The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Derick Brassard, Michael Dal Colle with Senators

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That whole top 10 in 2014 was something

Dal Colle at 5 OA. Then we took Jake. Yikes. I remember this one, Dal Colle came advertised as having both size and a decent shot....kinda like JV...of course we all know the picks we missed out on in that round.

32 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What's the knock on Dal Colle? Skating? Attitude? Work ethic?

23 minutes ago, Devron said:

Sucks

Apparently he's got a good work ethic, another enigma like JV perhaps, or maybe a victim of a younger prospect pool pushing him out? He was in need of packing on a bit of weight earlier in his career, but still, something must've happened along the way?

Michael Dal Colle: Prospect Profile for New York Islanders' 1st-Round Pick | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Michael Dal Colle did not receive a qualifying offer (eyesonisles.com)

One of a handful of intriguing setup men available in this year's draft, Dal Colle is recognized as one of the best puck handlers around. He's able to lose defenders with his agility and puck control, and that's just the start.

Shawn Reznik from TheHockeyWriters.com describes the center this way:

Dal Colle is a rangy, gifted center with hands that can dangle in a phone booth. He dazzles with the puck on his stick and can weave through defenses with ease. Given his stickhandling ability, Dal Colle is also one of the premier set-up men available. He knows where his teammates are at all times and passes with precision. His skill also comes with a mesmerizing wrist shot that he isn’t afraid to use. His wrister is fast, accurate, and deadly. And although he doesn't use his slap shot as often, that too is lethal for opposing goalies.

TheScoutingReport.com echoed Reznik's words on Dal Colle's ability to control the puck while in traffic. They write:

The 6-foot-2 forward is capable of playing both centre and the wing and possesses impressive puck protection skills and offensive zone creativity that project well on his ability to be a big-time producer at the next level.... his elusiveness, stickhandling ability, and long reach create matchup problems for any OHL defenseman.

If Sam Reinhart is the smartest player available in the draft, then Dal Colle might have the best set of mitts.

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Cheers 1

At least Virtanen turned out to be an NHL'er, likely still could be in a 3rd/4th line role. Obviously we wanted more but 300+ games is nothing to sneeze at, could very well play more too. Dal Colle on the other hand, he's only broken 100 and hasn't shown much over that time. 

Brassard hasn't done much since his last stint in Ottawa, one season with the Islanders aside, but he's not a bad depth guy to have. 

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

At least Virtanen turned out to be an NHL'er, likely still could be in a 3rd/4th line role. Obviously we wanted more but 300+ games is nothing to sneeze at, could very well play more too. Dal Colle on the other hand, he's only broken 100 and hasn't shown much over that time. 

Brassard hasn't done much since his last stint in Ottawa, one season with the Islanders aside, but he's not a bad depth guy to have. 

I STILL like JV, I'd actually be down for giving him another kick at the can. He was/is much better than Dal Colle.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

I STILL like JV, I'd actually be down for giving him another kick at the can. He was/is much better than Dal Colle.

I don't have an issue with him, in the eyes of the law he's been cleared. Now, I get that what he was accused of is hard to prove but I don't know any better than the folks who were involved so I'm not gonna waste my time. Kangaroo court doesn't do anything but waste time. 

I still think he'll catch on somewhere, if not this season than next. He still brings a lot hockey-wise. Big body he'd likely be motivated to use, blazing speed, has demonstrated the ability to provide complimentary offense in the past. Factor all that in with the fact that his ego's probably taken a hit the last year and a half and you've probably got a player who'd be very motivated to try and stick in the NHL. On the cheap no less. He's good enough and brings enough to catch on somewhere, it's just a matter of whether he's given that chance or not.

Personally I hope he gets it, I don't see the need for him to fail going forward and I wouldn't take any gratification from him doing so. I'm not a big Virtanen fan or anything either. 

Dal Colle would be an interesting minor depth addition to replace Bailey/Rempal/Petan in Abbotsford's top-6 and as a call-up, and Lockwood in the top-9 if he makes the team. I know Karlsson and Aman will do some of that work, but the team could use one more guy probably. Dal Colle can play C or W at the AHL level, and would bring some missing size into Abbotsford's top 6, esp. compared to last year. and is more exp. with NA ice.

Makes sense he gets a chance with DJ Smith tho - placed his unreal OHL days under him. I wouldn't be surprised if Ottawa follows through with a contract if he has a decent camp.

• 3 weeks later...