The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

59 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Just got back from Vegas. Saw the Knights thump the Avs 7-1 the other night. Really nice, fun building. They have this thing where if the Knights score 2 goals in a period, everyone at the game gets 2 free tacos at Taco Bell. Neat idea, but did not collect. Kind of funny how the fans yell "SHAME SHAME!"  over and over when the other team takes a penalty. The mascot, drum line and cheerleaders came parading through our hotel (NY NY) just before the game. T-Mobile Arena is basically next door. They sure know how to get the fans fired up in Vegas. For fun I put $20 down on the Canucks to win it all this year :rolleyes: Never know. Wins $1,000 anyway. GCG! 

Then last night, my wife and I went to see Iron Maiden in Seattle. Still great after all these years. 

Fun trip, but I missed Canucks hockey talk etc over the last week. Can't wait to get this season started. 

Man I want to see a game in Vegas so much!

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Im going to start watching JR a bit more closely.  Hes the type of player who I think will get better as the season goes along/gets adjusted.  For now, as long as he can be solid defensively and be consistent with simple plays he will be on the right path.  

Who is JR?

13 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

No he's bad.

A 30 year old dman with 160 NHL games.

Give me a break.

He's worse than bad. 

He's perfectly acceptable on the penalty kill, blocking shots, icing pucks, etc. but beyond that he is the worst "NHL'er" that we have by far. 

He basically thinks he's quinn hughes without any of the skill or hockey sense. Going for a skate with the puck and losing it is his preferred way to play, rather than letting his more skilled teammates run things.
Offence goes to die on his stick, and beyond that, he chooses the absolute worst times to pinch, leaving his partner dealing with way too many 2 on 1s. 

Buy him out and bury him in the AHL for the love of god. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What's the deal with Dries. I'm all for giving people a chance. But he wasn't that great last night.

Dries is almost good enough.

He does a lot of things fairly well and he is not the wimp portrayed by other posters; he is pretty solid, not big.

Imo, he's getting a look now; it's up to him to run with it.

There isn't much room in the top 12 forwards; and lots of competition for a possible 13th.

Most likely going to Abby, and we will know what we are getting if we call him up.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

So Hughes is now gonna play with Poolman.  I kinda figured this would happen.  Hughes misplayed a few easy passes last night because he was trying to take them on his backhand not forehand.  He also got turned around in a corner and got hit because of it.  I think our star Dman needs to play the left side so we can maximize his talents.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

No he's bad.

A 30 year old dman with 160 NHL games.

Give me a break.

He's a frustrating player because he's actually quite physically imposing out there.

He just doesn't impose... physically. 

Guy can skate well enough, good size (lean and strong in a modern D-man kinda way)..... just doesn't have the IQ for the big league game, not a very physical defender, and with limited experience despite his age (injury prone). 

But if he somehow figured it all out, I'd be thrilled. Of course.

13 minutes ago, nergish said:

He's a frustrating player because he's actually quite physically imposing out there.

He just doesn't impose... physically. 

Guy can skate well enough, good size (lean and strong in a modern D-man kinda way)..... just doesn't have the IQ for the big league game, not a very physical defender, and with limited experience despite his age (injury prone). 

But if he somehow figured it all out, I'd be thrilled. Of course.

He has the offensive instincts of a bag of doritos. 

"yes but eeergh poolman isnt paid for his offensive instincts"

okay but its a problem when everytime he touches the puck he manages to murder any chance of his teammates generating anything offensively. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

He has the offensive instincts of a bag of doritos. 

"yes but eeergh poolman isnt paid for his offensive instincts"

okay but its a problem when everytime he touches the puck he manages to murder any chance of his teammates generating anything offensively. 

Poolman is a “slow thinker”.  He has stone hands too.  Very bad combination.  He can skate fine, but (due to his lack of processing and poor puck skills) he plays a VERY SLOW game.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Poolman is a “slow thinker”.  He has stone hands too.  Very bad combination.  He can skate fine, but (due to his lack of processing and poor puck skills) he plays a VERY SLOW game.  

He is an ordinary bustaroo or does he go bonsai status?

• Haha 1