The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Who Else is Pumped For This Season?  

I want Hogs to beat Pearson for a top 9 role. There, I said it. 
Petey looks like a Superstar 

Up front team Abby looks real good, with Karlsson, Aman, Bains, Wouters, Nielson and Klimovich but our Defence isn’t very deep and they’re going to miss Rathbone. They have no replacement for him and all our good defencemen are in Linga the SHL or Allsvenskin.  Was hoping Jurmo could come to Abby and be that guy this year.  

Pearson is higher up the depth chart than #9 right now.  He's just too good at the walls.  Look at the video with above with Pettersson line vs Miller line.  The Miller line was in the offensive zone almost the entire time and most of that has to do with Pearson along the walls.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

3: The Hoglander fit

The three attacking lines Boudreau deployed in camp didn’t feature a regular in 2021-22, Nils Hoglander. The little Swede is coming back from groin surgery but says he’s fighting fit.

He’s skated with likely AHLers Nils Aman and Linus Karlsson, but hasn’t looked like an AHLer so far. He’s been among the most energetic players on the ice, drawing praise from Boudreau on Friday.

Saturday, Allvin acknowledged that adding a quartet of NHL forwards in Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Curtis Lazar and Dakota Joshua was putting pressure on Hoglander’s spot on the team — but said that he was pleased with how Hoglander was responding.

Haggy has been, you know, coming in here in great shape. And that’s just a good start for him, (he needs to) just continue to push here. And obviously, he’s a young player, but his tenacity and speed, energy and all that, that’s what we want to see here.”

Bulletin board material for Höglander? ;) 

Can’t decide whether he should be be more insulted by the article’s “the little Swede” comment or by the quote where his own GM apparently calls him “Haggy.” :lol:

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Bulletin board material for Höglander? ;) 

Can’t decide whether he should be be more insulted by the article’s “the little Swede” comment or by the quote where his own GM apparently calls him “Haggy?” :lol:

Yeah, “Haggy” was just simultaneously :picard: and :lol:   

19 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

The best teams have top 9 players on their 4th line, even in the press box.  Sometimes they are old guys like Corey Perry in Tampa / Dallas before?

Hoglander add's a different dimension of speed and agility, wears out lesser athletes which creates all kinds of problems for opposing teams.

He is, healthy, a weapon which the coach will distribute between lines to create a spark. And only one injury removed from constant deployment in top 9. Undeniable energy & compete! 

He will have plenty of ice time even if we are deep.

Which is fine at age 21.

Good point, where was Miller on the Lightning roster?  A 3rd liner turned into our #1 centre 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

Who Else is Pumped For This Season?  

I want Hogs to beat Pearson for a top 9 role. There, I said it. 
Petey looks like a Superstar 

Up front team Abby looks real good, with Karlsson, Aman, Bains, Wouters, Nielson and Klimovich but our Defence isn’t very deep and they’re going to miss Rathbone. They have no replacement for him and all our good defencemen are in Linga the SHL or Allsvenskin.  Was hoping Jurmo could come to Abby and be that guy this year.  

I'm super pumped for the season to start!  

On the subject of defensive depth, I just think that we're missing one top 4 d-man.  I actually think that we have an abundance of 6th/7th d-men.  For shits and giggles, let's pencil in these guys as the top 5:  Hughes, OEL, Myers, Dermott, and Poolman.  I would feel comfortable with any of these following guys as our 6th/7th d-man:  

Schenn

Burroughs 

DeKeyser 

Juulsen 

Rathbone 

Wolanin as a wildcard because I haven't seen him play despite him having NHL games under his belt. 

So by my count, we have 5 legitimate NHL d-men who could step into that 6th/7th spot.  I'm actually really worried that we'll lose one or two of them on waivers. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1