The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

Anyone think Philly or Columbus are excellent training partners for a blockbuster?

Also think with Miller signing, seems like Horvat's play has dropped right off (lost a step, not showing much leadership). Wonder if the team is going to trade him sooner than later and announce Miller as Captain.

1 hour ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Horvat and a  couple others were the only ones trying last night.. where are you getting this from? Thin air?

Horvat's pre-season has been disappointing so far but Miller has been worse. Of course, both guys are vets with established positions on the team. It is a long season and they are pacing themselves (coasting) and trying to avoid injury, which is what most vets in their situation do. 

Against Seattle on Saturday, in the data, the Horvat line was bad (significantly negative Corsi and expected goals differential) but the Miller line was worse. And dboth guys looked completely ineffective on the PP.

By the "eye-test" (as I see it) I would say that Horvat has been putting in a bit more effort and has been playing better.Miller has talked about being better in the D zone but has not shown it yet.

Anyway, it is too early to make the call on Horvat v. Miller. After 2 or 3 regular season games we should get a better read.

39 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Have we announced any assignments? I think we will be sending a lot of guys down in the next 48 hours, reduce by about 15 or so.

22 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I’m hoping Dickinson and Poolman are on that list.

They won't be, but Poolman certainly deserves to be based on his play so far. JR said in a summer interview that Poolman can play "top 4". I would say, not a decent team. He shouldn't even play in the third pairing on  a decent team. Even at his best he is no more than a 3rd pairing D. 

Dickinson has not been too bad. He is not good enough for his cap hit and, like the Poolman signing, was a typical Benning mistake -- desperation short run moves that have negative value. However, the line of Joshua, Lazar and Dickinson has been good -- good enough to actually play shutdown at least on a part-time basis. Dickie is the passenger on that line, but his defensive play is solid.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm hoping if Dermott is healthy to start, we see something like this:

Hughes - Schenn

OEL - Dermott

Rathbone - Myers

Burroughs

A young guy who can skate well on each pairing with a veteran who can play the shutdown role. Burroughs probably steps in every now and then but Poolman should be nowhere near the team. I don't see him outplaying any of these guys.

Myers just seems to be a liability no matter who he plays with.

Yes he plays big minutes and a key role on the pk but he seems to make so many unforced errors and bad reads. It seems like any time we’re pinned in our zone for a long period of time it’s because of a Myers error. And don’t get me started on his shot…

Him and Rathbone would be a disaster. Both of them would get caught behind the other teams net on a bad jump up somehow.

Only person I’ve seen him work with is OEL, and that’s at a detriment to his game.

• Cheers 2

I was hoping Hoglander would have a better showing than he has. This has been his big opportunity to leave a good impression, but so far, from what I’ve seen, he hasn’t impressed. It looks like he tries, but he has some pretty big defensive lapses and just not enough offensive skill to make up for his size, unlike some of the other shorties in the team. I hope he still proves me wrong, but unless injuries stack up, I see him on the outside looking in.

I was expecting a larger cut list today. Figured they would want too start building the chemistry of the player and lines. Especially since 1 of the main goals of camp was to get systems down and not get off to a slow start to the season. There should only be 6-8 extra players battling it out for the few undecided spots. Just surprised the cuts weren’t deeper today. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The OP has been updated.

There are currently 48 players remaining on the Canucks roster.

I really thought that they would trim down a lot more than that with 4 games left, thought they would trim down to about 35 - 38 and focus more heavily on a smaller group who have an actual chance of making the team.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

I really thought that they would trim down a lot more than that with 4 games left, thought they would trim down to about 35 - 38 and focus more heavily on a smaller group who have an actual chance of making the team.

Actually, there are only three games left. But I agree with you -- it should be interesting to see who will play tomorrow from the "bubble group".

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Actually, there are only three games left. But I agree with you -- it should be interesting to see who will play tomorrow from the "bubble group".

You're correct, thought they had 4 left. Really makes me think that they should have sent down around another 10 guys today.

Might see more cuts tomorrow before the game. There's a lot of guys there who aren't going to make even the bottom 6, and some just need some additional playing time in Abbotsford before they can be considered.

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

You're correct, thought they had 4 left. Really makes me think that they should have sent down around another 10 guys today.

Might see more cuts tomorrow before the game. There's a lot of guys there who aren't going to make even the bottom 6, and some just need some additional playing time in Abbotsford before they can be considered.

I think some guys are hanging on as Abby isn't open for business?

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

With 48 players on the roster, we could reduce that number to 45 with Boeser, Mikheyev and Dermott(?) injured. That means we would need 22 additional cuts to get down to the 23-man roster.

The players that are for certain going to be cut are: Matt Alfaro, Vincent Arseneau, Arshdeep Bains, Marc Gatcomb, Danila Klimovich, Tristen Nielsen, Michael Regush, Jonn Stevens, Chase Wouters, Guillaume Brisebois, Noah Juulsen, Wyatt Kalynuk, Jett Woo, Collin Delia, Michael DiPietro and Arturs Silovs.

That would be 16 cuts and would bring us down to 29 players with six more cuts needed.

It will be more interesting to see who will be included in the last round of cuts. The players that are in the "bubble" are: Nils Åman, Phil di Giuseppe, Sheldon Dries, Linus Karlsson, William Lockwood, Danny DeKeyser, Brady Keeper and Christian Wolanin.

Also, not sure what the word is on Justin Dowling's status.

Same math and cuts I’m thinking.

3 games remaining in preseason, then it's the Big Time

Do they really need to see more of Arseneau, Stevens, Gatcomb, Kulynuk, etc? Time to get down to business.

The Canucks need to play like a well-oiled machine right off the bat, can't take any games for granted. Everyone needs to be on the same page and I'm concerned they'll be rusty playmaking with line mates when the games matter. Pettersson can't take half a season again warming up and getting comfortable. The main roster should be playing together.

I'm almost expecting a slow start on the road for their first 5 games.   

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Vintage 1