The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, combover said:

Pearson top 3.ha , he’s a third liner on his good days. 
No way horvat resigns if he’s pencilled as a third line Center  i can hear his agent now asking for a trade.
A guy in his prime on a contract a year after career best goals best face-off man on the team rewarded with a demotion. 

Telling Bo he’s the third line Center is the same as telling him 
To  not resign and to ask for a trade. 

Numbered lines are fodder for fans and the media.

I bet in that room the top 3 are interchangeable top lines. 1 a 1b 1c or they just collectively call themselves the top 9.

Or they don't care at all they just want to win hockey games.

His agent might use it as leverage but Bo is a smart guy and he knows he's the centre on the match up line. I'm sure he relishes that role

• Cheers 4

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

To me the biggest battle is Hoglander vs Kuzmenko.

I hate that everyone is penciling Hogs outside the lineup/in Abbotsford, he can create offense & has that honey badger element. And clearly this regime hasn't seen Hogs at his best. (Which worries me tbh)

Obviously there's a ton of depth, & Kuzmenko needs opportunity to establish himself, but Hogs has alot of talent/ability too let's not have that go by the wayside.

why rush him tho? if he can become a better overall player why is that a problem? he's not a tweener he's still quite young. I'd rather have him get better defensively than turn him into the next Puljujarvi. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

To me the biggest battle is Hoglander vs Kuzmenko.

I hate that everyone is penciling Hogs outside the lineup/in Abbotsford, he can create offense & has that honey badger element. And clearly this regime hasn't seen Hogs at his best. (Which worries me tbh)

Obviously there's a ton of depth, & Kuzmenko needs opportunity to establish himself, but Hogs has alot of talent/ability too let's not have that go by the wayside.

He's waiver exempt, only 21, and was likely rushed/missed some development. He'll be a better player long term, playing top minutes in Abby, refining his defensive play etc than sitting in the press box here.

Hoglander, Karlsson, Klimovich should be fun to watch in Abby this year.

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

Hoglander may have been rushed a little bit. He's only 21, once he can correct some defensive play issues he could be a beast for us like BB said. A year in Abby won't hurt him at all. 

They were talking about this on 650 yesterday.  They were speculating that if Hogs doesn't make the top 12 clearly that he goes to Abbotsford.  Jannik Hansen has been saying all along that he felt Hoglander should have been in the AHL.  He'll do better playing a lot and on special teams in Abby rather than sitting in the press box

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, aGENT said:

He's waiver exempt, only 21, and was likely rushed/missed some development. He'll be a better player long term, playing top minutes in Abby, refining his defensive play etc than sitting in the press box here.

that might be a future line right there. This is another good point, he can develop some chemistry with the other top prospects.

I know every camp needs its dramatic story lines, but I just don't see how a season in Abby focused on getting him to be a more complete player is a problem. Maybe we're lucky we don't have to rush him anymore?

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, aGENT said:

That's a heck of a line. Maybe JR was already peaking into the future when he said he wanted the Abby Canucks to be the best team in the AHL. Looks like they could be real good anyway.

Maybe a 2nd Line of Bains - Aman - Lockwood ?

• Cheers 3

Just now, Crabcakes said:

They were talking about this on 650 yesterday.  They were speculating that if Hogs doesn't make the top 12 clearly that he goes to Abbotsford.  Jannik Hansen has been saying all along that he felt Hoglander should have been in the AHL.  He'll do better playing a lot and on special teams in Abby rather than sitting in the press box

it would be a real shame to waste him in the pressbox. 

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There is some talent down on the farm who have a real future this year.  Even I might venture to watch a few Baby Canuck games this year

Lockwood isn't making the big team either this year.  Their top 9 is going to be strong too

Hoglander Karlson Klimovich

Lockwood Dries Bains

Focht Aman DiGuiseppe

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Vermette9 said:

Again .... how do you know they said they didn't want a translator. And podz was 18 in a totally different country and hardly could speak the language. Anyway to each their own . Not something I'd get butthurt over.

How do you know they had one at the ready? 

Kuzmenko isn’t in a different country and speaks and understands English fluently? Interesting. 

To each their own indeed.

It was a nitpick of mine, not something that required you getting your o-ring so sore over. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, combover said:

Pearson top 3.ha , he’s a third liner on his good days. 
No way horvat resigns if he’s pencilled as a third line Center  i can hear his agent now asking for a trade.
A guy in his prime on a contract a year after career best goals best face-off man on the team rewarded with a demotion. 

Telling Bo he’s the third line Center is the same as telling him 
To  not resign and to ask for a trade. 

