The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) MTL potentially shopping Gallagher and Edmunson

RWJC

4 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Edmundson is the type of D you want in the playoffs.

I'd love to have him, but I'm guessing the cost will be too high. Just look at what Montreal got for Chiarot last year.

Something around him for Pearson+ would be interesting, cap could work. 

But dollars to donuts I likely wouldn't be interested in giving up what the + would be. Pearson wouldn't be the main piece and they'd likely just flip him anyway. We don't have much in the system and I'm adamantly against giving up 1st and 2nd round picks for at least a few years.

There's a lot to like about him but I still think it's too early to be pushing chips in. 

4 hours ago, gurn said:

This part would HAVE to be looked at, very seriously.

This team has already had it's share of back injured D men.

Buyer beware.

I forgot about his injury, that's definitely a bit of a red flag. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

I heard lotsa guys talkin about OEL for Gallagher 

This only make sense if management is targeting another d-man (like Chychrun for example - but then where do you get the cap room for that and what would it cost us) - otherwise our D will be even more of a liability than they are now. 

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

but why? what role does he fill that we don't already have?

More speed, more aggression… we don’t have enough of that and that is the style of team they have said they want to build.  He is an upgrade, and at the fairly minimal cost with 50% retained a pretty safe risk.

I would be VERY interested to see the effectiveness of a Gallagher-Horvat-Mikheyev line.

A ton of speed, great forechecking, the ability to defend and provide offence.  That would be an elite match up line.  Opposing players couldn’t cheat and would always have to be aware of the two fast wingers being sprung and taking the puck the other way.

If that line could basically keep top opposing lines to a draw… our other two top lines would feast against lesser matchups.

• Cheers 4

41 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

This only make sense if management is targeting another d-man (like Chychrun for example - but then where do you get the cap room for that and what would it cost us) - otherwise our D will be even more of a liability than they are now. 

I don’t get this.  He is a stay at home guy who was a +28 on Montreal a season ago and was their staunchest defender in the regular season and kicked it up a notch as their top guy in a long playoff run.

His uneven defensive play is pretty far in the rear mirror when he was younger.  The concern would be injury recovery, not his profile as a player.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don’t get this.  He is a stay at home guy who was a +28 on Montreal a season ago and was their staunchest defender in the regular season and kicked it up a notch as their top guy in a long playoff run.

His uneven defensive play is pretty far in the rear mirror when he was younger.  The concern would be injury recovery, not his profile as a player.

I was responding to someone who suggested the rumour they heard was OEL for Gallagher.  Nothing to do with Ed. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I too thought Edmunson was great during that playoff run. Question is…can he play on the R side? 

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I too thought Edmunson was great during that playoff run. Question is…can he play on the R side? 

He can… it is in all his scouting reports all the way back.  That is the side he played on in Carolina.

“Throughout my career, I have always seem to be one of the guys that can play on my off-hand side. I feel like I can hit a one-timer pretty well, and it’s worked out. I feel comfortable on either side, obviously more comfortable on my left hand side, but I can always hop around, it’s not a big deal to me.”

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Makes zero sense to send our best overall dman for another forward.  

No, it doesn't, whatsoever. 

Neither does it make any sense for Mtl to trade away a couple vets so younger guys can get more playing time and expect them to take back a guy like Poolman and/or Dickinson/Pearson as was suggested earlier (not by you).