The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Blake Wheeler no longer captain of the Jets

Rate this topic

41 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

In before @SilentSam suggests we make Miller our new captain :P

It’s a strategy change for Winnipeg,  Bowness may had suggested it himself,.  Perhaps adopted from his time here.

Winnipeg imploded at a time they should have  done far better than they did..

Losing Byfuglien was huge, perhaps reflective of more management problems than personal.

Time for a rebuild there …

Scheifle for Horvat. ;) :P

.. perhaps they could use Bo’s experience in this type of Leadership?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

It’s a strategy change for Winnipeg,  Bowness may had suggested it himself,.  Perhaps adopted from his time here.

Winnipeg imploded at a time they should have  done far better than they did..

Losing Byfuglien was huge, perhaps reflective of more management problems than personal.

Time for a rebuild there …

Scheifle for Horvat. ;) :P

.. perhaps they could use Bo’s experience in this type of Leadership?

Miller is probably the only leader that can fix the Peg's dressing room ;)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Horrible choice as captain to begin with.

Scheifele is that teams leader.

Word around the campfire is that Scheifele is part of the problem and contributes in his own way to Winnipeg's toxic culture. Neither look to be ideal leaders for a team.

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

2 years ago it was all Kanes fault lol,.

Winnipeg, Buffalo and San Jose.  Kane infiltrated all of them and made them bottom feeders.

Oh wait, they are all still garbage anyways...   :lol:

Meanwhile the team he is actually playing for now went all the way to the Stanley Cup semi finals, with Kane being their leading goal scorer.  Go figure...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

4 hours ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Just read Scheifele's interview today, and my summary of it is that "this move sucks for Blake, and we will need to support him". I can't imagine Blake Wheeler staying much longer.

How much longer do you expect him to play? He’s 36 years old and has one more year left on his contract, after this season. If I had to guess, they’ll probably buyout his final year of his contract. 

Edited by shiznak

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

How much longer do you expect him to play? He’s 36 years old and has one more year left on his contract, after this season. If I had to guess, they’ll probably buyout his final year of his contract. 

Last year, he put up 60 points in 65 games. Imho, there will be some interested teams in him despite his contract.

• Cheers 2

On 9/16/2022 at 10:12 AM, Fanuck said:

Exactly, do you want someone who, in the heat of battle, will put his own selfish interests, ahead of the team?  That game vs. Mtl was over, yet his actions cost his entire team the series essentially.  

OTOH, obviously he's passionate and hates to lose, which are qualities you want in a leader, so there's that. 

Yep.  Just gotta try not to cross the line.  I don't watch the Jets enough to know if he goes overboard too often, but the images of his post-hit reaction that game are burned into my brain, so it is hard for me to see him in a better light.

21 hours ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Last year, he put up 60 points in 65 games. Imho, there will be some interested teams in him despite his contract.

Nothing to do with points. 

It all comes down to if he wants to go through another rigorous off-season training, at the age of 37. He missed a ton of game the last three seasons, and has dealt with concussion issues. If the Jets indeed buyout his last year of his contract. I think he’ll lean towards retirement.

Group assistant captains never seem to work - when was the last time a team like this had success let alone won a Cup?

The Jets are a hot mess right now, especially in the locker room and they're trying everything they can to become a decent team again. I think Bowness may make them better though.