The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

46 minutes ago, billabong said:

Is poolman not the X factor for the blueline? 

if he can stabilize his game then everything falls into place a little nicer

i really hope he can be that guy he was brought in to be

hughes-poolman

oel-myers

rathbone-schenn

dermott-Burroughs 

Yup, and we will find out in about two-three weeks.  

You can't expect a guy to have his season cut short twice last year and then suddenly to be back to 100% after one pre-season game.  

Not sure how much to read into today's lines. I am guessing that Petey, Kuz, and Garland might be rested on Saturday. They are due for a rest. The other 4 lines all feature battles for position. In particular, PDG, Aman and Karlsso might be fighting for the 13th man spot to start the season. And Hogz gets to continue his campaign to be in the top 9.

As for D, it looks like the DeKeyser experiment might be coming to an end.  He has not looked good. He is slow, contributes little to the offense, contributes little to the physical game, and his defensive play is not particularly good. If Dermott is ok, I expect DeK to be let go from his PTO. 

And it looks like Hughes might be back on the left side. I really wanted the experiment with Hughes on the right side to work but I have to agree that it did not contribute much.  I think Hughes looks better on the left side than on the right side,  particularly in the D zone (as would be expected). But even in the O zone he looks better on the left. And shifting him to the right did not really help anything because having him and OEL together opens up a big hole on the left side -- and DeK cannot fill that hole.  Maybe Dermott can fill that hole when he comes back but, for now, it makes sense to me for OEL and Hughes to both be on the left, partnered by Myers and Poolman respectively.  That leaves Schenn and Rathbone to play together. This is pretty similar to last year's start, at least until Dermott can play, but is probably the best the team can do for now. 

Edited by JamesB
  • Cheers 1

Just got back from Vegas. Saw the Knights thump the Avs 7-1 the other night. Really nice, fun building. They have this thing where if the Knights score 2 goals in a period, everyone at the game gets 2 free tacos at Taco Bell. Neat idea, but did not collect. Kind of funny how the fans yell "SHAME SHAME!"  over and over when the other team takes a penalty. The mascot, drum line and cheerleaders came parading through our hotel (NY NY) just before the game. T-Mobile Arena is basically next door. They sure know how to get the fans fired up in Vegas. For fun I put $20 down on the Canucks to win it all this year :rolleyes: Never know. Wins $1,000 anyway. GCG! 

Then last night, my wife and I went to see Iron Maiden in Seattle. Still great after all these years. 

Fun trip, but I missed Canucks hockey talk etc over the last week. Can't wait to get this season started. 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What's the deal with Dries. I'm all for giving people a chance. But he wasn't that great last night.

Ya, he wasn't good at all. They must want to have a look at him since he scored a lot in Abby last year, but other than that there is not much there, just a 28 year old smurf. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

God they're really going to ruin Hughes' life for a few games pairing him with Poolman again, aren't they.

Maybe they felt Hughes has had it too easy and thought it'd be a good challenge to anchor him down with that absolute trainwreck poolguy. 

And based on your profile photo, you know all about trainwrecks!

3 hours ago, billabong said:

Is poolman not the X factor for the blueline? 

if he can stabilize his game then everything falls into place a little nicer

i really hope he can be that guy he was brought in to be

hughes-poolman

oel-myers

rathbone-schenn

dermott-Burroughs 

No he's bad.

A 30 year old dman with 160 NHL games.

Give me a break.

• Thanks 1