The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I know we don’t want D men all playing their off sides but can Myers play left side?

Has he been paired with Schenn at all? That might be a pair that works. Schenn plays a simple game that might complement Myers when he tries to channel his inner Bobby Orr.

OEL Hughes

Myers Schenn

Rathbone Dermott/Poolman

For some reason I feel better with that top 4 even with guys being on their off sides.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

the same basic systems, for sure.  Green wanted his players to be aggressive, and we certainly saw that in the bubble playoffs, but the players tuned him out and stopped playing hard for him.

Did he though? certainly didn't seem that way to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I know we don’t want D men all playing their off sides but can Myers play left side?

Has he been paired with Schenn at all? That might be a pair that works. Schenn plays a simple game that might complement Myers when he tries to channel his inner Bobby Orr.

OEL Hughes

Myers Schenn

Rathbone Dermott/Poolman

For some reason I feel better with that top 4 even with guys being on their off sides.

I always loved playing my off side, both on fwd and on D.  I'm suprised they don't do it more at the NHL level

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

BB plays a collapse system in the dzone as well, they just do a better job of executing under BB than they did under TG.  

Giving up the blue line is indictive of poor execution, rather than a systemic issue.  Under TG players simply stopped backchecking, which means the dmen absolutely cannot be aggressive at the blueline.   Under BB, they were back to consistent back check, which frees the dmen up to be be aggressive at the bline.

Again, execution, not systems 

There's so many different issues you are throwing around. You're saying it's the lack of execution not systems. I disagree that the systems are the same but where does lack of execution come from? Is that on the player or the coach? 

To me, it sounds like you are putting the fault on the players saying they didn't back check under Green which is why the defense couldn't pressure up ice. You are saying there was Nothing wrong with Green's system (as it's the same deployed by BB but there was a lack of execution for whatever reason and Green lost the room... 

I don't agree that the players didn't back check (minus miller at some moments). I think the players have back checked all year. The decision to have the D move up ice and defend up ice rather than giving  up the zone is a coaching issue. 

What exactly is "systems" anyway? I think most of us can agree that coaching was the issue last year. 

Is "system" simply a 2-1-2 or diamond PK or are there more nuances like 2 forecheckers commit 100% and go in full speed, defenders move up and jam the opposing forwards on the o side of the neutral zone? 

To me, the Canucks played very different hockey TG vs BB. I don't think that the difference in how they played can simply be attributed to better back checking and more effort. 

If there was a lack of effort, we would have heard about it. I think the whole country club atmosphere myth was debunked. 

Isn't it funny that we now have a great leadership team group and the only changes occurred within the staff not the players? 

That pretty much tells me the smart hockey ppl in place identified the problem with the team. It wasn't the players. I would say, TG and the coaching staff didn't execute. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

OEL Hughes

Myers Schenn

Rathbone Dermott/Poolman

Myers should be playing forward because we don't want him anywhere near our goal line - and definitely not behind it. 

Skates like a fork..
plays like a stork...

spacer.png

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

the same basic systems, for sure.  Green wanted his players to be aggressive, and we certainly saw that in the bubble playoffs, but the players tuned him out and stopped playing hard for him.

LOL TG had the team go into a turtle shell against Vegas. Basically, the strategy was zone up on D and get in the shooting lanes and lean on Demko. 

Throughout last year you defended Green and said that was the strategy and called it "high event hockey" 

That sounds very contradictory to what you are saying now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I always loved playing my off side, both on fwd and on D.  I'm suprised they don't do it more at the NHL level

You need to have good hockey sense to do it. Not sure if Myers qualifies for that. :lol:

Im just not crazy about penciling in Dermott in the top 4. Maybe once and awhile he plays there but I trust Schenn in that role more as he’s consistently played there.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

LOL TG had the team go into a turtle shell against Vegas. Basically, the strategy was zone up on D and get in the shooting lanes and lean on Demko. 

Throughout last year you defended Green and said that was the strategy and called it "high event hockey" 

That sounds very contradictory to what you are saying now. 

Travis Green was always slow to adjust his lines and switch them up when the game, or even a certain shift alteration from the opposing coach, called for it.

3 minutes ago, fecklund said:

Myers should be playing forward because we don't want him anywhere near our goal line - and definitely not behind it. 

Skates like a fork..
plays like a stork...

spacer.png

Be that as it may he’s our best option for the second pair.

They need him playing within his limits, I feel like Green might have given him too much leash.

He’s best when he’s not trying to do too much. Any time he goes past the face off circles in the offensive zone you know it’s gonna end badly…

Just now, DeNiro said:

Be that as it may he’s our best option for the second pair.

