The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Unpopular opinion: Don't need top 10 defense to make the playoffs

Rate this topic

CanuckRookieFan

Not sure if people are aware (assuming you all do) but Canucks currently have a top 5 forward group and a top 5 goalie. Just this combination alone should get you in a playoffs, regardless if your d is bottom 5. 

Key here is you can rely on Demko enough and produce enough offense to make games winnable. There is no excuse to not have a top 5 / top 5 in categories and not excel, defense is a luxury it is not a necessity as offense > defense in modern speed heavy NHL.

Canucks should be heavily weighted to make the playoffs with a top goalie and top forward group, thoughts?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Not sure if people are aware (assuming you all do) but Canucks currently have a top 5 forward group and a top 5 goalie. Just this combination alone should get you in a playoffs, regardless if your d is bottom 5. 

Key here is you can rely on Demko enough and produce enough offense to make games winnable. There is no excuse to not have a top 5 / top 5 in categories and not excel, defense is a luxury it is not a necessity as offense > defense in modern speed heavy NHL.

Canucks should be heavily weighted to make the playoffs with a top goalie and top forward group, thoughts?

That's playing with fire IMO, of course teams like the Penguins (with Fleury) and Kings (with Quick) have won by riding a hot goalie and enough scoring to win.  I have faith that Demko could be that guy (he sure showed it against Vegas) but it'd be best if we don't rely on that (he stood on his head to even give us a chance, but against shutdown teams, even scorers can dry up offensively).  I also think that the keys here would be strong transitional play from the defense to get the puck up to the forwards to generate offense, enough toughness where called upon, and (presuming OEL and Hughes are the #1 pair) Myers and whoever he's with not getting caved in and bleeding up scoring chances.  If we can get the puck out so the offensive guys can produce or at least move the puck down the ice, that already helps with the defense (as does having defensive/ two-way forwards like Lazar/ Mikheyev/ Dickinson/ Pearson).

Edited by Phil_314

2 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

That's playing with fire IMO, of course teams like the Penguins (with Fleury) and Kings (with Quick) have won by riding a hot goalie and enough scoring to win.  I have faith that Demko could be that guy (he sure showed it against Vegas) but it'd be best if we don't rely on that (he stood on his head to even give us a chance, but against shutdown teams, even scorers can dry up offensively).  I also think that the keys here would be strong transitional play from the defense to get the puck up to the forwards to generate offense, enough toughness where called upon, and (presuming OEL and Hughes are the #1 pair) Myers and whoever he's with not getting caved in and bleeding up scoring chances.

Kings were a defensively structured team.

• Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, dr.naughtypants said:

I don't think the defence is going to be that big a problem. Despite the continued frustration that pops up with fans, we have all the elements that make for a well rounded defence core. 

Yes it could be improved, but there's no need to panic.

There is only 1 right handed defensemen that should play 82 NHL games.

10 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

There is only 1 right handed defensemen that should play 82 NHL games.

Schenn and Myers are righties. I think Boudreau might be able to better utilize another natural right hander in Poolman. Dermott can play both sides. That's a decent group to start the season with.

4 minutes ago, dr.naughtypants said:

Schenn and Myers are righties. I think Boudreau might be able to better utilize another natural right hander in Poolman. Dermott can play both sides. That's a decent group to start the season with.

No it’s terrible which is why Hughes might switch sides.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Kuzy said:

Hughes.

I will put Hughes there with Carlson for the Caps win.  but not currently any sort of HoF guy.

Yet.

But he's not defensively sound enough yet to be in the same conversation with those cup winning #1s.

Now THAT is an unpopular opinion 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

I will put Hughes there with Carlson for the Caps win.  but not currently any sort of HoF guy.

Yet.

But he's not defensively sound enough yet to be in the same conversation with those cup winning #1s.

I think Hughes was arguably above average defensively last year not to mention a total stud offensively. He's slowly rounding into a complete player.

Agreed though the jury is still out as to what his actual ceiling is as he's still so young... although HHOF inductee Quinn Hughes has a nice ring to it ^_^

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Yet.

I LOVE Hughes but question whether or not he could hold up for 4 rounds in a stud role.

You need grindy minutes from your top d.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1