The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Rangers trade Nils Lundkvist to Stars for conditional 2023 1st-round pick, conditional 2025 4th-round pick

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

NYR is one of the few teams in the league loaded down the right side, it baffles me that people see Lundqvist asking out so that he'd have a better opportunity elsewhere as some sort of black mark on his character. He was never going to get powerplay time ahead of Fox and Trouba in New York. The Rangers seem to like Schneider better as a third pairing option. What's he gonna do? Languish in the minors forever? Pro careers are fleeting, sometimes you've gotta look out for yourself. 

People like to dump on players for asking out but realistically they're looking out for their best interests the way most people do. Only difference is he's got the potential to make a helluva lot more than the rest of us. 

Except the Rangers have been trying to trade him for awhile with no serious offers.

No need for his agent to publicly say he wouldn’t be going to camp if he wasn’t traded. The Rangers were already working on a trade.

Yes he has to do what’s best for him, some things can be kept behind closed doors though.

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

That's a really big return for someone who hasn't proven anything in the NHL yet and who demanded a trade!

I mean if you were Nill looking at your depth chart you’d probably be desperate too.

This was a reaction to losing Klingberg plain a simple. The team was gonna fall on its face if they didn’t address their D. Still might.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

That's a really big return for someone who hasn't proven anything in the NHL yet and who demanded a trade!

To be fair, 100% of any 1st round draft picks at that time haven’t proved anything in the NHL either. There is no guarantee.

what can be said about NL though is that he may actually be an NHL roster player if not for significant young depth ahead of him. Just because it hasn’t worked out in NYR, doesn’t mean it won’t work for him elsewhere given valuable/meaningful ice time and a decent D partner to work with 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Except the Rangers have been trying to trade him for awhile with no serious offers.

No need for his agent to publicly say he wouldn’t be going to camp if he wasn’t traded. The Rangers were already working on a trade.

Yes he has to do what’s best for him, some things can be kept behind closed doors though.

Have they been for a while? Or is that just what's been speculated? Because they clearly had a serious offer on the table and took it. I figure what's more likely is their position shifted more recently. But neither of us know for sure. 

If that's your preference I can respect that, but I don't have an issue with players utilizing the media. You see it every year between teams and their pending UFA's. Different negotiations, sure, but both sides still use it. Agents, GM's, players, all parties utilize the media to varying degrees. 

I am glad that it wasn’t us. The kid still has some potential and I can almost understand why the Stars made this move given their current situation, but oof a first and a fourth/ conditional third for a very unproven D man. The market is tough for RHD so I will just say it again…glad it wasn’t us that laid this price. 

45 minutes ago, Kubrick said:

What a steal for NYR.

Gotta think they’ll use at 1st at the deadline for a push in the playoffs.

Well they had better pay attention to where Dallas is in the standings.  They are a team primed for a nosedive in my mind.  That 1st could easily be an unprotected 2024 ticket that ends up with some decent lottery odds.

• Cheers 3

Before this was announced I was just thinking “maybe we should offer a 2nd for him” but then I waffled because it’s a deep draft and that 2nd might be more useful at the deadline or something.  

I’m not a scout so maybe Dallas is onto something… but a 1st+ seems waaaaaay too high.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Amebushi said:

I am glad that it wasn’t us. The kid still has some potential and I can almost understand why the Stars made this move given their current situation, but oof a first and a fourth/ conditional third for a very unproven D man. The market is tough for RHD so I will just say it again…glad it wasn’t us that laid this price. 

And this is why I take the people who think we can seriously fix our D sooner than later with a grain of salt. There are way too many teams willing to pay that much more than what our fans would like to see us pay.

• Cheers 3