They need him playing within his limits, I feel like Green might have given him too much leash.

He’s best when he’s not trying to do too much. Any time he goes past the face off circles in the offensive zone you know it’s gonna end badly…

At times you wish he was 6'8" WIDE, not tall. 
He did clean up his game somewhat after Bruce arrived so I'm curious to see how that influence works out over (possibly) an entire season. 
I can imagine how frustrated Jim and Patty are with these anchor contracts back there... dear Lord.. I'd be going nuts trying to fix it. 

13 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

There's so many different issues you are throwing around. You're saying it's the lack of execution not systems. I disagree that the systems are the same but where does lack of execution come from? Is that on the player or the coach? 

To me, it sounds like you are putting the fault on the players saying they didn't back check under Green which is why the defense couldn't pressure up ice. You are saying there was Nothing wrong with Green's system (as it's the same deployed by BB but there was a lack of execution for whatever reason and Green lost the room... 

I don't agree that the players didn't back check (minus miller at some moments). I think the players have back checked all year. The decision to have the D move up ice and defend up ice rather than giving  up the zone is a coaching issue. 

What exactly is "systems" anyway? I think most of us can agree that coaching was the issue last year. 

Is "system" simply a 2-1-2 or diamond PK or are there more nuances like 2 forecheckers commit 100% and go in full speed, defenders move up and jam the opposing forwards on the o side of the neutral zone? 

To me, the Canucks played very different hockey TG vs BB. I don't think that the difference in how they played can simply be attributed to better back checking and more effort. 

If there was a lack of effort, we would have heard about it. I think the whole country club atmosphere myth was debunked. 

Isn't it funny that we now have a great leadership team group and the only changes occurred within the staff not the players? 

That pretty much tells me the smart hockey ppl in place identified the problem with the team. It wasn't the players. I would say, TG and the coaching staff didn't execute. 

It's on both, imo.  When a coach loses the room, it can be for a variety of reasons, but ultimately the coach has to find a way to adjust.  TG didn't and it cost him his job.

As far as systems go, TG used systems employed by a good chunk of coaches in the league.....there was nothing out of the ordinary other than the players tuned him and execution went out the window

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

From what I understand the hardest part fo

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

OEL Hughes

Myers Schenn

Rathbone Dermott/Poolman

I could see Schenn playing left side and Myers on the right work out

with Schenn being a meat and potatoes dman there is less to translate and as others have pointed out Myers has a tendency to get lost (though CDC exaggerates it) when he is trying to so too much

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"It's about taking that next step." Captain Bo Horvat and netminder Thatcher Demko meet with the media in advance of heading to Whistler for training camp.

Who produces these videos?

Do they know how to balance the mike feeds.

You can't hear the questions without disturbing the neighbours when the answers come blasting in.

It's been like this for years, and years, and years...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Wanless said:

with Schenn being a meat and potatoes dman there is less to translate and as others have pointed out Myers has a tendency to get lost (though CDC exaggerates it) when he is trying to so too much

The one big spot that causes issues is keeping pucks in at the offensive blue line.  As a RHD on the left side, I have to be on my backhand and my back to the middle of the ice.  

4 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Who produces these videos?

Do they know how to balance the mike feeds.

You can't hear the questions without disturbing the neighbours when the answers come blasting in.

It's been like this for years, and years, and years...

That's what I commented on. They say "live and learn" but it's worse then ever if this morning is any indication. Oh well; suppose it's preseason for everyone...

19 minutes ago, Wanless said:

If Rathbone steps into the line up I would like to see Schenn as his partner. Best positioning RD as well as muscle to allow Rathbone to use his skillset. Similar to how he worked out for Hughes.

OEL Hughes

Dermott Myers

Rathbone Schenn

Poolman steps in on the left side with Schenn if Rathbone sits.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

BB plays a collapse system in the dzone as well, they just do a better job of executing under BB than they did under TG.  

Giving up the blue line is indictive of poor execution, rather than a systemic issue.  Under TG players simply stopped backchecking, which means the dmen absolutely cannot be aggressive at the blueline.   Under BB, they were back to consistent back check, which frees the dmen up to be be aggressive at the bline.

Again, execution, not systems 

It's systems when the coach instructs his team to tighten things up in the neutral zone and attack the puck at the opposition blue line vs collapsing into the defensive zone.  Giving up the blueline 9 times out of 10 means the opposition is flying through the neutral zone with speed (which only happens if there is no neutral zone pressure), and therefore they can't shut things down at the blue line.  Have you  just started watching hockey? lol!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1