The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I have a feeling the Canucks are just strapped for cap space and assets/prospects etc. They have big contracts with OEL and Myers and one of them has to go. My guess is it'll be  Myers. Some of their current player are untradeable. Nothing they can do, except put them back in the lineup. 

It might take 2 years before the Canucks are able to do some actual major improvements, to make them contenders. By then, Kuzmenko, Pearson, Garland, Dickinson and Myers will most likely be gone.

The D is what it is this season, and the team is just going to have to play much better defensively. The goal this year is playoffs. 2024/25 will be the Cup run.

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

I'm hoping that in the split squad games, we see lines 1 and 3 stay in Vancouver and 2 and 4 elsewhere and switch vice versa 

Guys who will play together need to gel during camp. 

Last year, way too much time in camp / preseason was spent trying to decide whether we want digiuseppi or Petan etc.

We know who the top 9 are. Only guy battling there is hogz so keep him in the mix. 

The 4th line is between Dickinson, Dakota, Lazar, Lockwood 

We need Bruce to cut the camp roster down immediately where we have 26 forwards and 14 defence. 

Coach gotta come out and say cuts happen before game 1 so bring your best all throughout camp and scrimmages because that might be your only chance. 

I'm hoping camp is used to reiterate and coach structure and systems with the players that will be here rather than evaluating 13-15th forward talent

Yeah it's important to get these lines straight. Heck of a task considering all the line-ups we've seen here. Although, I'm sure BB has an idea of who he wants to try where. A few new guys in Aman, and Karlsson, etc., that need looks but otherwise just getting the line combos worked out is imperative. It should be very interesting how it plays out. A guy like Joshua needs to have a good camp but we pretty much know who is going to be on the squad with how deep our forwards are. I could see some defence guys like Keeper staying around longer.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I have a feeling the Canucks are just strapped for cap space and assets/prospects etc. They have big contracts with OEL and Myers and one of them has to go. My guess is it'll be  Myers. Some of their current player are untradeable. Nothing they can do, except put them back in the lineup. 

It might take 2 years before the Canucks are able to do some actual major improvements, to make them contenders. By then, Kuzmenko, Pearson, Garland, Dickinson and Myers will most likely be gone.

The D is what it is this season, and the team is just going to have to play much better defensively. The goal this year is playoffs. 2024/25 will be the Cup run.

There are very few teams that aren't strapped for cap space. Expect roughly half the league to operate with less than 1 million in cap space for the season and close to 1/3rd of the league operating in LTIR.

Good luck making deals lol

They (the Canucks) really like having training camp at Whistler. I think this is the 3rd time in the last 10 years they have had it up there. Can’t blame them as it’s not far from Vancouver and it’s a beautiful ski/snowboard town. Meadow Park Sports Centre isn’t the biggest barn but I’m happy they keep coming back to the mountain. 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

I'll take an early pre training camp stab at the opening night roster. I think it looks pretty solid, lots of depth in Abby too.. at least at forward and goal.

Kuzmenko Pettersson Podkolzin

Garland Miller Boeser

Pearson Horvat Mikheyev

Joshua Lazar Hoglander

(Dickinson)

Ekman-Larsson Hughes

DeKeyser Meyers

Rathbone Poolman

(Dermott Schenn)

Demko

Martin

I like, really like this forward line up proposed.  The only guy ''losing out'' is Hoglander. He is, however, a skater and a hustler, more physical than credited? A puck winner, puck hound on the boards.  Actually ideal, will provide instant energy, for a 4th line role if that is what he is handed. Last year he had groin problems all year.  He looked like a 2knd liner to me as a rookie. Of course then we added Garland, which also reduced his exposure to 2knd PP and guys who could pass him the puck. Podz and Boeser could be interchangeable; Boeser played best with Petey IMO. A well laid out line up sir.

Dekeyser is 6'3'' and can skate. At least he used to be able to skate. He did not look comfortable on a Detroit team that improved, not just this year, also the year before. Clunky, missed plays. Maybe he is just worn at 32 years old, hampered by wear and tear? Not the athlete that could hand speed from forwards, was composed and beat people to pucks when he broke in to the NHL. I think Dermott and Rathbone will play more than him if he makes it on his PTO. Not sure this is the D line up; but of course nobody likes any of our line charts at D?  

Honest question; is Poolman healed and ready to play? Otherwise Schenn takes those minutes. 

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sounds like Hughes still really wants to play with Schenn. 

IMO; Let him. It doesn't affect his time on the power play and it worked well. On his chat from the golf trip, he said he's open to pretty much anything to help the team.

He brought up Schenn's name more then once. Makes me think he was comfortable with it.

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sounds like Hughes still really wants to play with Schenn. 

Over the last 9 months, the Canucks failed to get Quinn a RD (and I'm not sure Bear is the answer). Now it's forcing the Canucks to have to possibly use him on the right side with OEL. Not sure how that partnership will go.

Also, Poolman is such a ?  One hit could end his season. 

Rathbone is a small rookie, and who knows how he'll do against the world's best, full time. 

the thing I find interesting about moving Hughes over to the right is, that last season there was much talk about Myers being too offensive causing OEL to play too much defense

that what is needed is a defensive player to play with Hughes, and a defensive player to play with OEL to allow OEL freedom to get back to offense

While playing Hughes and OEL together give them both a high minute guy to play with,

it still doesn't free OEL up to roam

and I really don't see a viable 3-4 pairing

time will tell I guess 

• Cheers 1