The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where do we get a RHD from? (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

2 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

You're not wrong. Here are the variables:
- Will Rathbone be able to jump into the top 4? Who knows - could do, but also could end up being a bottom pairing defenseman
- IF he does, will OEL still be good enough in a couple years to still be in the top 4? Hopefully, but not guaranteed

If those two things happen I think we're in good shape, but no doubt, the next couple drafts have to hit a couple quality defenseman prospects.

I will be over the moon, if he can improve his defencive play enough to play even bottom 6. 

• Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I will be over the moon, if he can improve his defencive play enough to play even bottom 6. 

He's already good enough to play on the bottom pairing. Especially if he's sheltered by a stay at home partner.

Remember, bottom pair can be sheltered, he can be given fewer d zone starts, etc etc.

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

He's already good enough to play on the bottom pairing. Especially if he's sheltered by a stay at home partner.

Remember, bottom pair can be sheltered, he can be given fewer d zone starts, etc etc.

Is he?

I think, I can safely say that the same was said last year, and it was very evident, that it was not the case.

I think the jury is still out, on whether he can defend well enough to play on any of the D pairings....

Hopefully you're right, but I'm not sold on it just yet.

16 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I think Burroughs did a more than finbe job on 3rd pairing last year.

I dont recall seeing him get beaten.

Plays the game tough, good mobility and sticks up for his team mates.

I'd like to see him play more this year. It might seem like a possibility now that Hunt is no longer here to take his minutes

Hunt was the left side guy...no more Hunts please (although he did have one good game for us).    Burroughs was just fine as a spare part that worked out.   Same as Lammy and Highmore really.   It would be amazing if one of these guys could come in and cement themselves as part of the team going forward.   Burroughs played with grit.   Not sure he's good enough ... compared him to Steve Staois on a different thread ... kind of has that vibe.   If that's the case then our bottom pairing actually is pretty decent.    At the very least, he's a good extra D to have around.    Poolman is completely unknown commodity still.   He's for sure getting paid to be a regular.   I trust Bruce will play the guys that earn the ice time.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

I would be targeting Jacob Bernard-Docker from OTT right now in a straight up trade for Hogs. Love me some Hoglander but we are stacked at forward now and JBD is a potential top 4 RHD hidden in OTT's system behind quite a few other Dmen. He's 22 years old and ready to start playing as a depth Dman in the NHL. Trade for him now before he gets too much more playing time and his value increases around the league.

Next off season I think we should be aiming to move Myers to create cap space (after paying his signing bonus he will only have $1m in salary owed). This would give us space to make a UFA signing. At this stage my favoured target is Artem Zub. Will be 27 years old next off season, 6'2", 204 lb, plays a physical strong defense-first game, averaged 21 mins/gm last season, excellent on the PK and a good long-term partner for Hughes. The Russian players on our roster will help to draw him into a decent UFA long-term deal somewhere in the $4.0-4.6m range. 

D lineup in 2023:

OEL Myers

Hughes Schenn

Rathbone Dermott

(Burroughs Bernard-Docker)

D lineup in 2024:

Hughes Zub

OEL JBD

Rathbone Schenn

(Dermott Burroughs)

On 9/12/2022 at 1:29 PM, CanucksJay said:

I think Burroughs did a more than finbe job on 3rd pairing last year.

I dont recall seeing him get beaten.

Plays the game tough, good mobility and sticks up for his team mates.

I'd like to see him play more this year. It might seem like a possibility now that Hunt is no longer here to take his minutes

I recall Burroughs being beaten a few times but he battled hard to recover and limit the scoring opportunities. All in all he was a fine bottom pairing defender as long as he is able to stay in his wheel house.

• Cheers 1

On 9/10/2022 at 1:19 PM, Alflives said:

This 100% is what to do.  Great D will excel on either side.  The Red army teams (60’s to 80’s) often didn’t even have any right shot players, let alone right shot D.  The great Habs’ teams in the mid 70’s were led by three HHOF left shot D, who pretty much played the whole game.  

Quinn will be our best D (on the right) side we’ve ever had.  OEL - Quinn is a fabulous top pair.  

Even with this strategy, we could still use a RHD for the second pairing for more depth. If we get injuries, our D is stupid thin compared to the quality of our goaltender and forward group.
I still think a F for D trade is necessary, even if it doesn’t come until next off-season.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the only top RD that could be had is Severson.  NJ would just look for a player swap as they are not looking to take a step back.  Only player I could see them interested in would be Bo which is a pretty tough.  Maybe we could convince them on Garland or Boeser (with some retention) but not sure.