The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blues re-sign Jordan Kyrou

28 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Interesting if true, Blues have both Tarasenko and ROR's 7.5M expiring at the end of the season

Wonder which one, or if both, will go

More likely Tarasenko given previous trade rumblings 

Wasn't Tarasenko left unprotected at the expansion draft? Gotta assume they are ok with him leaving.

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

Wasn't Tarasenko left unprotected at the expansion draft? Gotta assume they are ok with him leaving.

He was exposed but that was when he was coming off an injury and a down season if I recall correctly.

He had a pretty big bounce-back season last year so I doubt they'd be as open to losing him for nothing this time. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Great up and coming player for sure. Getting locked up after a breakout year, teams have little to no runway with contention windows these days.

One day you are on your ELC, the next you are making more then Miller money. It’s Crazy but it’s the way players are getting paid these days.

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

He was exposed but that was when he was coming off an injury and a down season if I recall correctly.

He had a pretty big bounce-back season last year so I doubt they'd be as open to losing him for nothing this time. 

Correct, he had 82 points last year and while it would’ve been a gamble for Seattle to take him. He would’ve by been their best player. Blues will get a return for him this TDL if they go that route.

Edited by EP Phone Home

38 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

35 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Yeah, but even with the down year I could see that relationship being a bit more sour than the one with ROR.

Center's are tougher to replace too.

Wouldn't surprise to see Tarasenko go leading up to the deadline, the Blues had what.. eight or nine twenty goal scorers last year? They lead the league.

It'd be a smart way for a team that could contend to restock the cupboards a bit. They won a cup recently, they don't have to go all in and keep him. It's a luxury option though.

Edited by Coconuts

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Wouldn't surprise to see Tarasenko go leading up to the deadline

It'd be a smart way for a team that could contend to restock the cupboards a bit. They won a cup recently, they don't have to go all in and keep him. It's a luxury option though.

This is true.  They'd then have the exact same situation as we had prior to extending Miller.

Who would have both the assets and cap-space to acquire a 30g/80pt player and either extend or rent him?

14 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

This is true.  They'd then have the exact same situation as we had prior to extending Miller.

Who would have both the assets and cap-space to acquire a 30g/80pt player and either extend or rent him?

Not exactly, they've actually won a cup, and recently 

Anaheim probably could but they'd be better off waiting to see if he walks to UFA

If St. Louis retained it'd open the door for a lot of teams, or if they were willing to take cap back which is more likely 

Would probs be more along the lines of a good player+ for a great player than the Blues taking a cap dump though, they want to compete 

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

that was  a pretty big/good gamble by the Blues

and an equally big conservative miss by the Kracken

the Krack could have had Tarasenko and Price

that looks like one hit and one miss for the Kracken

18 minutes ago, rekker said:

Appears that way. Not crazy about that, but business is business. 

At least until the NHL tries to save GM's from themselves again 

Wouldn't be surprised to see another lockout down the road with more division between players 

But moreso between the young top talent and veteran stars who get most of the cap and everyone else in the middle or at the bottom who gets squeezed 

We're seeing good players having to take less or play in other leagues, would be smart of the NHL to try and take advantage of the NHLPA

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

At least until the NHL tries to save GM's from themselves again 

Wouldn't be surprised to see another lockout down the road with more division between players 

But moreso between the young top talent and veteran stars who get most of the cap and everyone else in the middle or at the bottom who gets squeezed 

We're seeing good players having to take less or play in other leagues, would be smart of the NHL to try and take advantage of the NHLPA

Ya I totally see a lockout in the future. Things are getting out of hand…again

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Ya I totally see a lockout in the future. Things are getting out of hand…again

Could see them trying to handcuff second contracts for sure 

And really, the players who aren't high end vets or young top talent absolutely outnumber said players, it's surprising we haven't heard more about infighting during past lockouts

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

For better or worse, the NHL has been moving towards a have/have not league for some time. 

In Colorado for example, the top 5 paid guys make close to 50% of their salary cap - every other player on the roster share the remaining 50%. 

This will likely be even more pronounced next year when Nate Mac probably double his current salary or thereabouts. 

This is a cautionary tale for us as a franchise - if you don't draft/develop players within the organization who can come in and contribute meaningful minutes on ELC, you'll likely never be competitive in this league over a long period.