The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I thought him and OEL were really good together considering it was their first game.

I would still like to see OEL on the right playing with Hughes though.

Problem is Dekeyser doesn’t look like the solution for Myers partner so they have no choice but to drop OEL down to play with him.

So the plan now looks like they’ll try and see if Poolman can somehow work with Hughes, and then if that fails I guess they go back to the Hughes-Schenn pairing?

Big miss this summer was not getting a partner for Hughes.  Almost as big as the Benning miss losing Tanev walk.  Perfect Hughes partner.  :picard:

• Cheers 1

Need to start to put out an attempt at a regular season lineup.  Wolanin looked better than poolman.  Think that says more about poolman.  

Need to play to get some winning habits going.  Have not been up to snuff yet.  

• Like 1

Hoping someone unexpectedly pops up on waivers that the Canucks can grab. Won’t be a top four defenseman but someone who can fit in short term in that spot because no one looks ready. 

Top 4: Hughes OEL Myers _____

Bottom 4: Schenn Burroughs _____ _____

Rathbone  - AHL

Poolman - Waivers

Dekeyser - Released

Dermott - IR 

23 minutes ago, Canadian said:

Hoping someone unexpectedly pops up on waivers that the Canucks can grab. Won’t be a top four defenseman but someone who can fit in short term in that spot because no one looks ready. 

Top 4: Hughes OEL Myers _____

Bottom 4: Schenn Burroughs _____ _____

Rathbone  - AHL

Poolman - Waivers

Dekeyser - Released

Dermott - IR 

Where's Brady Keeper?

• Thanks 2

Poolman dreadful again, I wonder if we waive him at the right time a desperate team may pick him up but I doubt it.

We missed Hughes against Seattle but Burroughs brings some intensity no one else does. OEL and Myers aren't quite playing with it just yet either and Rathbone isn't zipping pucks as fast as I'd hoped.

We're in trouble on D if we don't get better. Again, Hughes and Schenn are our only decent defencemen. I wonder if Bruce mixes things up and splits OEL and Myers to inject some energy into them too. Hope Dermott isn't out too long because I think he can play with a bit more speed and intensity than what we're seeing so far.

• Huggy Bear 1

Anyone think Philly or Columbus are excellent training partners for a blockbuster?

Also think with Miller signing, seems like Horvat's play has dropped right off (lost a step, not showing much leadership). Wonder if the team is going to trade him sooner than later and announce Miller as Captain.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Abbotsford Canucks training camp begins on October 5th. We should expect a lot of players to be sent down in the next 24 hours or so.

Game day tomorrow (Oct 3) 'should' be the last time we dress a hodge-podge of almost-good-enoughs and wannabes, and then as you say, down go the cuts.

I have enjoyed all the preseason games regardless of the scores but I won't mind seeing the end of the overly-negative posts extrapolating doom and gloom from the preseason games.

Games Oct 3, 5, and 7, and then the Real Thing on Wednesday the 12th, in Edmonton.

Preseason game in Edmonton tomorrow (6pm) may foreshadow the start of the regular season somewhat, and maybe we get a chance to play against Virtanen.

24 minutes ago, BureBurrito said:

Anyone think Philly or Columbus are excellent training partners for a blockbuster?

Also think with Miller signing, seems like Horvat's play has dropped right off (lost a step, not showing much leadership). Wonder if the team is going to trade him sooner than later and announce Miller as Captain.

Horvat and a  couple others were the only ones trying last night.. where are you getting this from? Thin air?

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I thought him and OEL were really good together considering it was their first game.

Problem is Dekeyser doesn’t look like the solution for Myers partner so they have no choice but to drop OEL down to play with him.

So the plan now looks like they’ll try and see if Poolman can somehow work with Hughes, and then if that fails I guess they go back to the Hughes-Schenn pairing?

OEL can absorb the hit on his off side better too, it is a little risky letting Hughes get caught looking away from the play in the corner

• Cheers 2

On 10/1/2022 at 11:12 AM, DeNiro said:

I'd like to see Burroughs with Myers as he keeps his game simple, has good positioning and adds more toughness on the backend.  It's a shame that in over 8 years of drafting, Hughes is the only top 4 D to emerge.  Hell, we haven't had any Dman emerge from our developement system and that's a damn shame.   Hopefully Rathbone can mark the team and elevate into the top 4 as he's looked good in pre-season so far.  

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Have we announced any assignments? I think we will be sending a lot of guys down in the next 48 hours, reduce by about 15 or so.

I’m hoping Dickinson and Poolman are on that list.

• Cheers 2

I'm hoping if Dermott is healthy to start, we see something like this:

Hughes - Schenn

OEL - Dermott

Rathbone - Myers

Burroughs

A young guy who can skate well on each pairing with a veteran who can play the shutdown role. Burroughs probably steps in every now and then but Poolman should be nowhere near the team. I don't see him outplaying any of these guys.

• Cheers 1