The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

Would be nice, but how many times have we also seen his partner being forced to deal with a 2 on 1 because Poolman thinks he's ed jovanovski and makes a terribly timed pinch.

Poolman is a good skater, no disputing that, but often he has to use it to somewhat bail himself out. 

Dermott is about as good a skater, with better defensive IQ and not a trainwreck offensively

And Dermott is pretty meh. He's a 6/7 guy. Poolman 8 or 9 depending on health.

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Was reading the “The Hockey News” magazine.  It had the Canucks projected as 5th in the Pacific.  Behind Edmonton, Calgary, Vegas, and LA.

:(

It could definitely shake out that way.  They need to have a good start to the season 

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

Was reading the “The Hockey News” magazine.  It had the Canucks projected as 5th in the Pacific.  Behind Edmonton, Calgary, Vegas, and LA.

:(

I'm not as high on Vegas and LA as other outlets are. I know there's Canucks bias here but I do believe the Canucks have the skill to be third in the division. The problem is that Vegas/LA/Van are all in the same tier in my mind. So they are interchangeable in my mind.

Vegas has an elite forward group but there's huge question marks in regards to Jack Eichel and Mark Stone's abilities to return from their injuries and without Max Pacioretty, Vegas got thinner up front. Also, with Lehner out for the season, the Golden Knights are in pray now mode that one of Logan Thompson/Laurent Brossoit/Adin Hill can become a bonafide starter this year. I'm high on Logan Thompson as an NHL netminder but I'm not sure he's ready to suddenly become the starter for Vegas and Brossoit/Hill have never shown me that they can be anything more than backups at the NHL level. Vegas still has a very good defensive core.

The LA Kings have a lot of great young players but they're like the Canucks from 2-3 years ago where some of those young players are still developing and will have some peaks and valleys this season. Byfield didn't impress last season in the NHL over 40 games, Gabe Villardi had a great AHL season last season but he's injury prone, Lias Andersson has some question marks about his role in the Kings depth chart, and some of there other rookies haven't quite shown they can make the jump the NHL yet. They do have some great vets in Doughty and Kopitar leading the way. There's some questions in net in regards to if Quick will regress after a bounce back season (after a few rough seasons) or if Quick will up his level of play because he's in a contract year. I feel like the Kings and Canucks are very similar so it's a real toss up. Only difference is that the Kings prospect system is much stronger than the Canucks because more of the Canucks high end prospects have graduated to the NHL ranks already.

With Vancouver, we know the issues. D-core, on paper, is one of the worst in the league. Slow and doesn't transition the puck super well despite having one of the best young defensemen in hockey in Quinn Hughes. Canucks, in turn, have one of the best young goalies in hockey as their starter in Demko and the forward group is one of the most exciting in hockey being led by Petey and Miller. The questions are can Boudreau keep the momentum up from last season and take this team to the playoffs. In my opinion, Boudreau should be able to get this Canucks team to the playoffs. I'm not sure how good they'll be in the playoffs but honestly, what this core needs, is some playoff exposure. Let this team get in consistently and then you can start amping up the pressure. Baby steps.

So yeah, I think Vegas/LA/Vancouver are interchangeable at this point although I do think Vancouver has a slight edge over the other two because Vancouver has a few less unknowns then the other two teams.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, RakuRaku said:

So you're telling me we gave up a second round pick for a meh D-man?? Allvin screwed up??

3rd round pick that we had as an extra after somehow acquiring one for Hamonic.

It was found money. Worth the gamble for Dermott, who I think people are undervaluing.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Poolman and Dekeyser looked pretty bad last game, I think Burroughs is easily outplaying them. That terrible rebound goal (3rd whack) Poolman allowed was dreadful.

Rathbone hasn't been fantastic but hasn't been too bad.

So far I think Dermott and Schenn are easily safe in our top 5.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Poolman and Dekeyser looked pretty bad last game, I think Burroughs is easily outplaying them. That terrible rebound goal (3rd whack) Poolman allowed was dreadful.

Hughes

OEL

Myers

Schenn

Dermott

Bone

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

And Dermott is pretty meh. He's a 6/7 guy. Poolman 8 or 9 depending on health.

Poolman was number 4 D on a Winnipeg team that made the playoffs.  

He joined a new team with new systems that all stunk at the start of last year. He didn't settle in when the coaching staff got changed. Out of the 40 or so games that he played, there were 10-15 off ones and the rest were okay.  

You guys are being way too critical of Poolman, I feel like people screamed that it was a bad deal last summer and then everyone put on blinders and didn't actually watch him play. 

He's nowhere near as bad as he's made to seem. 

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

That was DeKayser that let the guy have a few whacks, but Poolman was on the ice as well.  

Have we all gone mad here? Poolman just had half a season off and then the summer came. Are we expecting him to be back after one pre-season game?  

It's going to take him 10-15 games at least to get the timing and positioning back.

Like others have said, I think Poolman needs time to get back into NHL shape.  Not fair to judge him at this point.

I really wanted the management to sign Stralman to a PTO, but Boston signed him up and he's playing well for him.

He will definitely get an offer for the coming season.  He would have been the ideal depth RD (who could probably

end up in a permanent role) all at minimum salary.

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

So was the QH experiment on the right side not good enough?

I thought him and OEL were really good together considering it was their first game.

I would still like to see OEL on the right playing with Hughes though.

Problem is Dekeyser doesn’t look like the solution for Myers partner so they have no choice but to drop OEL down to play with him.

So the plan now looks like they’ll try and see if Poolman can somehow work with Hughes, and then if that fails I guess they go back to the Hughes-Schenn pairing?

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1