The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dakota Joshua | #81 | C/W

Crabcakes

I've been impressed by what he brings so far.  I'd like to see him in the last pre-season game to make sure he can bring it consistently.  With two definite roster players down with injuries at the start of the season it's reasonable to expect him to be on the team on opening night.  Up to him as to whether he sticks after that.

• Cheers 1

On 10/1/2022 at 6:07 AM, dpn1 said:

I know some were not seeing him in Vancouver this season but his size, skating and willingness to mix it up physically makes it impossible for the Canucks to send him down.  B)

I got room on my team for Dakota Joshua.

1 hour ago, RogersTowell said:

I've been impressed by what he brings so far.  I'd like to see him in the last pre-season game to make sure he can bring it consistently.  With two definite roster players down with injuries at the start of the season it's reasonable to expect him to be on the team on opening night.  Up to him as to whether he sticks after that.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

30 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I got room on my team for Dakota Joshua.

Yup!  He's already made the team.  He fills a glaring hole on this roster for sure.

Höglander-Lazar-Joshua against faster skilled teams.

Dickinson-Lazar-Joshua against heavier grittier teams

Lockwood next up.

Best 4th line we've had since 2011.

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Yup!  He's already made the team.  He fills a glaring hole on this roster for sure.

Höglander-Lazar-Joshua against faster skilled teams.

Dickinson-Lazar-Joshua against heavier grittier teams

Lockwood next up.

Best 4th line we've had since 2011.

(*Player X) - Lazar - Joshua for sure, imo.

Don't really want (*) to be Hogz, Dicky, or Woody though.

All three of them are AHL bound, imo.

We're a bit stacked on RW but not so much on LW.

If Podz is RW, then what is the order on LW?

People who put Pearson out as someone to get rid of, might take a look at LW-Canuck.

After Kuz, it's Pearson (if JT and EP are both at center) on the left side, especially if Mikheyev is not ready.

If he is ready, that's L1, 2, and 3 and neither Hogz nor Dickinson are good enough to hold down what 4LW entails.

I want another, shall we say, no-nonsense kind of teammate at 4LW and/or 13th fwd.

• Vintage 1

• -AJ- changed the title to Dakota Joshua | #81 | C
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Joshua 25--6'3 - 215 -- I really like the signing..When he plays very physical and uses his body great things happen.. He can skate good for his sign..Needs to play the that edge more...Great signing like his style..

Much better then,  Gadjovich 24 -6'2-  215 or MacEwen 26 - 6'3 - 215

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, wildcam said:

Joshua 25--6'3 - 215 -- I really like the signing..When he plays very physical and uses his body great things happen.. He can skate good for his size ..Needs to play the that edge more...Great signing like his style..

Much better then,  Gadjovich 24 -6'2-  215 or MacEwen 26 - 6'3 - 215

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, johngould21 said:

I only saw the third period last night, but if this guy could play the game consistently, and like he did from what I saw in the third, he'd be a keeper. 

Joshua definitely shows glimpses that he could be a good middle 6 power forward but then also will disappear for games. It would be great if he could figure out how to maintain that extra gear consistently. He also shows decent hands from time to time.

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

we have different playertypes on the team and im glad we have joshuas physical play. im not sure its the way to go for everyone to play as he does, but if we can combine that type of power with skill and smartness then we got something good moving forward. hats off for joshuas last game....keeep it up and il  enjoy watching him on the ice for sure...:metal:

8 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

we have different playertypes on the team and im glad we have joshuas physical play. im not sure its the way to go for everyone to play as he does, but if we can combine that type of power with skill and smartness then we got something good moving forward. hats off for joshuas last game....keeep it up and il  enjoy watching him on the ice for sure...:metal:

True. Joshua has been one of the real bright spots in this disaster of a season. He's a smart player, who can skate and score, and is more than capable of using his strength and size. Have to give credit to management for signing him. Hopefully they see him as a long term player for the team.

Joshua is producing at the same level he did last year, though over more games and his point distribution has changed, scoring more goals than assists this year. Unsurprisingly though, his shooting percentage is nearly double of last year's rate and probably not sustainable.

Another change in his game is more penalties. Joshua played 42 games for the Blues over his first two seasons and had four minor penalties and three majors (likely all fighting). So far, with Vancouver, he has 46 games, ten minor penalties and four majors. Part of the reason could be due to increased ice time, as his Blues average was 8:37 and he's got about two minutes more per game with Vancouver at 10:36. Even so, it does appear that he is taking more minor penalties than in years past. His penalties drawn has also increased and he's still a net positive player when it comes to penalties drawn vs penalties taken, but to less of a degree compared to when he was in St. Louis.

He's a really interesting player for me to follow and I'm curious as to how his time shapes out. What is his ceiling, I wonder? Could he become a 30-point third liner or is that too much to hope for?

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...

Part of me is curious whether Joshua could be a center at this level.

He mainly played center for the Comets and Thunderbirds at the AHL level but only wing at the NHL level. Would like to see this experimented a bit. I think he has more to show as a player and wonder if playing center could bring that out for a team that is lacking depth in that department. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Part of me is curious whether Joshua could be a center at this level.

He mainly played center for the Comets and Thunderbirds at the AHL level but only wing at the NHL level. Would like to see this experimented a bit. I think he has more to show as a player and wonder if playing center could bring that out for a team that is lacking depth in that department. 

I agree with you. I like Joshua a lot. He brings some snarl that we've been starving for. 

On 3/7/2023 at 8:25 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

Joshua has been excellent. A physical force out there. 

Would be great to find another gem like Joshua 6'3 -210 lbs this summer- gritty , speed need this in tough games and never crosses the line with stupid penalties...

• Cheers 2