canucks have OEL and Dermott. aquiring one more top 4 dman is their best bet and the best way to do it is via trade. you already have hughes, you dont need another #1. just a coupla #3s. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tampa acquired Cernak via a trade.  The Rangers acquired Trouba via a trade.  So it's possible to get a top 4 RHD via a trade.

Cernak cost Ben Bishop and a 5th.  Trouba cost Neil Pionk and a 1st.

Question is what are we willing to give up to get someone like Cernak or Trouba?

Ding, ding, ding!

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This 100% is what to do.  Great D will excel on either side.  The Red army teams (60’s to 80’s) often didn’t even have any right shot players, let alone right shot D.  The great Habs’ teams in the mid 70’s were led by three HHOF left shot D, who pretty much played the whole game.  

Quinn will be our best D (on the right) side we’ve ever had.  OEL - Quinn is a fabulous top pair.  

Ray Bourque and Scott Niedermeyer played almost their entire careers on the right side even though they both shot left.  They are both hall of famers so it can be done.  I can see Hughes excelling on the right side to be honest as he has the speed and elusiveness to get out of trouble quickly.  If that is the case you can go after a guy like Nicolas Hague to partner with him and who can do all of the dirty work in the defensive zone and in front of the net.  You can then go after Damon Severson to play on the 2nd pairing with OEL and suddenly you have a very good top 4 with Rathbone on the 3rd pairing causing nightmares for the opposition's 4th line...

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1