The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The EIHL (Elite League) Thread

UKNuck96

Went to the season opened at the Panthers, got a free drinks voucher on the queen. There was a moving tribute which the crowd broke out into spontaneous applause. Followed by a two minute silence to the queen.

was weird with the anthem being king will have to get used to it.

atmosphere started out rocking with probably about 5000 in attendance. 

earl goal by Guildford Flames quietened the crown for a while. 

Took until the second for the panthers to level only to conceded another goal shortly after. Tied it up later in the second.

Third period Guildford got another go ahead goal and the panthers pulled the goalie with 1 min left. That manage to whack it into the net and flattened the goalie with the clearest interference call you could ever see, however the game was tied and went into OT (with no penalties all game) 

3-3 the panthers scored in about 20 seconds to win.

happy with the win however it was not deserved.

Guildford were strong and fast with good puck control, panthers were playing very defensively and passive on the forecheck. They had three in the blue line, which meant any time they got a turnover in the neutral zone and broke out they were pinned to the sides and when they did get a chance to throw it up the middle there was no one there.

they were also trying to cycle it down low but the Guildford players were just to strong for them and the game defended into panthers playing the boards and being pinned and guilford then turning over and breaking out. 

also the amount of poor control by the panthers on the blue line was way to high, you could tell it was preseason.

also panthers kept trying to play it out from their end and kept getting caught fannying around with the puck. 

overall Guildford look strong but all the goals they conceded were in close against the net and the result probably wasn’t fair for them, Panthers look like they are going to play a euro game this season but they need to work on puck control massively otherwise they are going to absolutely destroyed by Belfast and cardio when they play 

EF11C499-418F-4AD4-B469-8D9F83210B68.jpeg

6 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Went to the season opened at the Panthers, got a free drinks voucher on the queen. There was a moving tribute which the crowd broke out into spontaneous applause. Followed by a two minute silence to the queen.

was weird with the anthem being king will have to get used to it.

atmosphere started out rocking with probably about 5000 in attendance. 

earl goal by Guildford Flames quietened the crown for a while. 

Took until the second for the panthers to level only to conceded another goal shortly after. Tied it up later in the second.

Third period Guildford got another go ahead goal and the panthers pulled the goalie with 1 min left. That manage to whack it into the net and flattened the goalie with the clearest interference call you could ever see, however the game was tied and went into OT (with no penalties all game) 

3-3 the panthers scored in about 20 seconds to win.

happy with the win however it was not deserved.

Guildford were strong and fast with good puck control, panthers were playing very defensively and passive on the forecheck. They had three in the blue line, which meant any time they got a turnover in the neutral zone and broke out they were pinned to the sides and when they did get a chance to throw it up the middle there was no one there.

they were also trying to cycle it down low but the Guildford players were just to strong for them and the game defended into panthers playing the boards and being pinned and guilford then turning over and breaking out. 

also the amount of poor control by the panthers on the blue line was way to high, you could tell it was preseason.

also panthers kept trying to play it out from their end and kept getting caught fannying around with the puck. 

overall Guildford look strong but all the goals they conceded were in close against the net and the result probably wasn’t fair for them, Panthers look like they are going to play a euro game this season but they need to work on puck control massively otherwise they are going to absolutely destroyed by Belfast and cardio when they play 

IMG_0899.MOV IMG_0911.MOV

EF11C499-418F-4AD4-B469-8D9F83210B68.jpeg

Cool stuff. I remember a guy from a beer league I played in, after junior here he went to UK and played several years in the BNL and EPL....said he had a lot of fun there....he also played one season in the EIHL for the Bison (2003-4)

4 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Cool stuff. I remember a guy from a beer league I played in, after junior here he went to UK and played several years in the BNL and EPL....said he had a lot of fun there....he also played one season in the EIHL for the Bison (2003-4)

I watched the league a lot more back then, who was the friend? 

the quality here is no where near top tier even in Europe but it’s average attendance is similar to the ECHL. 

It used to be a bit better with Players like Colin Shields, Peter Aubrey, Ben Storey, Verner etc, there seems now to be a slightly more British focus which has lowered the standard slightly but has meant the national team has been performing better. 

I bet in that year your friend has some stories about playing out of some right dives. 

Edited by UKNuck96

38 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

I watched the league a lot more back then, who was the friend? 

the quality here is no where near top tier even in Europe but it’s average attendance is similar to the ECHL. 

Players like Colin Shields, Peter Aubrey, Ben Storey, Verner etc, there seems now to be a slightly more British focus which has lowered the standard slightly but has meant the national team has been performing better. 

I bet in that year your friend has some stories about playing out of some right dives. 

I recall him saying it was pretty rough in some barns lol. He fought a lot, averaged around 200 PIM every year, and said the pay wasn't great but he got an apartment and a car paid for, and that the ladies really dug him haha.

47 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

I recall him saying it was pretty rough in some barns lol. He fought a lot, averaged around 200 PIM every year, and said the pay wasn't great but he got an apartment and a car paid for, and that the ladies really dug him haha.

In the UK it’s a sport that has more female than male fan attendance. Make of that what you will.

dis your friend play D?

Edited by UKNuck96