The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Rangers trade Nils Lundkvist to Stars for conditional 2023 1st-round pick, conditional 2025 4th-round pick

On 9/21/2022 at 3:02 PM, ilduce39 said:

I’m not sure it’s just “Canuck fans” but fans in general overvalue their own prospects while simultaneously overvaluing any and all futures.  “Canuck fans” on other platforms paradoxically overvalue individual prospects while crapping on the overall prospect pool. 

I’d say people (at least me) are balking at Lundkvist’s price because he obviously wanted out - and there was the possibility of a deal.  Colour that with the fact he’s a bit redundant on our team and that’s that.  Not a piece worth overspending on.

On this board, 90% of the trade proposals and expected return on players are unrealistic. 

• Cheers 1

It'll be interesting to see if this trade impacts the trade market going forward, Lundqvist hasn't even shown anything at the NHL level yet. One could write it off as a team overpaying but I don't think it'll be quite as simple as that. 

Dallas doesn't have much of anything on their right side at the NHL level or in their prospect pool and it could be argued that all they've done is skip over 2-3 seasons of development time. Like him or not, Lundqvist is a good prospect so there may be some merit to that argument. But if that's the price for a player who hasn't yet shown much at the NHL level I can only imagine what the price is for actual top 4RD. Particularly the high end, young established sort that folks around here like to daydream about poaching from other teams. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Thread bump gotta think the Stars wish they used this pick on somebody that could actually help them in the playoffs this year. I wouldn’t be so invested in the player if so many people on this board wanted this guy as part of a return in a JT Miller trade. Still happy we didn’t make that trade Lundkvist is a small bottom pairing RHD that is average at providing offence and subpar on playing defence. Chytil had a better year but he’s a Center that doesn’t win faceoffs will max out at a 40-50 point winger which we’re trying to move 2 of those right now.

• Vintage 1

On 5/21/2023 at 3:53 PM, flickyoursedin said:

Thread bump gotta think the Stars wish they used this pick on somebody that could actually help them in the playoffs this year. I wouldn’t be so invested in the player if so many people on this board wanted this guy as part of a return in a JT Miller trade. Still happy we didn’t make that trade Lundkvist is a small bottom pairing RHD that is average at providing offence and subpar on playing defence. Chytil had a better year but he’s a Center that doesn’t win faceoffs will max out at a 40-50 point winger which we’re trying to move 2 of those right now.

Not so sure, Dallas doesn't have much in the system in terms of RD on their roster or in the system. It's Heiksanen followed by Miller and Hakanpaa and both of the latter are in their early 30's and pending UFA's. Their top RD prospect is probably Kyrou and he's 19. Lundqvist is still young and is likely an NHL'er, it's still a bit early to judge this trade regardless of Dallas's current playoff predicament. 

If Dallas's goal was to get younger on RD they were likely always going to have to do it via trade, you don't get young RD via UFA. Hard to say what the trade options were for young RD at the time, 1st round pick or not.