The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Rangers trade Nils Lundkvist to Stars for conditional 2023 1st-round pick, conditional 2025 4th-round pick

Whoaa.... crazy price there.  

He has some decent upside, but there will be better players on waivers by the end of camp who will help more in the short term.

Can we trade Hoglander for a 1st round pick now?  I wouldn't have given him up in a 1 for 1 for Lundqvist as he has proven more.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2

Let's not forget Lundkivst had one of the best U20 and U21 seasons in the SHL at 19 and 20 years old. That's huge value towards his development as a prospect.

He had a tough transition year, but we don't know a lot about his deployment in the AHL (his NHL deployment wasn't great, understandably with how strong NYR is on the right side).

Dallas is banking on his upside, a risk they can take in their position.

He may have gotten more value than expected, but it's not like he's not an A level prospect. NYR had a high price and they got great value for him.

• Cheers 1

With Seguin and Benn getting older, and previous issues between them and mgmt/coaching, I think this is evidence that DAL is about to transition and wants to bring in youth now in an effort to adjust/rebuild on the fly while riding out the vets they currently have.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’m glad he’s off the market at the very least. I wouldn’t have been happy with a Hoglander for Lundqvist trade let alone a 1st for him.

I think this just shows the market for right shot D is just too pricey right now. Best to get Bear for cheap if we can, sign Stralman to a PTO, or just stand pat with what we have.

We should just pluck De Haan IMO.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Trade] Rangers trade Nils Lundkvist to Stars for conditional 2023 1st-round pick, conditional 2025 5th-round pick
19 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Let's not forget Lundkivst had one of the best U20 and U21 seasons in the SHL at 19 and 20 years old. That's huge value towards his development as a prospect.

He had a tough transition year, but we don't know a lot about his deployment in the AHL (his NHL deployment wasn't great, understandably with how strong NYR is on the right side).

Dallas is banking on his upside, a risk they can take in their position.

He may have gotten more value than expected, but it's not like he's not an A level prospect. NYR had a high price and they got great value for him.

He was an A level prospect. Now he’s a project with questionable character.

Regardless of the hype surrounding him there’s no way he should have fetched a first. This reeks of desperation for a team who lost a top 4 D and is trying to stay relevant.

Edited by DeNiro

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Trade] Rangers trade Nils Lundkvist to Stars for conditional 2023 1st-round pick, conditional 2025 4th-round pick
3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He was an A level prospect. Now he’s a project with questionable character.

Regardless of the hype surrounding him there’s no way he should have fetched a first. This reeks of desperation for a team who lost a top 4 D and is trying to stay relevant.

How does one year turn a A level prospect to a project? Lol

I'm not saying he's a guaranteed top pair guy but that's such a hyperbole.

He still has a high ceiling.

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Boy is that an overpayment. 

I mean even if he becomes a 2nd pair 30 point guy (which I think is his absolute ceiling) a first round pick is probably the most you would pay.

This is a real gamble by the stars. And kind of a pointless one at that.

4 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

How does one year turn a A level prospect to a project? Lol

I'm not saying he's a guaranteed top pair guy but that's such a hyperbole.

He still has a high ceiling.

Because he got beaten out for a roster spot and is now refusing to go to camp…:lol: The project is managing his attitude. What if he gets beaten out in camp again? What are the chances he doesn’t just go back to Sweden?

How often do players in that scenario go on to be successful NHL players?

Don’t act like a big part of this guys shine hasn’t worn off. New York wouldn’t have been looking to dump him last season if it hadn’t.

Edited by DeNiro

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Because he got beaten out for a roster spot and is now refusing to go to camp…:lol: The project is managing his attitude. What if he gets beaten out in camp again? What are the chances he doesn’t just go back to Sweden?

How often do players in that scenario go on to be successful NHL players?

Don’t act like a big part of this guys shine hasn’t worn off. New York wouldn’t have been looking to dump him last season if it hadn’t.

NYR has 3 top pair caliber RHD.. that's very tough to beat out for most of the league to be fair.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1