The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

22 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Very different from this fake tirade/melt down when he was in Minny. 

Have no issue with this whatsoever. Sometimes players need to hear it. It's the NHL they can handle it. Can't baby them and tell them they're great all the time. They already get their ass kissed enough. 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Agree completely. Benning was impatient rushed Hogs as he did with other players. Spending some time in Abby unlearning some bad habits and playing better in his own zone (not to mention rebuilding his confidence) would be a good things for him. There will be injuries on the big team and Hogs can be the first call-up if he does well in Abby.

Travis Green 

Benning wasn't the one making cuts and deciding who's on the team. 

30 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think you're thinking of a different player. Night in and night out, Pearson is one of our most consistent guys.

I also don't think they are looking at having a 3rd line specifically, I think the plan is to reduce everyone's playing time by having 1a, 1b, 1c and then an energy line, which makes total sense. We have the worst travel schedule in the league, need to have players getting more balanced playing time. We have the depth to roll 3 solid lines.

How many coaches now have had him play big roles? Fans still have a hard time accepting while he's not a line driver, he is a very responsible reliable 3m ish guy. Zero issue with pears. Locker room is a big deal too and I think he's not just some redundant outcast some want to believe haha

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

why rush him tho? if he can become a better overall player why is that a problem? he's not a tweener he's still quite young. I'd rather have him get better defensively than turn him into the next Puljujarvi. 

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

He's waiver exempt, only 21, and was likely rushed/missed some development. He'll be a better player long term, playing top minutes in Abby, refining his defensive play etc than sitting in the press box here.

Hoglander, Karlsson, Klimovich should be fun to watch in Abby this year.

To me Hogs is a legit top 9 NHL player, I don't think he was rushed nor do I think he's on the wrong track.

In his career thus-far his points p/60 is 4th on the team & Goals p/60 is 3rd. He's been really good all things considered. 

Its a practical scenario cap wise, but I think Hogs should be in the NHL. 

5 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

It's not Hogs vs Kuz. Kuz has a spot locked. You don't leave Russia for the pressbox.

Hogs is overrated on here. On a positive note, he's great as a 13th forwars and unfortunatley 1 foward will ger hurt in camp.

Kuz has a guaranteed opportunity, if he's not clicking & Hogs goes over a PPG in the pre-season it'll be hard to hold Hogs down.

Kuzmenko has to established himself, if not that's the spot Hogs can take.

And I disagree that he's overrated.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

How many coaches now have had him play big roles? Fans still have a hard time accepting while he's not a line driver, he is a very responsible reliable 3m ish guy. Zero issue with pears. Locker room is a big deal too and I think he's not just some redundant outcast some want to believe haha

There are a lot of fans who equate flashy with effective. If he's not pulling off Pettersson's type of dekes out there, then he's a bottom feeder.

Then there's the fans (us) who understand that it takes all types of players to be effective in the NHL, including guys who are dependable defensively and you can trust out there in the last minute of a 1 goal game, to defend. Pearson has a solid top speed, but he's not going to overpower a Pettersson with his first 2 step acceleration, but he's one of the guys I want in front of the net, making it hard for a goalie to see, or defending our net. He understands his role on the team, extremely well and how to be effective in it.

• Cheers 2