This is the line that puzzles me. I know the idea is to keep coming hard at the other teams with four lines but Miller is your best player and him being with two of the 

slower forwards baffles me. I'm hoping it gets changed up for regular season. Boeser would be ok there as a shooter but not Pearson. He's at a third hedging on 

fourth line player now. He worked not too bad with Horvat for a long time. My thoughts are Miller should center Podkolzin and Garland.

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

I feel like you could put different spins on this....it's informal and the expectation is low in an interview like this. It's more a welcome gesture than getting any real "information" in my view.

Team bonding is a very big deal and perhaps that is part of this...the comradery of having the two guys standing together and helping each other versus isolating a player with a translator/outsider. I actually feel it's good for them as teammates to go through the process together. I felt it kept it light/fun and an interview with a translator can feel much more "formal" and focused/intense.

I suppose the nitpick was born out of how the local media starts in with their inanity, as demonstrated from years of said inanity. 

I just expected someone from PR/Media to shield the new guys from that by having a translator there just in case something was said the wrong way or interpreted the wrong way and then the media runs with the mistake. 

I agree it’s an informal setting, somewhat. The setting shouldn’t, in my opinion and apparently not a very shared opinion, that the assets should have been in place by a professional sports organization for the media scrum, separately from, like you said, the rest of the team bonding time.  

I just didn’t think it was a good look to have a player translate at length for another player, though I’m sure he didn’t mind. It was obvious that things weren’t being translated properly though. 

None of that changes how welcomed the players are I’m sure. Just an observation and opinion from an outside pov. 

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I suppose the nitpick was born out of how the local media starts in with their inanity, as demonstrated from years of said inanity. 

I just expected someone from PR/Media to shield the new guys from that by having a translator there just in just something was said the wrong way or interpreted the wrong way and then the media runs with the mistake. 

I agree it’s an informal setting, somewhat. The setting shouldn’t, in my opinion and apparently not a very shared opinion, that the assets should have been in place by a professional sports organization for the media scrum, separately from, like you said, the rest of the team bonding time.  

I just didn’t think it was a good look to have a player translate at length for another player, though I’m sure he didn’t mind. It was obvious that things weren’t being translated properly though. 

None of that changes how welcomed the players are I’m sure. Just an observation and opinion from an outside pov. 

you had expectations of our local media? oh dude :picard:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would agree with this as well.  I couldn't understand not even one word both those guys said on the ice today for the entire practice.  I might as well be talking to myself.  Maybe you should hire them a Russian interpreter who also speaks Swedish.  All I know in Russian are the swear words for crying out loud...  :sadno:

Mickey did say something about maybe they'd be better off to learn Swedish.

What are some of these Russian swear words of which you speak?

(I'll get the soap ready.)

These 2 and Petey 3 on 3 look unstoppable and unbeatable.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Muttley said:

This is the line that puzzles me. I know the idea is to keep coming hard at the other teams with four lines but Miller is your best player and him being with two of the 

slower forwards baffles me. I'm hoping it gets changed up for regular season. Boeser would be ok there as a shooter but not Pearson. He's at a third hedging on 

fourth line player now. He worked not too bad with Horvat for a long time. My thoughts are Miller should center Podkolzin and Garland.

Last year Pearson and Miller played great together.

Pearson isnt a flashy player at all and i think because he isnt shifty he seems slow. But this line will be a great veteran line that will own the boards and just play very smart hockey relying on IQ experience and composure

5 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Last year Pearson and Miller played great together.

Pearson isnt a flashy player at all and i think because he isnt shifty he seems slow. But this line will be a great veteran line that will own the boards and just play very smart hockey relying on IQ experience and composure

Still don't buy it. Person's numbers don't indicate he had success until last year points wise. He did rack more up With JT, but most would. A whack of Miller's

points came on the power play. Miller is deceptively fast and I, for one would like to see him with speedier wingers. See what happens as things carry on.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Numbered lines are fodder for fans and the media.

I bet in that room the top 3 are interchangeable top lines. 1 a 1b 1c or they just collectively call themselves the top 9.

Or they don't care at all they just want to win hockey games.

His agent might use it as leverage but Bo is a smart guy and he knows he's the centre on the match up line. I'm sure he relishes that role

Especially if he continues playing on 1st PP, potting all those one timers from the slot.

29 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Still don't buy it. Person's numbers don't indicate he had success until last year points wise. He did rack more up With JT, but most would. A whack of Miller's

points came on the power play. Miller is deceptively fast and I, for one would like to see him with speedier wingers. See what happens as things carry on.

Striking a balance on the team is key and some nights we may require bigger bodies who can dig the puck out of the corners. Pearson is probably one of the better players that can do that playing in the top 9. 

I can see a lot of Pearson digging out the puck from the corner, passing it to Miller and Miller setting up Boeser for the Goal this year. ::D

• Cheers 4